Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 20, 2019, 01:57:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Horsa-ing around  (Read 6609 times)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2019, 04:14:21 PM »

Started re-covering, but took a little detour into making up prototypes / templates for the wing fairings.  Glad I hadn't broken fuselage No. 1 for spares.  Jolly handy for test fitting.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Horsa-ing around
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2019, 04:26:14 PM »

Well, the wing is, finally, re-covered and steam shrunk.  It's better than the first go round, but it's no better than, just about, good enough.  Not sure if it's the shape of the wing or simple ham-handness on my part.  Either way going to have to live with it as I don't think I'm going to get a better result. Bit miffed, but that's the way the dunked biscuit falls apart and forms an unappetising sludgy sediment in your tea or coffee. Hey ho.

Unfortunately Lurker Industries are obliged to shut down for for the next week or so which means that the Ministry of  Works and the Ministry of Supply are going to be gallumphing around wanting to know why we've not finished yet. Blasted bureaucrats. Smiley
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2019, 06:12:20 PM »

I think it's definitely the tissue that Lurker Industries has been forced to use under the contract. You can't trust these bureaucrats to know anything about the materials they specify! Smiley
However they probably know a fair bit about dunking biscuits - their main daily activity no doubt Cheesy

John
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2019, 07:40:53 PM »

Try using a bit of water brushed on individual wrinkly bits.  There is probably some shrink left in the tissue.  I have worked on wrinkles 4 or 5 times until they disappeared or were greatly diminished.  Saliva also sometimes helps.
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »

Or you could try steaming it again - as flydean1 says, the tissue can usually be persuaded to shrink multiple times (particularly Esaki).

A.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2019, 10:54:24 AM »

OZPAF > I think it's definitely the tissue that Lurker Industries has been forced to use under the contract.
That sounds like an excellent excuse, I may just use it. Smiley

flydean1 > Try using a bit of water brushed on individual wrinkly bits. ...
abl > Or you could try steaming it again...
Both good suggestions, thank you very much,  and far, far better than my current idea which was to leave a half dozen packets of Players Weights and a crate of brown ale in the office and hope that the Tissue Goblins would fix it for me during the Co's Spring Shutdown.  Smiley
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »

Hmm, an empty crate and lots of full ashtrays, but no sign of any work from the Tissue Goblins.  Never mind; after we'd got the tea urn in the canteen switched back on and checked things over decided that it was good enough for flight testing.  If it flies well then a re-cover (wing and fuselage) will be added to the agenda.

Busy (ish) couple of days.  Wing doped, serials and roundels applied.  Aft wing fairing made and fitted and tissue glazing bars stuck on the canopy.  Quite satisfied with the canopy, couldn't get the curve on the "roof" bars, but the overall effect is OK.  

The doping was "fun".  Have switched back to proper dope for the wing and fuselage so all sorts of faffing around to stop the reek permeating the house.  Oh and don't use Boldmere brushes, they shed bristles like a mangy fox.  

Bit of a cock-up with the aft fairing which required some sanding down after all the glue was set because I'd made a snug fit too snug and which if I'd been thinking properly wouldn't have happened.

I'm probably several years late to the party on this, but if you don't already know then Deluxe's aliphatic adhesive, warning yet another Damned Silly Name ahead,  "Super 'Phat", makes sticking on tissue glazing bars fairly painless.  If you stuff it up the glue is water (or spit) soluble for a minute or three until it sets/cures/whatever so you don't end up with a glue smeared mess.  I expect there are glues out there that are equally good.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2019, 08:11:52 PM »

The end result looks more than eminently flyable. Now to find a volunteer crew and live payload. The design staff perhaps? Smiley

John
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2019, 09:47:42 PM »

Remember to use a winding tube and move your peg location to just behind the wing.  Oh!!! I must be on the wrong thread!  Sorry.

Actually, it is looking REALLY GOOD.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »

Hi Lurker.  That is a really nice shape of a wing, and the way it blends in to the fuse, on an angle like that ... (positive incidence?) ...,  is very eye-catching.   Shocked

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2019, 03:34:37 AM »

Looks great, Lurks. Makes me want to do another scale or scale-ish glider. Lovely job on the roundels too.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2019, 04:18:39 AM »

Nice wurk Lurks  Smiley
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2019, 09:15:58 AM »

Thanks for the kind words chaps, but as far as looks go Abl will testify the,  "Squint at it from 5' in low light." rule applies.

As for a payload I don't think it entirely fair to send the design staff aloft in an untested design even, "...pour encourager les autres." Smiley

A blast tube eh?  Hmmm....

Quite a few fiddly and time consuming little bits to do before it's ready for testing.  Had hoped (weather and boss permitting) to have this ready for Portmeadow on the 2nd, but it's looking increasingly unlikely.
abl
Gold Member

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2019, 02:40:49 PM »

Looks good, Lurk. Very atmospheric [Note 1]. Nice roundels.

A.

Notes
1. By which I mean that it looks suitably Horsa-ish and also as though it was built in 1944-45 using a secret stash of pre-war silver tissue...
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2019, 01:42:33 AM »

*sings* Life is like a slow train, crawling up a hill...

OK the canopy and front fairing are on and some lessons have been learnt.

1.  If you're building the canopy from flat sheet stick the glazing bars on after you've fitted* it or you'll misalign the central bar and have to choose between a misaligned central bar or a misaligned corner. 

2.  It's probably not a good idea to make the front fairing from soft block.

The build notes will be suitably updated.

Other maunderings.  The more I look at the model the more I think that, providing the wing incidence is correct, that the wing should be fixed in place permanently.  Either that or I need to work out a less obtrusive way of hooking the wing on as elastic bands over the top of the wing really do interfere with the appearance.  If I had the storage space I'd go for a permanent fixing.  It'd also have the happy side effect of making it much easier to fit fairings.

Lurk.

*I did "fit" it to fuselage No.1 to avoid damaging No.2 so can't work out quite how I cocked this up.
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2019, 02:12:12 AM »

Hi

Kudos on the covering job alone

Cheers

Mike
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2019, 05:14:54 AM »

A bit of talent and skill showing through there, chaps. 

Would not the idea of having the centre section permanently in situ once you have set the incidence and plug in wings held by magnets work?

I was looking at a Hotspur plan recently Huh
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »

Talent? Skill?   *Looks around*  Nahhh.  Not in here; some bog-standard bodging, the odd iffy fudge coupled with the occasional oath mebbe but those other things? Not even a tiny bit.  Unfortunately. Still one can go a long way with no talent, I give you the House of Commons as an example. Cheesy

Quote from: DavidJP
... plug in wings held by magnets work?
Magnets. Now there's an idea.  Could hold the whole wing on that way. Nice big wing platform lots of space.  One wonders though what effect the v. strong small magnets would have on the RX in any, hypothetical, RC assisted version of the model?  There's also an interesting hidden/internal elastic band idea in Don Ross' book , but it's too late to try that for this build.

Hit a bit of a blocker today.  Stopped off at the stationers to pick up the 7" x 3mm elastic bands I'd ordered last week only to be told they're no longer available. Now casting around for some stop-gap solution.  Will probably end up using a couple of shorter elastic bands looped together although I'm wondering whether or not I can get away with some 1/8" or 3/32" motor strip with loops tied and glued at each end.

Quote from: DavidJP
I was looking at a Hotspur plan recently Huh
That fuselage looks as though it'd be awfully fragile right aft by the stab in anything but quite a large scale model.  Have visions of it snapping right off on a hard landing in something like a 35" span model.

If you fancy something out of the way how about a twin Hotspur? Smiley

While I'm here.  Anyone know where I might find a free to use / public domain,  contemporary to the original plan (i.e. 1940s), colour photograph of an Horsa in a bomber scheme?  The only contemporary colour photographs I can find are of GCU machines from some MoI propaganda/publicity event.  

Cheers,
Lurk.
abl
Gold Member

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2019, 05:09:03 AM »

> Anyone know where I might find a free to use / public domain,  contemporary to the original
> plan (i.e. 1940s), colour photograph of an Horsa in a bomber scheme?

Contemporaneous, in colour, and royalty-free? I think that might be rather a big ask.

However, if you're prepared to accept a rendering rather than a real photo, this appears to be free:

https://www.cgstudio.com/imgd/l/84/56a0530e61946ea4658b4567/2193.jpg

rgds

A.
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2019, 06:22:48 AM »

This video has a few seconds of Horsa in it. Dunno if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSc1vBpCM2w
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2019, 01:20:26 PM »

Thanks both for taking the time to go looking.  I'll go with the render that Abl turned up.  The bit in the film with the Daks & Horsas looks like it might be an excerpt from, "A Bridge Too Far"* and I can imagine Warner Bros/Columbia/United Artists/I can't be bothered to look it up being sniffy about using people stills from it without forking out.

*Other films featuring assault glider ops. are available.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »

Small glasses of the second best Amontillado all round in the boardroom at Lurker Industries Aviation Co. Ltd. and several crates of light ale were also enjoyed by the staff in the works canteen today to mark the completion and roll-out of TL-472.

Or...

Tobitd has been reached. There are other things that could be done, but won't be until, unless, it flies acceptably.

There are a couple of bits of fettling that must be done. Some bits of paint and tissue to touch up in a couple of places and I also need to make a new upper section for the stbd vertical UC strut.  The existing one turned out to be about 1/16" too short.  The build notes have already been updated.

Where are we?

+ Unballasted weight 73.5g so call it 75g for round figures.  Pleased about this, pretty much in line with my estimates.
+ May be nose heavy. Seems to balance between 50% & 60% of root chord.  The experimentally determined CG is 63%.
+ The traditional test glide onto the bed was a success.  Smiley

I'm fairly pleased with it.  Obviously I wanted it to look bandbox fresh rather than like the shopworn old bus that she's turned out to be, but that's down to the builder.  There's also stuff that should really be re-done, but won't be for this build.   Maybe if I do another.

Pictures start with the initial investigations / checks in early Oct. last year.  I've left off the wing bands for most of the "publicity stills".

Lurk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:46:39 PM by TheLurker » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2019, 07:58:45 PM »

It looks very Hors-arish Lurk and I can imagine the whole process from concept, design and sorting out small details for simple manufacture (by coffin makers and furniture workers?) has been an interesting journey.

What next for the illustrious Lurker Industries?

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2019, 12:30:20 AM »

Quote from: OZPAF
What next for the illustrious Lurker Industries?
Ahhh, that would be telling, but you might want to keep an eye on the Indoor Scale board a month or so from now Smiley

Immediate plans are to check this one flies.  If it does deal with the odd bits of cosmetic work, finalise the build guide, clear any copyright issues with Aeromodeller and push the plan and guide to the gallery and then take a break from building and get some flying in.  Rather too much good weather in the last couple of months has been spent at the bench on TL472 rather than out flying.  On which note the weather looking promising for this evening and tomorrow.
abl
Gold Member

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2019, 06:03:48 AM »

Looks good, Lurk.

I assume that the Lurker Industries CTP is sufficiently current on non-powered aircraft for the test flights to be carried out without risk to life and limb...? And I'm assuming that the Lurker Industries PR staff will be able to film the event for subsequent distribution to the usual newsreel agencies...?

Andy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: