Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 11, 2019, 08:28:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tracker help  (Read 992 times)
Jace
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »

I am a junior who is relatively new to free flight and am in need of a tracker. I would be using this tracker primarily for large rubber models such as F1B and F1G. If anyone could give me pointers on where to get a new or used tracker for less than $200, it would be greatly appreciated.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »

Hmm,
Jace, I don't know of any new tracker systems for $200.00 other than the home made varieties that I've seen some modelers use from the UK. The two types mainly used in the US are the Walston Retrieval System, and Pim Ruyters (from the Netherlands). LL Electronics also make a nice system (US manufacture). All of those cost more than $200.00 new I'm afraid. You might be able to find a used system if you advertise here and on SEN (Scat Electronic News) and NFFS Digest. Someone would probably sell you there old system.

E-mail me at [email protected] and I might be able to find something suitable for you.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »

Jace

As Tony says, even the cheapest systems are well over $200 new, and his suggestion of buying second hand is a good one. I would just add that if you can't find a complete system, buy a bug or two and then get a decent secondhand handheld scanning receiver. Makes such as the Yupiteru MVT7100 and Yaesu typically go for $100 or less on eBay. Don't go for a really cheap brand as the sensitivity isn't as good. You can also make your own high gain directional antenna from plastic pipe, alu tube & coax cable for a few dollars - there are quite a few designs to be found on some of the internet ham radio sites.

Peter
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:20:43 AM »

The heading seems to fit so can any one answer this please? On my last outing, I was getting a very poor and erratic signal from a model I could see on flat open ground (Barkston). Is this an effect due to the aerial being in contact with very wet grass?
Also, can anyone give me a definitive recommendation, including model number, for a replacement receiver at least as good as my ancient Standard C156E?
Bill
Buster11
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 06:25:48 AM »

Yes, wet grass almost certainly the problem. It will earth. or certainly partially blank out, the aerial. For real fun try getting a good signal in wet eight foot high maize at Poitou.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 06:39:07 AM »

I can imagine - and retrieving in that situation must really test ones stamina and devotion to the game!  But what about these latest trackers - with GPS etc. - not far short of it standing up and waving to you and crying "Here I am".  Hmmmm......... seems a game for wimps now!!
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »

A lot of us are now using a Baofeng UV-5RE which can be found on e-bay for less than £20!!!  It was recommended to me by Trevor Grey; it is very good value and I reckon it is as good as my Pym Ruter receiver.
Ron
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »

Thanks Ron, I'll get one.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »

Pim Ruyters (from the Netherlands).
Tmat

the only tracker I've ever had or used was/is a Pim Ruyters that I bought from FAI Model Supply many, many moons ago. I use a Radio Shack receiver, and it has worked OK for me. I can get within 20-25 feet of the airplane in tall corn, and then I just "shade" the antennae using my body (I hold the receiver against my chest and turn until I can't hear the ping. I then turn the other way until the ping fades. I know then that the airplane is behind me. Not very sophisticated, but it works)

Is the Ruyters still commercially available? If so, where?

Thanks
Rich

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 04:15:51 PM »

Tmat

Is the Ruyters still commercially available? If so, where?

Thanks
Rich

He was still making them as of September 2017. His email is [email protected] if you want to check current availability.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »

What model Radio Shack receiver do you use??
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 10:20:19 PM »

What model Radio Shack receiver do you use??

Pro-46 100 channel

glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 01:09:34 AM »

Jace's original question asked if there was a tracker for under $200.
So we have the Baofeng receiver for £20 or so, and isn't there the Leobodnar transmitter for £50?
So that's less than $200 (despite the mixture of currencies, and the passage of 5 years).

JB

Gliders are a part of me.
pbrown
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 03:49:58 AM »

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=95_113&products_id=217
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 04:35:32 AM »

As I slowly learn about this tracking business, I am wary of cheap receivers, having tried two Maycom devices. I recall a retrieval from some very difficult terrain (for those who know Luffenham, the brickworks). We were a long way from the model when I got s signal on my tatty Standard C156, through trees, deep cutting, industrial area and houses, about half a mile away. The Maycom woke up when I was about 50 yards away with line of sight. This might be ok somewhere like Barkston which is a relatively simple landscape, but not where things are more complicated. Anyway, I have luckily just obtained a Ruyter receiver, so we'll see. I'll do a comparison next time we're out.
Thanks for the comments
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 09:11:43 AM »

Have you turned the noise filter (or squelch) "off" with all your radios? If these are "on" and at different sensitivity, it will make huge differences for the range you will pick up the signal.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »

Tmat

the only tracker I've ever had or used was/is a Pim Ruyters that I bought from FAI Model Supply

Under further thought, I'm not 100% sure what I have is a Pim Ruyters beacon. The one I have looks like a "Chicklet" (About .25 X .25 X .125) and uses a small cylindrical fishing lure battery that plugs directly into the beacon. It also has a long, thin, wire antennae.

Rich

DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »

Tmat

the only tracker I've ever had or used was/is a Pim Ruyters that I bought from FAI Model Supply

Under further thought, I'm not 100% sure what I have is a Pim Ruyters beacon. The one I have looks like a "Chicklet" (About .25 X .25 X .125) and uses a small cylindrical fishing lure battery that plugs directly into the beacon. It also has a long, thin, wire antennae.

Rich

Sounds like a Ruyter. He offers two styles: a rectangular one, the other a cylinder. They both use the fishing lure battery.

Derek
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 10:01:27 PM »

A picture of the two Ruyter beacon types:

https://i.imgur.com/fmGcE9Y.jpg
Tracker help

Derek
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 07:31:50 AM »

Yup, that's what I have... (the rectangular one)... thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: