Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2022, 07:57:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My first F1N  (Read 973 times)
Mefot
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2019, 03:45:48 PM »

Encouraged by Piecost's taper winged model and Maxout's use of Graupner Vector Board on his latest kit I thought I would try my own version of an F1N. Apart from Vector Board for the flaps the model is of conventional construction. Fuselage is a carbon pole section that weighs 2.3 grams and the finished model weighs 9.52 grams with nose weight. I used CA (which has run everywhere) for construction and despite my best efforts it looks rougher than a rough thing !!! Fortunately the photo is a bit blurry and hides most of the faults !!! The good thing is it only took 3 hours to build, so I can do a better job with the next one. Test glides across the living room look promising. Hoping for a calm day so I can trim it. I might then take it to Bushfield at the end of the month  Smiley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
My first F1N
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:29:50 PM by Mefot » Logged
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 72

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »

If you use Duco for all of the joints except the flaps you will be able to disassemble the model whenever needed for repairs or mods. I use UV glue for the flaps which works well. There may be other choices for that. Duco will save some weight over CA.
Mefot
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 04:21:05 PM »

Thanks for the advice Bill. I normally use Duco for my builds and hardly ever use CA because of the fumes and the weight but just went for speed on what was only intended to be a lash-up. I have no experience of using UV glue and will investigate it's use on my next glider  Smiley
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »

I am delighted that i have encouraged you to have a go.

Does your model have flexible flaps? I will be very intetrest ed to hear how they perform. Please let us know how you get on. Three of us building indoor chuckies qualifies as a resurgance in UK F1N!
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 05:05:02 PM »

Thanks for the advice Bill. I normally use Duco for my builds and hardly ever use CA because of the fumes and the weight but just went for speed on what was only intended to be a lash-up. I have no experience of using UV glue and will investigate it's use on my next glider  Smiley

There's really not a lot of time difference using Duco vs. CA. And the first disaster will nullify whatever time you might have saved.

UV glue only works where it can be exposed to UV light. So you can't use it for gluing two opaque pieces together. But for flaps you can get enough light to the joint to make it cure. A very thin coating will make a  joint that you can't pull apart without tearing the material. And it doesn't cure until you want it to.
Mefot
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »

Three of us building indoor chuckies qualifies as a resurgance in UK F1N!

I think three of us flying indoor chuckies would qualify as a resurgence !

Delighted you are delighted Piecost !!!   Grin

It does indeed have flexible flaps. Whether they flex in a suitable manner remains to be seen !!!  Cheesy
Mefot
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »

I use UV glue

Can you recommend a brand of UV glue Bill ? After a quick search there seem to be hundreds out there and I'm pretty sure a few of them will be better than the rest  Smiley
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:25:58 PM »

The one I started with was Bondic which was around $20 for a kit. Then I found some at Home Depot for $5. I don't have the brand for that. Both seemed to work okay.
Mefot
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:41:12 AM »

Thanks for that Bill. I'll check some of the cheap stuff out first  Smiley
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 101

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 10:26:28 AM »

Looks good. I'm seeing a resurgence of indoor hand launch here in the US and hope this will help with the push to recognize F1N for world championship status. It is after all the most popular FAI free flight class.

Vector Board is a game changer. You'll never set a record with it in F1N, but it's a gateway drug that makes entry into the discipline much easier. For F1N-150, it could potentially become the dominant flap material. Jury's still out on Std Cat Glider. It at least makes for good cat gliders.
Mefot
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »

Vector Board is a game changer. You'll never set a record with it in F1N

Now there's a challenge if ever I read one  Cheesy

Actually, having never trimmed a flapped glider before, I will be happy just to get it transitioning and flying OK.

You never stop learning in this hobby  Grin
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:22:08 AM »

I'm curious about why there is a performance hit with vector board?
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 12:53:25 PM »

Bill,

My guess is from the specs on the website it appears to have a relative density of 6.1 lbs/cubic foot.

300mm x 1000mm x .2mm and 6 grams a sheet

Don
Mefot
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 02:06:14 PM »

Bill,

My guess is from the specs on the website it appears to have a relative density of 6.1 lbs/cubic foot.

300mm x 1000mm x .2mm and 6 grams a sheet

Don

I've weighed several samples Don and it works out to between 2.8 and 3 lbs/cubic foot.
The slicing isn't very accurate though as it can be at least .25mm over thickness (I haven't found any undersize yet ). It can be sanded with patience but ( and I haven't tried it yet ) hot wire cutting a thicker sheet down might work better.  Smiley
Peter Hess
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »

I have found a number of sites that seem to sell Vectorboard.  What do you folks consider the best source?  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Peter Hess
Canton, CT

Peter Hess
Canton, CT

"I never dreamed that, with my two hands, I could reach the sky."
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 101

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 10:57:58 AM »

I'm curious about why there is a performance hit with vector board?

Sanding it is a near impossibility. From a structures standpoint, that simply cannot compete with a correctly tapered cross section. Mind you I'm saying this as someone who actually sells flapped gliders using this material, and I fly these same designs and love them. Doesn't change the fact that I can't see any conceivable way I could compete against a Yashinskiy glider with my Cat's Meow design.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: