Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 15, 2019, 01:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BLUEBIRD Ornithopter by birdkit.com 16 inch wingspan 1/4 ounce  (Read 1843 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 08:57:14 PM »

BLUEBIRD Ornithopter 16" wingspan,  one quarter ounce   Birdkit.com

Thanks vtdiy  Smiley
     At 3:00 PM there was not a cloud in the sky (finally), solid sun, Temp was  48 deg F (feels like 43), the wind was blowing 11 mph from the South West , gusting to 16 mph , humidity  53%.   I grabbed the dog and the 16" Bluebird ornithopter, and we headed out to our little flying field - the Cricket Wicket grounds in Jackson Park, Windsor, Ontario.  I took some nice outdoor pics on the walk out. 
     I started out with two flights of thirty winds straight down wind.  They worked really good, about three sort of medium tight circles, about 7 seconds.  Then I wound the motor in the other direction, and it still flew just fine - maybe a little better - so I stuck with this and made about 15 flights, making circles as it blows downwind.   

pics 1 to 6  of  12 pics        best pic is #5                 (cont on next Reply)

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: BLUEBIRD Ornithopter by birdkit.com 16 inch wingspan 1/4 ounce

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 09:03:41 PM »

(cont from last Reply)

I did mostly 50 winds, but I did try a 60 and a 70 wind flight.  The farthest distance it flew was 45 yards and the longest time was about 16 seconds.  Every landing was super soft, as it just glides so perfectly, like a pigeon with its wings held up in a  "V"  shape, and always seems to have turned into the wind for the landing.   The crank wire can really auger into the base of the grass stems on landing, if there is the slightest number of turns left on the motor - I mean stuck - you can't just pull it out!
     Actually launching this bird was pretty hairy !!    Initial power burst sends it up in fast medium tight circles right over your head,  after which they widen out, circling and drifting with the wind downwind.   Nathan Chronister pretty much guaranteed that they fly, and he was right.
      After those 15 flights and 19  pics later, I decided not to get too greedy and wreck it the first day.   It was nice to see it flapping and gliding around.   This is a really good starter kit.

pics 7 to 12  of 12 pics             best pic is pic #9 (third one)

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 12:10:01 AM »

Sounds like you had a lot of fun Richard. I think I would be thinking about a stooge to wind your motor off the model. All you need basically are 2 hooks on a base , spaced around the length of your motor stick. You will need small O rings or similar on the rubber motor and when the motor is fully wound you transfer the rubber from the winder to the rear hook on the model while holding it stationary at the front. Then remove the front of the motor from the hook on the base and carefully place it on the front hook. Just take your time and it will work ok. This is basically how I wound my EZE B many years ago. The hook on the base was the front of a torque meter.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 01:02:16 PM »

Hi John.  After winding, as soon as you let go of that front crank wire, immediately,  the wings beat and the strut assembly wobbles wildly, causing the wings to beat down on your fingers that are holding the strut assembly ...  it is best just to let it all go at once, I think ...

BLUEBIRD Ornithopter 16" wingspan,  one quarter ounce   Birdkit.com

Well, we went flying again today at 11:45 AM -  Temp was 39 deg F (feels like 39),  81 % humidity, and  the web said 7 mph gusting to 11 mph,  but it turned out to be more than that, and the Detroit radio station said it was getting "breezy" ...
      I got in about 10 flights.   The rubber was weak, and I did not get too much figured out with a Gurney Strip I glued on, as it was getting more windy.   BUT,  I did get a few more good pics - the BLUEBIRD Ornithopter is now safe at home ...

six pics  1243  1247  1248  1250  1251  1253

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

rdw777
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2019, 06:51:30 AM »

Good job Richard! Looks great in the air! Keep working with it for longer flights, Thanks for sharing,

Robert
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 11:38:15 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT            MONDAY APRIL 8 2019

It has been a long time since this ornithopter flew on Jan 5 2019.  I had just again flown it last night for several flights, but it was circling to the left too tight, and staying too close to me  - only 6 sec max flights - alas, I had no clay weight with  me.  Tongue
     Today 72 deg F and little wind, so we went back in the heat of the afternoon past the Spit and Hurri to the Cricket Field of Jackson Park, with some clay to try to trim out the flight of the circle wider - it flew fine on Jan 5,  but not now ...  I tried many different places for little bits of clay, at the wing tips and tail tips, of various combinations, to no real success at all.   Sad   LOL   Here are some different views of it in the air.

Pic #1     1887
Pic #2     1888
Pic #3     1891
Pic #4     1894
Pic #5     1897

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont.

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 11:43:36 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT      MONDAY APRIL 8 2019
 cont. from previous Reply  

It is still flying circles too tight for some reason, and not drifting downwind for long oval circles, and I only got a couple of 10 sec flights on 30 to 50 winds.   More thinking - maybe a  3/32" rubber motor to slow down the flapping - it actually was really flapping faster on one of the flights only, with the flapping so rapid,  it was almost twice the frequency it seemed  ??   mind boggling ...   Huh Huh  -    I will tie a couple of motors up for next time.   Anyways,  here are some nice pics on the first hot day this season.   The close circles were good for close pics, though.   Grin

Pic #6     1898
Pic #7     1900
Pic #8     1902
Pic #9     1904
Pic #10     1905   BEST PIC

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 09:41:01 PM »

The tail has not developed some "Tail tilt" by any chance? The tail would have a strong effect.
John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 12:16:56 AM »

Hi John.  I have now looked at it from every angle, and every position of those flapping wings, and I cannot readily see any warps. 
       I do however, have a theory.  Huh   As it accelerates and climbs on launch and starts to bank left, it seems to be approaching an angle of attack too steep, as demonstrated by a lower speed, stall warning, as it enters the turn with a more pronounced upward angle of attack.  All because I installed a larger, newer, more fuel efficient motor (a copy of a competitor),  Tongue   mounted a little more forward and a little higher, because it did not quite end up fitting this model.   This really affected the CofG .    Sad    Unbeknownst to me, my MCAS kicked in (I never knew I had MCAS),  Huh Undecided    and directed my stab trim tab (I never knew I had one of these either), for a down attitude angle of attack to compensate for the up attitude of the new motor.   I did not know this either -  an r/c guy was flying next door on the same frequency of my MCAS, and his transmissions interfered - purposely or not - with my MCAS, and kept causing the ornithopter to keep nosing down in these fast descending tight spirals, into the ground ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »

Sorry, ...  I forgot to say what the acronym MCAS stands for -  Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System.   
https://phys.org/news/2019-03-ethiopian-airlines-mcas-boeing-max.html

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 09:10:39 PM »

Cheesy That sounds perfectly viable Richard. The  trim tab is hidden and it moves around on the tail as the covering distorts

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 02:29:34 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT       Tues July 9 2019

Well, we have been in a heat wave   Cool  for the last two weeks.   The highs have been in the mid  80s deg F, with real feels around 100 deg F.
      The weather was at  7:05 PM (when we got home) ,   81 deg F ( feels like 88 deg F ),  winds blowing at 7 mph from the NE, gusting to  11 mph,  and 48% humidity.
       We grabbed the 16" Bluebird Ornithopter off of the shelf,  grabbed the pack and water and a bowl for the dog, and we headed out anyway, into the sun and heat to the Cricket Field, for some hand wind flights.   It was really circling to the left too tightly, and I never got it to fly properly.  Naturally, I forgot to bring the clay weight along, but we tried fooling around flying anyways.

Pic #1     2414
Pic #2     2415
Pic #3     2417
Pic #4     2418
Pic #5     2419
Pic #6     2420

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2019, 02:35:56 PM »

cont from prev reply

We got out there around 5:30 PM and headed for the first lengthening shadow from one of the big "Rearwin eating" Spruce trees, and there we hunkered down.  The Cricket guys were magically NOT ON the Cricket field proper - they were practicing  hitting and pitching in the batting cage at the side - and there were no Auxiliary Police on patrol.   Grin
       What I am lacking in good flights, I have tried to make up for with good pics ... Smiley

Pic #1     2424
Pic #2     2428
Pic #3     2429
Pic #4     2430
Pic #5     2433
Pic #6     2440

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 02:42:09 PM »

cont from prev reply

We made a lot of flights with winds on that little four strand 1/8" motor,  that is 4" long.      It can only take about 70 finger winds max.   When I tried it, it flew in vicious tightening circles flying left, and I could find no warps.   So, I just experimented with different numbers of winds - 30 to 70 winds,  different launch directions to the wind, and different launch angles, including straight up.   And most of all, I have perfected a "throwing" left hand (one hand) launch, all wound up,  whilst holding the digital camera in my right hand.     I took a lot of tries to get some good pics because it was always spinning into the ground so fast, and flying into me on launch also, a few times.   I settled on about 30 - 40  turns, and the longest flight I got was 8 seconds, by throwing it straight up !!

Pic #1     2441
Pic #2     2442
Pic #3     2446
Pic #4     2447
Pic #5     2449
Pic #6     Three fledgling Cooper's Hawks showing on the nest,  a mere a stone's throw from the Cricket field (there are four young ones).

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

End of Flight Report Tues July 9 2019

TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 02:56:17 PM »

How did I miss your earlier flight reports?  I'd been keeping an eye out for them. 

Have no wise words of my own to offer, but here are some trimming suggestions culled from the Freebird build notes:

- Sharp turn into crash.  Weight on wingtip on the outside of the turn.  Alternatively try winding the opposite way. (Anti-clockwise I suppose.)

- Nose dive.  Bend tail up slightly.

- Stall.  Slows to stop and losing height.  Reduce tail angle slightly.

Build notes also note that errors in con-rod length and or hole spacing can cause nose dive or stall so it may be worth getting the vernier calipers on them to check they're OK. IIRC the Bluebird is a laser cut kit so I'd expect them to be OK, but mistakes do happen.

Nice pics and how the blazes do you stop the hound from chasing your models? Smiley

Bon chance.
Lurk.
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2019, 03:26:20 PM »

Nice pics Richard and good hear that your Bluebird managed some air time.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2019, 08:32:20 PM »

Lurk - Richard's dog Trapper is a educated aviation enthusiast and just enjoys watching his master! Smiley Nice pics Richard - have you tried winding in the other direction?

John

TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »

A thought.  Richard, have you tried flying it an absolute flat calm?  Might be easier to work out a good trim that way.  

We've only flown Mrs L's Freebird in dead flat calm close to sunset and it behaved itself.  Even so from the way it flew I don't think I'd want to try flying it in anything more than "barely there" breezes. And checking back to last Nov.  Pit (of this parish) reports good results flying outside, but again only in near flat calm conditions.  See here.

As for motor length and max turns. The Freebird has a 4 strand motor of 1/8" and and is also about 4" long.  The build notes say 110 max sans lube or 220 with.  The later flights of Mrs L's machine were all about 80 turns and we were getting somewhere over 13s.

The upper limit for a greased motor agrees with the limit of 240 that I get using 80% of max TPI according to Ross so assuming the motor stick can take it yours should also be good for at least 100 ungreased.

Cheers,
Lurk
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »

Enjoyed reading about your exploits, Richard.
I must build an ornithopter one day ... though I do remember having a commercial ready built "bird" many years ago.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT       Wed Evening July 10 2019

Hi everyone - thanks for all the tips.   I even re-read my thread and saw more tips I forgot about.   Well, I forgot to try winding it backwards.   I will try it next time.   I took some of the advise.
Quote from Urs "For trimming twist the tail feathers bones.
     Both the same amount for up/down correction. One up, other down for circling. The same as a normal model with V-tail. Also shifting the CG helps in some cases"
Quote from Lurker "Nose dive.  Bend tail up slightly."
      Everything was already double white glued.  In order for me to "bend the tail", I tried steaming it over boiling water in a pan.  I tried to bend the tail spars,  but it did not seem to work.   Then I tried to bend the tail, left spar upwards and right tail spar down wards, to try to counter the left hand turn.   I steamed up the joint of the Tail Assembly to the fuse body stick attachment, and I just tried to bend it at this joint with my finger tips a little, and hold it there while it dried.   It was perfectly straight before, but the plane flew left and down quite hard.   Now, the bends of the tail spars did not seem to have worked when I put a flat edge on them (probably  because the tissue was already glued fast to the spars).  And I could not notice if I got the tailplane twisted a bit to the right, to counter the left turn or not, but when I held it up to the horizontal and vertical porch railings on my balcony,  it did show that the tail was now twisted over a bit -  see pic #1  2454     .   Then I stuck on two pieces of small 0.4 grams clay  each, to the end of the right wing spar, and to the end of the right tail spar.   I made up a fresh motor and off we went for some trimming flights, just using short  20 to 30 winds.   I could always pull off some of the clay if the turn was too tight to the right.   Total weight including clay and motor is  7.28 grams.

Pic #1     2454     The right tail spreader is lower, and the left tail spreader is higher, to offset the hard left turn.
Pic #2     2455     New motor, tail tilt/twist is in now, and clay weight is added to the right wing tip and the right tail spreader tip.
Pic #3     2456       Outside pic of the clay pieces - they just stick there when you press them in/on.
Pic #4     2457     Here it is now doing Right Hand circles !!!

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT       Wed Evening July 10 2019
cont from last reply

At 6:30 PM it was blazing hot out and sunny on Thurs July 10, 2019.   Weather was  90 deg F (feels like 106 deg F),  winds blowing from the South at 12 mph,  gusting to 19 mph,  52% humidity.    We went out anyway, to the shade of the big trees surrounding the Spit and Hurri replicas on pedestals on the grassy knoll.   We did a lot of flights of small winds and clay weight adjustments, the trees did not block all of the wind, but they were far enough apart to do some short testing.
     Lo and Behold !!     It was NOW CIRCLING TO THE RIGHT  in very tight circles, but not diving, and now holding level flight.   I thought right then and there, that I could trim this Ornithopter -  just by taking off little bits of clay weight.  After a lot of fiddling around with removing the lead weight in little bits,  and trying each little flight, I finally got it doing wider circles, but still to the right, with nice and very slow flapping flying at the ends of the flights, almost hovering in the air, like a duration model. Shocked
      Then on the next flight, it took off fine for a few feet, and then it folded up and dropped to the grass.  I thought what the heck was this?   Huh Huh  Then when I looked at it on the ground - see Pic #4  2464   -  I saw that the tail did not break off from the body stick -  rather it slipped off from where it was glued, and nothing was broken ( the 'fiddly bits' in this kit were laser cut  light plywood ), and it would all fit back together, for that tight laser cut fit -  I just have to re-glue it.
      And why did the white glue holding the tail attachment to the fuse body stick, why did it come apart?  Because when I steamed the tail, it loosened up all the glue, and I did not let it dry completely, and when I went outside in the heat and humidity, the pull from the wound rubber motor, finally pulled the tailplane off, but with no damage.  Here are some pics.   I will glue it up and try again now.   Moral of the story - "Let the white glue dry completely".

Pic #5     2460     The pic sure looks "muggy" -  just like the temperature.
Pic #6     2461     Another "muggy" flight pic in the shade.   
Pic #7     2462     Flapping upwads climb.
Pic #8     2464     It folded in flight, just after release, and stopped, and fell to the ground.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT       Wed Evening July 10 2019
cont from last reply

Hey Lurk and John -  Trapper is a bird dog.   He won't even go after rabbits or squirrels - but ducks and pheasants ...   yes.    I put a lot of training into him, to fetch any stick, toy, or ball, or lure on command  and deliver them, sitting,  to my hand, and releasing on command, after shaking both paws.   But it really does take an inordinate amount  of time and effort to train them up.    How do I get him to lie down and stay?    Flat hand palm moving down and "lie down",   and, palm vertical (as in 'stop City Transit Bus') and "stay", and he obeys by word, or sign, or both.

Pic #9     2471 snip     Easy fix.  Just have to glue in a solid joint, and let it dry fully ....
Pic #10     2465     The Cooper's Hawks plucking and feeding tree.
Pic #11     2467     Lots of good bare limbs for final approaches and landings with a lunch in fist.
Pic #12     COOPERS HAWK  2  ADULT
Pic #13     JUST FLEDGED HATCHING YEAR COOPERS HAWK

And the mother Coppers Hawk showed up right beside us at the "plucking/feeding" tree with the big bare limbs, showed up with two of the fledged youngsters (they have been flying around for a week now), who were flapping around from tree to tree, and crying to be fed,  with soft plaintive descending whistles "swee-yewww", over and over, as Mom sent the feathers rapidly flying while plucking a small bird she caught for dinner, and everyone who was walking through was taking pictures, because this is right on the side of the paved trail!  For you birdwatchers out there ...  ultra birding for Coops.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
End of Flight Report Wed Evening July 10 2019

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2019, 08:50:32 PM »

I knew trapper was an educated dog Smiley You may get some good flights now that your Bluebird flapper is responding to trim.

Happy flying.

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2019, 02:53:58 AM »

That sounds like good news.  In the end.

As for altering the tail position.  It's a good deal easier to alter trim on the Freebird as the tail is wire mounted so "elevator"/"aileron" trim can be achieved by bending or twisting the tail wire as needed.  I didn't realise that the Bluebird's tail spars are glued directly to the motor stick; my apologies for the hassle.

Quote from: LASTWOODSMAN
Trapper is a bird dog... I put a lot of training into him, to fetch any stick, toy, or ball, or lure ...

You've got a job lined up for you here then.  The local dogs keep me fit; racing to beat them to a downed model.  Smiley
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2019, 05:05:48 AM »

Thanks John.   I will get it trimmed up.   We have a big heat wave here for another week ...
Hi Lurker.  I thought we had the same kit too.   I am not familiar with the Freebird ornithopter with the "wire mounted" tail.   I would like to see what that looks like.    Do you have a link to a build thread?   Or maybe a couple of pics to show how that works?   It sounds much better for adjustment than mine.
      Racing local dogs to get to your downed model first?   LOL   That's a good one ...   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: