Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 11, 2019, 08:09:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Old Model Meet Photos  (Read 2084 times)
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2018, 06:45:26 AM »

I found these some years back and thought they might be (or not) of some small interest. They were taken by my father back inthe late 50s-early 60s, somewhere in the eastern US. Whatever event it was, it seems to have had a good turn-out. I thought maybe someone would recognize the fellow holding the p-51. In any case, enjoy.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Old Model Meet Photos
Old Model Meet Photos
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 07:10:07 AM »

Thanks, and looks just like it did all over the world at that time.
So what went wrong?
mike
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 04:06:19 AM »

I was born in 1950.
Life has changed.
Most of the folks alive in the 1950s had just survived WW2.  They were used to 'make do and mend' and being patient, waiting for their endeavours to bear fruit.  Aircraft had seen a massive period of exciting development and had been a major factor in the conflict.  Money was short - if you wanted one, you made it.
Now, aircraft are noisy, late, crowded ways of rushing around the globe.  A few young people may be attracted to aeroplanes but everybody has a credit card and can get whatever they want at the click of a mouse.  Commerce has realised that and advertises 'the next quick thrill' 24/7.  So people search for instant gratification as their right and 'sitting down to make something' can't really compete.

Just had breakfast - there must have been some extra cynicism in the porridge.

Sorry if this has diverted the aim of the thread...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:21:36 AM by mike » Logged
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »

Good to see photos of the way it was.

As a kid in the 1950s the big local contest (Memphis, Tennessee) was sponsored by one of the local men's clubs, a local sporting goods store, and the morning Newspaper that gave the junior high point winner a free trip to the Nats. The men's club provided timers (all in white shirts, khaki pants, and pith helmets) and boxed lunches.

All that went away in the mid-1960s.

Porridge not needed this morning.

Louis

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »

All that went away in the mid-1960s.
I always enjoy re-reading Barry Haisman's irascible letter in the 1957-8 Zaic Yearbook!
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »

I remember when 1/2-A gas had more than 300 entries at the NATS.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 05:04:13 AM »

I thoroughly enjoy looking at photos of aero modelling activity of long ago.  I look too for a little urchin in short trousers that might be me!

Because it was often a Sunday when these events happened all the men were smartly dressed in jackets and trousers and ties and many wore trilby hats.  

I think the Second World War did enhance the interest in aircraft as Mike says above.  The kits I think were in short supply but solid models were available during the war and I remember sitting with my Cousin who was a few years older and my mentor at the kitchen table hacking way at impregnable balsa with half a razor blade.  The kits were barren - a few vaguely shaped pieces of balsa a short length of wire and a pressed tin prop that had to be twisted for pitch. And a few waterslide  decals.  After the War we were into flying models - Skyleada and Astra were common names. But wood harder than any balsa I have ever used.

Then the events - Northern Heights Gala at Halton -  at Ford in Sussex and all over.  Train and bus was the only means of transport.  But we were happy doing it.  Model shops were plentiful - there were 4 or 5 within ten minutes bike ride where I lived in South London.  Local Parks were for flying model aeroplanes.

To me Mike it is not cynicism - more regret that those days have gone.  Yes I know some will talk about the hardship etc. True there was some - but it was not that bad.  The streets were safe - kids were kids and we had no hang ups. We were disciplined and understood that nothing was for nothing.  People had a sense of pride in more or less everything and entertainment had to be made as often as not. There was radio of course but there were otherwise no buttons to press to keep one amused.

I welcome progress of course but I think somehow we have in a number of cases mishandled it.  I am very glad I lived through the period I did.  

At the age of about eleven I joined my first model club.  In 1950.  Ahh, said some of the men - good to see young faces - if we don't get more youngsters participating aeromodelling will be dead in ten years!  

Bill -  could you post Barry Halsmans letter please - can't recall it.    
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 05:50:50 AM »

Bill -  could you post Barry Halsmans letter please - can't recall it.    
Sorry David, I've scanned it but it's come out at 6 squillibytes
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 05:56:38 AM »

The mention of trilby hats by DavidJP reminded me that I was given an old model club photo along with a 1940/50 built Bowden Mouse.  I don't know any of the people but wondered if one of them was Barry Haisman (also previously mentioned).  I met Ivan Cameron who designed the Cameron 1941 Flight Cup Winner who told me a sad story from his club days.  Perhaps he also appears on this picture.  I like the kids and the formal attire required to fly models in the UK Winter - or it could be Summer.  

The original photos in this thread remind me of a similar photo story in a 1940's Aeromodeller about American model meets of that time.  Looks wonderful.
Re: Old Model Meet Photos
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 09:10:10 AM »

Thank you Bill.  That sounds interesting - so whee do you get those?  All I get are boring Mbs and GBs!  And I don’ t know what to do with them either.  Of course some of Pylonius’ stuff is prophetic on occasions - in 1066 Clarion.

That was a pretty typical line up Ralph.  Note the short trousers.  Whenever I see those I think of the winter of ‘47 and trudging the mile or so to school and my blue knees.  No wellies then! Or ch.  Do you know the club?  The chap at the back far right looks familiar. 
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 09:40:30 AM »

I always enjoy re-reading Barry Haisman's irascible letter in the 1957-8 Zaic Yearbook!

That had running me to the bookshelf and take out the yearbook. I admit I know by memory nearly all of the drawings in the book but had never read the aforementioned letter.

An' eye opener! If only I had read it 50 years ago  Sad Sad Sad  Grin

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »

Do you know the club?  The chap at the back far right looks familiar. 

The club was Liverpool MAC.  I had wondered if it was Barry H.
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »

After a lot of hard work,  Wink , here the copy of Barry Haisman's original letter to Frank Zaic. Included also the 4 drawings for beginners models, if anybody feels like teaching to youngsters after the read  Wink

Urs

Edit: I had to substitute the first pages, so the sequence is upset, just follow the page numbers  Angry
Re-edit: now it is as it should be
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:27:52 PM by USch » Logged

Fast up-Slow down
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »

I've often wondered:

1) How many AMA Delta Darts have been built/flown since they were first introduced?

2) How many people, after building one, stuck with the hobby?

3) With all the "Ballyhoo" (to quote Mr. Halsman) regarding S.O., I wonder how many of these kids continued with model airplanes as a hobby?

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 06:41:21 PM »

I don't think many have time for "hobbies" these days.  Young Eagle flights provided by EAA members, however, are very successful in helping young people find a career path.

Gosh, I think Barry and I could enjoy quite the conversation over several beers!

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 03:21:47 AM »

I don't think many have time for "hobbies" these days.

I really do wonder at that!  Having lived through then and now!  I think there is far more leisure time now than years ago.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 03:33:47 AM »

If its got a screen it will divert your attention, and suck your imagination and your dough elsewhere  Sad

I did indeed have cynicism on toast for breakfast, but I've just added powdered pragmatism to my coffee Smiley

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 03:40:50 AM »

I don't think many have time for "hobbies" these days.

I really do wonder at that!  Having lived through then and now!  I think there is far more leisure time now than years ago.

Yes.  If you really want to do something, then you'll find the "time" for it.

Met a bloke once on holiday on the Norfolk Broads, a shore-based Chief Petty Officer in the RN also on holiday with his lads.  He'd built an Iain Oughtred 16ft clinker ply dinghy based on a traditional Shetland working boat.  Asked him how long it had taken, he replied:  'Six months of not watching Coronation Street!'
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 04:16:06 AM »

But a P.O. would have become disciplined.  TV surely takes second place to stroking tablets and phones which is also killing the art of communication.  We have to face it - most of today’s younger generation are not interested in diy hobbies and entertainment.  They may be masters with technology but it is a narrow field. Some cannot read an anologue clock it seems. But that is fine - does not affect me and they are happy.
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 04:56:22 AM »

Starduster..
1) A very big number
2) A very small number
3) Another very small number
Ron
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 07:51:12 AM »

Ah, it’s turning into the old “older people using devices with screens to communicate their disapproval of younger people  spending their free time on devices with screens” thing again.
Don’tcha just love it!  Grin
Ex Member

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 08:40:16 AM »

Ah, it’s turning into the old “older people using devices with screens to communicate their disapproval of younger people  spending their free time on devices with screens” thing again.
Don’tcha just love it!  Grin

I am afraid we are, but I'm resisting the temptation to hit back on behalf of us lazy, computer and screen obsessed young 'uns.  Cheesy

A picture of the first Meeting of the NMAC in 1937...  Gotta love those pre-war trousers!

Andrew
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »

No Pete I am not disapproving - I said it does not affect me and they are happy so it is fine.  And I urged acceptance of the situation.  And I have not been reading the Daily Mail either.  And when you think of it if a quarter of those youngsters who like stroking smart phones and tablets etc. were to fly model aeroplanes every flying site would be terribly overcrowded.  And what about the devastation of the Balsa forests if a lot of them graduated to building model aeroplanes?  I think I have always tried to be fair and not condemn people for what they choose to do, provided it is legal, or even what they may think or say because generally we try very hard to have unselective equality.   Wink Cool Cheesy
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 08:54:30 AM »

Andrew, is that Nottingham MAC? I joined about 1965 and at that time it was 100% c/l combat and stunt. I got roped in for mass production of Dominators and traipsed around village fetes where there was always a combat comp. Obviously there was a sea change at some point after 1937. Any idea where that photo was taken?
Yes - excellent trousers. Plenty of room for a winder, winch or sandwiches.
Bill
planesjimmycam
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »

Hi Everyone,
 I found this photo doing some research , it shows models being flown at Philadelphia Airport opening day in 1938. I am sure they put a few flights in to show the spectators!
  Jim
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: