Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2019, 11:21:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Old Model Meet Photos  (Read 2206 times)
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »

That's too funny Pete.........
Jackets and ties? - a pic from the early 60's at Chobham common, the stretch behind the people and the bushes is now the M3
The 2nd shot was taken by Buster11, and that's me about to tread on the A2 wing. At Chobham, too, circa 1959 or 60.

JB
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Old Model Meet Photos

Gliders are a part of me.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2018, 12:26:22 PM »

Is that Mike Gaster with your dad John?
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2018, 01:14:08 PM »

How comes.... Glidermaster's reply and picture vanished from the topic  Huh

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2018, 01:39:33 PM »

I must air these two incidences - and look forward to comment...

First in a large shopping mall I had made a small purchase in a large branch of Smiths and paid cash.  Having opened the till it then collapsed and would not show my change - but bless her the assistant coped and used her fingers to calculate the amount.  The second...... a young lad revealed that he could not tell the time by an analogue clock.  But declared it did not matter because his phone had the numbers which changed.  I am sure I did not imagine either.

Sadly Pete I have discovered that the BBC News is most unreliable - by personally witnessing some events and then sometime later seeing the report on the BBC.

That you help your son with his computer matters is a very significant reason why he does what he does - responding to being encouraged and stimulated and so is beyond the mundane business of simply stroking his iPhone and tablet and playing games on his computer.

Of course I have to side with Buster somewhat because we are of a like generation so that makes us grumpy and intolerant of younger people and progress.  Make allowances please.

Returning to topic - any more photos please?
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2018, 02:05:12 PM »

It was Mike Gaster Bill, and Urs is right, where did my post go??

Gliders are a part of me.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2018, 02:26:25 PM »

I may have posted this before.  If so, I apologize.

The photo here shows competitors in a flying scale contest held in conjunction with the 1932 National Air Races (USA) at Cleveland, Ohio Municipal Airport.  The young man in white holding his Fokker D.VIII model is an 18 year old Chet Lanzo who would go on to do great things in the model world.

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »

I don't know anything about the date or location of these photos.  Probably late '40s.  I saved them because it shows my favorite gas model, the So-Long.  The trophy hardware seems very elaborate, even for those days.

Mark
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »

Here are two - 1936 Wakefield (in America).  The sartorially elegant fellow on the right and left respectively is justin aleman - the 1934 winner.  Am going to dump my striped  striped Henley Regatta blazer I think and find out who his tailor is.  The young lad is Alwyn Greenhalgh (Later Commander).   Bert Judge holding his winning model.
riversidedan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2018, 03:39:38 AM »

I was born in 1950.
Life has changed.
Most of the folks alive in the 1950s had just survived WW2.  They were used to 'make do and mend' and being patient, waiting for their endeavours to bear fruit.  Aircraft had seen a massive period of exciting development and had been a major factor in the conflict.  Money was short - if you wanted one, you made it.
Now, aircraft are noisy, late, crowded ways of rushing around the globe.  A few young people may be attracted to aeroplanes but everybody has a credit card and can get whatever they want at the click of a mouse.  Commerce has realised that and advertises 'the next quick thrill' 24/7.  So people search for instant gratification as their right and 'sitting down to make something' can't really compete.

Just had breakfast - there must have been some extra cynicism in the porridge.

Sorry if this has diverted the aim of the thread...

I agree, its a "I want it now world...…..how pityful is that

CAUTION!! politicians may be harmful to your health
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: