Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 04:59:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Standard J-1  (Read 1274 times)
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 05:09:07 PM »

Quote from: flydean1
Stewart went on to serve as a bomber pilot for Gen Doolittle in WW2, stayed in the Air Force Reserve, and retired as a 2-Star General, I think.

Quote from: Balsa Ace
....Two photos,with the heading,'The Price of Service',shows Stewart after two years of combat flying,which included two months of maximum effort missions as a squadron commander.He'd aged so much...

The effects weren't just physical. Unsurprisingly he got hit with PTSD as well.  Came across some notes to that effect in this article published a few days ago.

The Independent on, "It's a Wonderful Life."

Thanks for the link.It's a great film,and to find out from your article that part in the bar scene wasn't scripted,
but it was actually Stewart struggling with his own feelings,makes it an even greater film.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   Royal Canadian Navy
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 05:21:51 PM »

Looks very nice, even if it didn't fly well. You've got me worried though; My PT-3's also got quite high aspect ratio wings and not all that much dihedrel! I think it's got a longer tail moment than a Jenny though. Do you think that'll save me?
The Aerographics Jenny always looked a wrong 'un to me. I wonder what the product flight testing revealed (if anything). The PT3 has perfect proportions apart from balance for rubber. I fancy a 50" Mills 1.3 one but I'm scared of spokes
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 06:19:12 PM »

I think it's got a longer tail moment than a Jenny though. Do you think that'll save me?

It'll help Pete.

More specifically it's the tail moment for the fin (abbreviated as 'lv') that matters more for spiral stability. Compare this to the span. My benchmark rule of thumb is if the vertical fin moment arm is over half the span you can relax a little Smiley
Just from a rough eyeballing the PT-3 looks good but the Jenny fin moment arm looks rather less than half span?

Lovely engine Richard Smiley

Jon
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 07:46:51 PM »

Which reference drawings out there seem to be the most accurate?

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »

Stewart's model appears to be a "Denny Plane", designed by previously mentioned actor/hobby shop owner, Reginald Denny. IIRC, Olivia de Haviland claimed relation to THE De Haviland of  aviation fame.  IMHO, everyone should read the book and see the movie, Spirit of St Louis. It provides a basis for further historical understanding of the actual epic Atlantic hop. Be  forewarned, neither are historically correct.  As a stand alone movie, the SoSL is great film!

Waldo Pepper's j-1 was kept in our hangar for about a ear, in the 1990's. I don't belive; it was ever flown while at Pruner Field, CA. I always meant to get some details, at the time, but life kept getting in the way. Owner,  Earnest Freeman, did loan me some original JN-4D and JN-4Canuck fuselage fittings, for some detail comparison drawings. Both of Ernie's boys, flew and did stunts for the movie, such as Thomas Morse combat and the parachute jump scenes. The Tommie used was also owned by Freeman.

It is my understanding that the Standard J-I used in Waldo Pepper, was constructed by Tallman, from a wrecked original, which had no known registration, thus flew in Limited and or Experimental category. From my opbservation, it was very much original-like, using original fittings, etc.

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 11:50:22 PM »

Re:  Martin Bomber built by Stewart and Fonda.  Per Doc Martin it was a very large plan of the MB-10.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »

LHS has the Dumas Standard J-1 kit on the shelf; 30" span.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »

I too, would like to have some discussion about the best drawings/documentation of the Standard J-1. The OP's templates seem to be from a source unknown to me. They also look pretty decent, at least according to what can be seen. Can  we get a source or link?

Louis Nye's extensive drawings appeared in M.A.N, back in the 1950's. IMHO- too may liberties and guesses overall. Paul Matt did  two plates covering J-1, and while fairly accurate outlines, angles, and such, there is no detail of the fuselage structure.

Between the JN-4's and the J-1, I believe the latter offers a better scale configuration/potential for successful FF operation.

Got to say, I am quite impressed with the model project(s), so far!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: