Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 10:40:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Old Model Meet Photos  (Read 2037 times)
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 12:55:47 PM »

John O'Donnell once told me that he ascribed the vast amount of modelling he was able to do to not watching television.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 01:42:43 PM »

Maybe I'll start turning up to events in a shirt, tie and trilby and see if we 'youngsters' can't reverse the trend in standards! Grin

My defence of today's kids really stems from my son's experience. He used to occasionally join me at flying events and got fed up with (some) older blokes making smart alec remarks about him sitting there looking at his phone. What annoyed him was their assumption that he should be taking more interest in the model flying instead, and that an obsession with computer based technology is by definition unhealthy. Well he and  several of his friends have built their own PCs from parts researched, saved for and purchased online and by talking to each other on their various devices. They save their money and spend it on computers in just the way the more enterprising children did with model kits in the 1950s. Once the computers are built, they play with them, or rebuild them, or tweak them, or make another. They can program in computer languages which are a complete mystery to me and if they can't do something, they research it through youtube, forums, talking to each other and goddness knows what other means. As well as all the computer stuff he learns piano, reads a lot, goes indoor climbing, and is in an athletics club. His friends have all sorts of other interests too.

So yes, it's a bit annoying for them when they hear someone say, "All kids do today is play on their computers or stare at their phones."

Rant over. As you were..... (and I like the old model club photos as much as anyone!)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:36:58 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »

Maybe I'll start turning up to events in a shirt, tie and trilby ...
One wouldn't be seen in public without one's trilby, or panama according to season, but I'm afraid that one draws the line at a tie. Smiley

It should also be pointed out that apart from anything else the hatband is a jolly handy place to hold small odds and ends that would get lost or broken in a pocket.
Ex Member

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 02:59:22 PM »

Andrew, is that Nottingham MAC? I joined about 1965 and at that time it was 100% c/l combat and stunt. I got roped in for mass production of Dominators and traipsed around village fetes where there was always a combat comp. Obviously there was a sea change at some point after 1937. Any idea where that photo was taken?
Yes - excellent trousers. Plenty of room for a winder, winch or sandwiches.
Bill

Yes it’s the Nottingham club, the picture was taken at Tollerton...

Andrew
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »

@Pete - Hear! Hear!  Smiley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates

I wonder if Socrates was a freeflighter Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »

I would say those "Old Blokes" you mention Pete are at least a little naive!  "Playing" with computers?  Well, I often say I "play" with toy aeroplanes.  But  denigrating myself more than  anything. 

I suppose making a receiver - tiny by the standards in those days - using an XFG1 valve was my only claim to technological prowess.  Tottenham Court Road was the source of parts. The science master the mentor.

Well J O'D I watch very little TV but my output falls very short!

You are of course right to defend todays kids Pete as certainly some deserve it - but equally other people have the like right to highlight cases where the situation is different.  Perhaps those of us writing here have unwittingly been a little intolerant.  Too entrenched perhaps?   
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 05:35:49 PM »

Pete and David,

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »

I don't go back as far as some, but this is one from my early days in the Leicester MAC.
Some have said it's not me, but I'm pretty sure it is me on the left. Taken at Abbey Pastures in Leicester, approx 1974?

I probably mark the point at which style was lost?  Roll Eyes
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Old Model Meet Photos
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »

What are you keeping in your trouser leg that necessitates you tucking it into your sock? Ferret?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »

There's enough room! ... I think they were a dreadful 70s take on Oxford Bags?
'On me bike' of course ... I lived about a mile at most from the club's main CL meeting site. It's all fenced off astroturf pitches now ... but we would never have been allowed to fly there in today's world
Buster11
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »

Not a model in sight here, but this is the 1947 Flight Cup contest at Epsom Downs. The infield of the racecourse is maybe 1.2km x 600 metres, but in those days we flew three flight contests with five minute maxes, and probably parachute DTs. Entries were in the mid- hundreds. There were plenty of young competitors, and they had all built the models they flew, probably in their bedrooms, using real razor blades that could cut you, real pins, and real dope (usually sleeping in the same room where the dope was drying). Nobody died. No parents sued the kit manufacturers for not pointing out that you weren't supposed to eat the wood or that razor blades were sharp, and the balsa cement tubes didn't carry labels telling users that they were made of lead (HORRORS!) and that biting the ends of the tube to break the hardened cement off might not be a good plan, but we did and the results of lead acetate ingestion haven't manifested themselves so far 70 years later.

I think one of the valuable things about building, flying and competing with a model aircraft is that it keeps you in touch with reality from an early age, and it gives you the satisfaction of creating something that works. Flying it with other people, some with far more experience, but still dealing with the same laws of physics, builds confidence and develops an interest in exactly the things that STEM is all about.

A couple of weeks ago there was a report that British medical schools were now getting concerned that many surgical students had virtually no manual skills; adept as they might well be at swiping an IPhone or tapping a screen, they had never cut anything with a blade or sewn anything with a needle or actually made anything with their hands, so the very basics of a surgeon's profession were unknown territory to them. There, that's a nice encouraging thought for anyone planning on any surgery in the future....
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2018, 09:44:24 PM »

A couple of weeks ago there was a report that British medical schools were now getting concerned that many surgical students had virtually no manual skills; adept as they might well be at swiping an IPhone or tapping a screen, they had never cut anything with a blade or sewn anything with a needle or actually made anything with their hands, so the very basics of a surgeon's profession were unknown territory to them. There, that's a nice encouraging thought for anyone planning on any surgery in the future....
Scalpels are being replaced with lasers, just like our kits today. Scalpels are a throw back to the days when you went to the barber to get stitched back together.
The last tumor I had removed was with a laser, less trauma to the surrounding tissue, or so I'm told. In my last trauma room visit I was patched together with staples and tape. Not a stitch to be found!

Today most medicine has moved away from slicing and dicing to looking more like a chemistry set. I have a lot more respect for the lab technician than I do any surgeon. They developed the drugs and actually run the tests. Most of us would still die on the table if it wasn't for the anesthesia chemicals.

Actually I'm happy that my surgeon is adept at swiping his cell phone. It is an indication to me that he is up to date on the literature.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2018, 11:34:05 PM »

A couple of weeks ago there was a report that British medical schools were now getting concerned that many surgical students had virtually no manual skills...

So I was recently on an old Intercity train back from London, standing by the doors at the end of the carriage a few minutes from my stop.  One of the windows was open, which was a bit of relief as the main carriage area had been hot and stuffy.  Got chatting to a youngster, about 18, sweet chap, from Worthing on his way to stay with friends in Wiltshire he said.  It was quite noisy and getting gradually colder, and after a while he asked me how to close the window - to his jaw-dropping astonishment I stepped over and pulled it straight up!  Grin

Yesterday on a brand new Intercity train to London for another meeting, terribly crowded as it was missing half its carriages and running slow because it couldn't use the electricity laid on for its benefit and one of its its three diesel engines wasn't working.  A load of us were rammed in the 'lobby-area' between the palatial lavatory and the main carriage.  Every single person who came to use the loo had to ask how to open its curved electric door!  In the meantime the automatic doors to the main carriage kept opening and closing with the rapidity of an automatic rifle as the sensor registered the tiniest movements from any of us sardines.  In the end I whipped out from my wallet a yellow-sticky (on which was written my shopping-list for later) and stuck it over the sensor, while the guy the other side (originally from Tanzania, so we had much in common) then acted as the 'door-activator' (by nodding his head) for any bladder-full person he saw squeezing their way along from my side.

All the while the sour-faced young woman adjacent to me remained anaesthetised by her mobile phone, its external wiring plugged into her amygdala.

After a couple of Tube rides (bless the old-fashioned trains with their worn upholstery!) I emerged from London Bridge station.  The only interesting person amongst all the dangerous pedestrians careering down the pavement blinded by their phone-screens was a lonely hunter-gatherer... scouring the wind-swept concrete for cigarette butts.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2018, 03:21:03 AM »

Scalpels are being replaced with lasers, just like our kits today. Scalpels are a throw back to the days when you went to the barber to get stitched... Actually I'm happy that my surgeon is adept at swiping his cell phone. It is an indication to me that he is up to date on the literature.
The report was quite widely discredited when it came out, because it was based not on any evidence but on a grumpy older surgeon’s belligerent opinion (along the usual lines of ‘it was better in the old days and these kids know nothing’). That said, there is no doubt that, in all fields, old skills are lost and new ones are gained. Whilst ‘helping’ my son put his computer together I didn’t have a clue what any of the bits were, but WAS able to tell him which way to turn the screwdriver to tighten a screw! Unfortunately he’ll remember that now so my useful days are numbered. I was also a bit more dexterous than him when manoeuvring the bits into position. I’m not sure if that’s just due to having had years more practice though. Here’s quite an interesting report that backs up the new boys like Konrad’s surgeon...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46036095
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »

Apologies for my part in derailing the subject of this rather excellent thread.
To make amends, here are a couple of photos from Aeromodeller: Oct '55 and Jan '56 respectively.

(The second pic is from an article with the snappy little title of  'Aeromodelling in Education; fourteen points in favour of the hobby as an aid to education, outlined by J. A. Brown'.)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2018, 08:09:59 AM »

Ah... I remember once building a Dolphin!

Here's a lovely one from #GirlsCanAlsoAeromodel.

I just made that up - but please don't read anything 'cultural' into it!  The Dolphin could even make an ideal home for a 2-chan RC brick saved from some horrid foam ARTF micro-aggression!  Grin
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »

That's pretty in pink!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2018, 08:31:56 AM »

Not a derail, Pete .... I think the time we live in does dictate our skill set, but does not affect our innate ability to acquire that skill set.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »

To make amends, here are a couple of photos from Aeromodeller: Oct '55 and Jan '56 respectively.

Strange, I know, but the first thing I noticed in that first picture (after that huge antennae, of course!) was the guy on the bike in the back (with the drop handle bars). It looks like he is doing a "Track-Stand" very causally, with his hands in his pockets!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2018, 08:52:29 AM »

The Hayes DMAC no less, a bit before my time but still going strong!

Peter
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2018, 09:02:07 AM »

I’m currently sitting in my local Costa reading AM Oct 1957. Came across this pic of the British team at end of the World A/2 Glider Championships in Czechoslovakia. They finished 9th out of 20 nations. Flag held high! I like the caption.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »

That'll be Eddie Cosh behind then? I didn't know Costas kept Aeromodeller to read.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2018, 09:53:45 AM »

Were questions indeed asked in the House?

Perhaps Cafe Nerd  or Pret Anallergy carry old copies of Hansards?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »

I didn't know Costas kept Aeromodeller to read.
Just a few under the counter copies for their best customers. You have to say, “...and I’ll have some ‘dope’ with that please” and give them a knowing wink. Try it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: