Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2019, 05:30:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Standard J-1  (Read 1273 times)
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Kudos: 126

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2018, 04:06:17 AM »

Ever since watching movies like 'The Spirit of St Louis' and 'The Great Waldo Pepper' as a kid, I've always wanted to build a model of the Standard J-1 (which I used to think was a Jenny). There were a number of Hollywood films made during the 1950's to 1970's that used the 2 Standard biplanes owned by Paul Mantz and Frank Tallman, (known as Tallmantz Aviation), others included 'Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' and 'Thoroughly Modern Millie'. I've made a start on building one of the colourful barnstormers used in 'The Spirit of St Louis'. These Standards use the more powerful Hispano Suiza 8 engine, and so far I've made the 'Hisso' up from balsa. I'm pleased with how its come out. The model will be electric powered, and to 1/16th scale, which puts it about 32" wingspan.

Here is a great movie clip showing the 2 Standards doing their stuff!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMm__jKgahU

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Standard J-1
Standard J-1
Standard J-1
Standard J-1

Richard Crossley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 04:39:07 AM »

That engine looks a bit special .... look forward to seeing the rest  Smiley
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 05:02:22 AM »

That's a coincidence - yesterday we were looking at magic wands in Waterstone's for a Christmas gift. Which wand do you use Richard?
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 06:54:13 AM »

That Engine is a beauty Smiley

I own "The Great Waldo Pepper",but I've never seen "The Spirit of St Louis".After seeing
your movie stills,I'll track down a DVD copy.I'll be following your build.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   Royal Canadian Navy
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:44:03 AM »

Lovely choice of subject, Richard. Will you fly it indoors? 32” is a nice size.
I like Waldo Pepper, although I found it a bit nerve-wracking as a child. Loved Spirit of St Louis too. I think Jimmie Stewart maybe had a bit more natural charm than the enigmatic Charles Lindbergh.

(I was nearly ready to post some more pics of my own dummy engine. Might just leave a respectful gap now. Could someone show us something really tatty please?)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »

I can't find my camera Pete
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »

Re:  Spirit of St Louis movie.  Jimmy Stewart lobbied hard for that role.  Felt he was born to play Lindberg, and yes, he had more charm under his little fingernail than Lindberg.  No disrespect to Lindberg, just different personalities.  Lindberg was born to BE a pilot for the ages.

Stewart was also an avid modeller as well, he and Henry Fonda flew rc together for many years.  Well before that, before the War, they were starving actors in New York, and had started building a fairly large rubber powered Martin Bomber.  One or the other went to Hollywood and finding work, sent for the other.  In the letter, he cautioned the other to be sure to "bring the Martin Bomber" on the train.

The legendary Doc Martin of Miami Indoor Model Aircraft Association sent a vintage plan to Stewart who autographed it (Fonda was deceased, I think) and filled in the details of the story.

Stewart went on to serve as a bomber pilot for Gen Doolittle in WW2, stayed in the Air Force Reserve, and retired as a 2-Star General, I think.
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 09:30:20 AM »

That's a coincidence - yesterday we were looking at magic wands in Waterstone's for a Christmas gift. Which wand do you use Richard?

Haha, We'll I'll not use the same wand I used on my last 2 Pistachios, they didn't do too well!

Richard Crossley
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »

That Engine is a beauty Smiley

I own "The Great Waldo Pepper",but I've never seen "The Spirit of St Louis".After seeing
your movie stills,I'll track down a DVD copy.I'll be following your build.

Scott

Definitely get a copy of 'The Spirit of St Louis Scott', its a terrific film.

Richard Crossley
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »

Another Standard J-1 Classic film:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv9BNE_8MU

Mark
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 09:42:35 AM »

Lovely choice of subject, Richard. Will you fly it indoors? 32” is a nice size.
I like Waldo Pepper, although I found it a bit nerve-wracking as a child. Loved Spirit of St Louis too. I think Jimmie Stewart maybe had a bit more natural charm than the enigmatic Charles Lindbergh.

(I was nearly ready to post some more pics of my own dummy engine. Might just leave a respectful gap now. Could someone show us something really tatty please?)

Thanks Pete. Well, you inspired me with those pics of the Consolidated PT.
Yes, its for indoor electric primarily. At 32" span its not really that big, in fact bulk-wise its smaller than Mike Stuarts recent Fox Moth and Red Wing. What scale is your PT-3? The real Standard J-1 had huge wings and a fairly short fuselage. I'm not particularly looking forward to tackling my first set of spoked wheels.

Richard Crossley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »

Thanks Richard. My PT-3 is actually 1/15 scale but still a smaller model due to the real one's span being about 9 ft shorter than a Standard J-1 (according to Wiki). I agree though- anything near the 30" mark is good for indoors, at least for Walsall sized halls and bigger. I bet yours will drift round like feather.

I'm not particularly looking forward to tackling my first set of spoked wheels.
Neither am I, as no doubt that'll be another beautifully made part that puts my own efforts to shame!  Grin
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »

Another Standard J-1 Classic film:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv9BNE_8MU

Brilliant! Reminds me of the flying sequence in 'Murphy's War' with a Grumman Duck. I think that was Frank Tallman doing the flying.

Richard Crossley
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »

Wonderful engine!

And the actor modeling stories are great. Did not know that!
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »

That is too cool Richard! Really like the styrene sheet for the various bits.

The J-1 was also used in The Rocketeer, along with some other classics. Look forward to more on this one.
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »

Re:  Spirit of St Louis movie.  Jimmy Stewart lobbied hard for that role.  Felt he was born to play Lindberg, and yes, he had more charm under his little fingernail than Lindberg.  No disrespect to Lindberg, just different personalities.  Lindberg was born to BE a pilot for the ages.

Stewart was also an avid modeller as well, he and Henry Fonda flew rc together for many years.  Well before that, before the War, they were starving actors in New York, and had started building a fairly large rubber powered Martin Bomber.  One or the other went to Hollywood and finding work, sent for the other.  In the letter, he cautioned the other to be sure to "bring the Martin Bomber" on the train.

The legendary Doc Martin of Miami Indoor Model Aircraft Association sent a vintage plan to Stewart who autographed it (Fonda was deceased, I think) and filled in the details of the story.

Stewart went on to serve as a bomber pilot for Gen Doolittle in WW2, stayed in the Air Force Reserve, and retired as a 2-Star General, I think.

This morning at the library,I signed out,"Mission:Jimmy Stewart And The Fight For Europe",by Robert Matzen.
Looks like it's an in depth account of Stewart's B-24 missions.The photos are very good.Two photos,with the
heading,'The Price of Service',shows Stewart after two years of combat flying,which included two months of
maximum effort missions as a squadron commander.He'd aged so much during that period that his parents
were shocked when they saw him.

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   Royal Canadian Navy
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 02:13:53 PM »

Re:  Spirit of St Louis movie.  Jimmy Stewart lobbied hard for that role.  Felt he was born to play Lindberg, and yes, he had more charm under his little fingernail than Lindberg.  No disrespect to Lindberg, just different personalities.  Lindberg was born to BE a pilot for the ages.

Stewart was also an avid modeller as well, he and Henry Fonda flew rc together for many years.  Well before that, before the War, they were starving actors in New York, and had started building a fairly large rubber powered Martin Bomber.  One or the other went to Hollywood and finding work, sent for the other.  In the letter, he cautioned the other to be sure to "bring the Martin Bomber" on the train.

Thanks for this extra detail Flydean - two of my favourite actors!

Gonna look up the Martin Bomber... the question is which one!!  Cheesy
john bowerman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 02:32:17 PM »

Richard, I also love the Jenny and several years ago I bought the Aerographics Kit of the same, thinking I will build that when I get a bit better. It's still in the box so I think I might leave it a little longer now although I think it could work for Kit Scale. Good luck with yours I look forward to seeing the posts.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »

I remember, as a kid, riding my bike from my Aunts house in The los Feliz area of LA to the Reginald Denny hobby shop.

Interesting link:

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/dennyplane.html

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »

Quote from: flydean1

Quote from: Balsa Ace
....Two photos,with the heading,'The Price of Service',shows Stewart after two years of combat flying,which included two months of maximum effort missions as a squadron commander.He'd aged so much...

The effects weren't just physical. Unsurprisingly he got hit with PTSD as well.  Came across some notes to that effect in this article published a few days ago.

The Independent on, "It's a Wonderful Life."
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 03:40:44 PM »

Found a picture of Jimmy with two Models. The one in the background is a Dehavilland.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/24/8b/a4/248ba48dff8563bea551855f67df35ae.jpg
Standard J-1
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »

Richard, I also love the Jenny and several years ago I bought the Aerographics Kit of the same, thinking I will build that when I get a bit better. It's still in the box so I think I might leave it a little longer now although I think it could work for Kit Scale. Good luck with yours I look forward to seeing the posts.

Thanks John.
The Aerographics Jenny is a lovely kit, and builds up very well. I'd forgotten completely that I built this a number of years ago, and the funny thing is I even completed it as the one used in another of the Barnstorming sequences from' The Spirit of St Louis film'! The photos attached show the model, and a blurry still from the film with James Stewart. Unfortunately the Jenny makes a pretty poor free flight model, and is unstable unless it has quite a lot of dihedral added. I think its the high-aspect ratio wings, which are quite close together, and also almost flat on the original. I added a bit of dihedral, and it wasn't enough, my Aerographics model was for mini RC, and often once turning, even full opposite rudder wouldn't pull it out. It would have been fine with ailerons, or more dihedral. I think the Standard j-1 is a different beast though, having a big gap between the wings, sweepback, and dihedral.
Re: Standard J-1

Richard Crossley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »

Looks very nice, even if it didn't fly well. You've got me worried though; My PT-3's also got quite high aspect ratio wings and not all that much dihedrel! I think it's got a longer tail moment than a Jenny though. Do you think that'll save me?
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 04:17:30 PM »

The PT-3 looks to have better proportions than the Jenny to me Pete. Also, using electric power seems to flag up more stability issues than rubber. I think you should be Ok. If in doubt, can you trim it part built so you can make little changes before paint?

Richard Crossley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 04:36:25 PM »

Thanks, that's encouraging. I thought your Jenny was rubber though? Yes, I could trim before painting, except that it's going to be a one piece model I think, so that is probably a bit too much hassle for me.

Sorry to continue the thread hijack, but just for interest here's a quick tail moment comparison of a JN-4 and a PT-3 (with the wing spans scaled to be the same). The Jenny's got a significantly shorter tail (relatively speaking) which is as I thought. And a shorter nose too.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: