Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 26, 2021, 12:21:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: P-30 WINDING TUBE  (Read 652 times)
Thurman
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »

There is an earlier thread here about how to make a p-30 half-tube for winding outside the model. Good information! Now I am charged up to build a system including a couple new stooges and the Piserchio claw hooks. I notice you can buy them for Wakefield (aka F1B) and Coupe D'Hiver (F1G). What I cannot find is what these Hooks weigh.

Weight is always a challenge for a durable, warp-free P-30 design. The hooks for a (say, 12 strand .125) Coupe would have to be designed for at least three times the torque/tension of a ( 4 strand .125) motor which I mostly use. My amateur materials and methods cannot match the strength to weight levels achieved by the professional shops that make them. But I would like to know where the bar is set for a professional Coupe Piserchio Claw (even though it is overkill for my requirements).

Since the consensus seems to be that professionally made P-30 Claws are not available, I would still appreciate the weights of store boughts and weights achieved by other home-made Claws. I have been working almost full time for a week using my El Cheapo Chinese mill, lathe, hobby shop aluminum and Hardware Store aluminum hardware. Several dozen failures. Nothing good enough to weigh so far..but I am guessing over a gram. Heck, my transmitter weighs little more. But no, I did not build it.

Thanks, Thrman
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:53:18 PM »

Here are the coupe bobbins and half tube bayonet I use along with a P30 bobbin.

The coupe bayonet fitting= 0.62gm
Coupe bobbin= 1.05gm
Wire Bobbin= 0.48

I should weigh a small crocket hook and gizmo geezer bobbin for comparison.  I'll post that later tonight.

https://i.imgur.com/Dbq0882.jpg

P-30 WINDING TUBE

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Thurman
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »

Thanks Derek,

Good looking parts!  Did you make the P-30 bayonet piece?  A weight of 0.62 grams is very respectful.  The one I cobbled together was 0.70 grams, but I am still working on a final design. I am in the wire hook phase at the moment.  Not looking very promising ...or elegant. 

I suppose a true comparison would also include whatever the bayonet hook, hooks to....

In any case, a small piece of alum. tubing for the rear peg and small O-ring for the front hook, which many of us used back in the day, weighed almost nothing.  I will weigh a set for comparison.

Of course the need for this stuff can, and has been!, debated endlessly.  For me, it is just the fun of trying to make the winding/flying process easier, safer, and simpler.  With fewer things to forget and screw up.  And what is more fun than playing with a new little thingamajig without changing the course of history.  All this started when designing a new P-30.  The hook/tube thing stopped that work cold.

Thurman
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: