Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 24, 2019, 12:57:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Odds and Ends  (Read 507 times)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2018, 12:53:06 PM »

Came across these at the weekend and my immediate thought was, "Rigging Eyes!"  Too big for peanut scale or smaller, but I reckon they'd be fine for anything larger. Think they're probably best fixed to the airframe at the fat end but I daresay it'll depend on circumstances.

Fifteen in a pack, about 6.5 mm long and the average weight is under 0.03g per piece and under a quid-fifty a packet.

All I need now is a biplane project to test them on....
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Odds and Ends
Odds and Ends
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 07:36:49 PM »

Also found similar ones down here, a bit cheaper though. I thought I could fit them under on the strut attachments to take the landing and flying wires. I'm always looking for this type of thing.
Re: Odds and Ends
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:12:38 PM »

OOOOH! Good find.   I can see using those longer "chain" types glued in matching pairs, fore and aft of spars, sticking out past the level of covering, to make a functional/proper aircraft type fitting, sticking thru the fabric!  Do they come in various sizes/weights?

In a similar vein, I've been thinking fish hooks,  which come all sorts of styles, sizes,  gauges and angle of their pre-bent precision "eyes". The hook portions can be cut away, leaving a shank length with an eye and used for rigging and possibly functional strut fittings, etc.

Also from craft jewellery sources are those short lengths of small dia.metal tubing, used in beading, etc. they can simulate turnbuckles on rigging wires and depending on material, some can be crimped to make tying a knot, un needed(?).

dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »

Sorry charlieman but the chains only come in the small size and would be too light for your suggestion.  Fish hooks on the other hand are great for attaching rigging wires and come in sizes to fit all applications.
Re: Odds and Ends
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »

45gsm (31lb) paper for paper "decals".

If you don't mind paying through the nose* then you can, as I found out today, get 45gsm A4 paper from art supply shops.  Daler-Rowney do a pad of 80 sheets acid free paper which costs about a fiver.  Goes through an inkjet printer quite happily if you feed it through gummed edge last.

*Ryman's Bank Typing Paper is about 4 quid for 100 sheets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: