Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 25, 2019, 04:07:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OSPREY 20" SPORTS GLIDER Vintage Model Company laser cut kit  (Read 3279 times)
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 45

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 05:13:31 PM »

What a fantastic genuine excuse for taking the Mulholland sanding block to the back of the sheet...
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 05:33:56 PM »

....The laser cut lines did not extend far enough in to the corners of the parts, to meet up with the other laser cut lines......  

ZK-AUD, you could sand that sheet all the way to powder and it won't connect the cut lines. This isn't a shallow diecut.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: OSPREY 20" SPORTS GLIDER Vintage Model Company laser cut kit
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »

Hello fellow modellers:

I just got a friendly phone call from Mr. Hadi Kanan at VMC ( Vintage Model Company ).   He said that they did have a problem with the laser cut settings and that they are sending me a free replacement kit which should be here in 4 days.
    I'm very happy with their response, as it goes beyond the call for replacement sheets.
    I'm sorry about any earlier misunderstandings that were created ...   I was very excited to build this VMC OSPREY glider kit.  And now I'm looking forward to continuing with the same excitement!

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »

Mistakes happen. In manufacturing, in communication, and everywhere else in human endeavor. Always has happened, and always will. The important thing, always, is doing the right thing in the end and trying to solve problems. I'd buy a VMC kit and I'm glad to build models along side of you in this forum, LASTWOODSMAN. 
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 12:50:44 PM »

I just got my replacement OSPREY Glider 20" laser cut kit in the mail.   Smiley These three laser cut sheets are most beautifully and perfectly laser cut.    Shocked   Thanks to Tim Wilcox at the Vintage Model Company VMC.  
     Time to clear that building board as I really want to build and fly this nice design ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »

Any build progress, Richard? Build photos? Bloodroot, Mandrake working up a sweat?
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 02:25:03 AM »

Looks like I am totally scrapping the first kit   Sad   and starting over with the new replacement glider kit.
     I think I found what might be part of the problem with the laser cutting of balsa parts sheet #2  and sheet #3,  of the original first kit.  
     These two sheets were both thicker than sheet #1 ( 1/16" ),  by  about  13.6%  and  18.2%  respectively   Huh  , which may have contributed to  why the laser cut did not go through.   All three parts sheets, of the newer kit, have the exact same sheet thickness of 0.0665" , and the laser cut is perfect.
     And since there is tab and notch construction in this kit, oversize parts   Tongue  will not fit.   Therefor, we will be starting over using the whole new replacement kit.    Reports coming up ...   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »

Yes that could do it.

Looking forward to seeing this plane built!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 09:19:40 PM »

Building board is cleared.

NEW KIT with old kit in behind

1308     Note end opening box ( instead of top opening ),  and new 4 sided larger shinier taped-on pics on the box.   Same nice rolled plans, and rolled tissue in the plans.

1297    Easy on the cutting now ..  nothing like sliding in, nice and deep, a fresh exacto blade, where the blood flows a darker red ...  

1309    Three nicely laser cut sheets

Onwards ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »

Don't get that biodegradable red paint on your pristine balsa.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »

OSPREY  20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

Manadrake and Bloodroot, cyber super soldiers form the future, beam in to Earth from Rigel in their captured Mig 17,  to look for work.

Pic #1     1315     Mandrake taps Bloodroot on the shoulder "Blood, look at the sign".

Pic #2    1311      M and B start to cut out parts and are hired on the spot, employed by "Wasserkuppe Mountain Glider Works".

Pic #3     1317     Sheet #1 parts are all cut out and lightly sanded on the edges and labelled.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2019, 03:50:31 PM »

Those boys are going to need foul weather gear on that mountain. When it rains, it pours on Wasserkuppe. Tough flying in and out of that bowl, too.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2019, 07:59:39 PM »

It looks like they have opened these frozen archive films.

German Glider Training Historic Film
Black and white Historic video  15:25  min here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpF1I1S13no

One Pic of Towline attachment
5 Pics snipped from the above video showing human powered towlines for launching the glider

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 09:27:28 PM »

Looks like a Minimoa.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2019, 07:27:53 PM »

It looks like this was in the late 30's as some of the gliders were quite advanced as shown by the one that resembled a Minimoa - gull wings and Wolfe type tip panels. They were certainly light as shown by their gliding speeds.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 11:15:35 PM »

OSPREY 20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

The parts are now prepared.   All of the laser cut parts "fell out",  when the tiny balsa bridges were cut.

The laser cut parts' edges were hardly burned at all.  There was no black charring, and very little discoloration.  Very light, very short, sanding swipes, by Mandrake and Bloodroot, brought all of the balsa parts down to their lowest common denominator - clean white balsa.

Pic #1     1319    Down to the last of the laser cut parts on the third sheet.

Pic #2     1327     Mandrake and Bloodroot "go all out",  and even lightly sand the laser cut edges.

Pic #3     1324     All of the parts are now cut out, the edges of the parts are sanded to white balsa,  and all of the parts are now labelled.

Pic #4     GERMAN LUFTWAFFE GLIDER PILOT BADGE
Pic #5     REVERSE SIDE OF GERMAN LUFTWAFFE GLIDER PILOT BADGE
Pic #6     NSKF LARGE GLIDER PILOTS BADGE and DESCRIPTION

Where's that white glue ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »

OSPREY  20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

Mandrake and Bloodroot cut the kit plan in half, and start work on the glider wing center section.

Pic #1     1337     M & B scotch tape some new wax paper over the wing plan.
Pic #2     1339     They pin down, test fit, and brace up,  the LE and TE and the Center ribs, and front spar CS3,  ensuring all mating surfaces have a lightly snug fit.

4 pics snipped from the video
Pic #3     AUSTRIAN GLIDING  1
Pic #4     AUSTRIAN GLIDING  2
Pic #5     AUSTRIAN GLIDING  3
Pic #6     AUSTRIAN GLIDING  4

Here is a really good 8:27 min black and white historic video of
SAILPLANES & GLIDERS SOARING IN THE AUSTRIAN ALPS 1954, called "Riding the Wind".

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=BLACK+AND+WHITE+G%c3%b6ppingen+G%c3%b6+3+Minimoa+GLIDER&&view=detail&mid=A297CC573613721B5678A297CC573613721B5678&&FORM=VRDGAR

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 05:55:50 PM »

These guys spend a lot of time lying down on the job Richard! You better renegotiate their wages Smiley
The video clip was an interesting look back into history.
I liked the comment halfway through when 'that flying these gliders is regarded by some as harder than flying REAL aeroplanes". I guess that means they don't have real crashes Smiley

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2019, 12:03:25 AM »

OSPREY  20"  SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

Work continues on the outer wing panels.
     The center section of the wing is now done.  One of the gussets had a false glue joint on one surface.  Repeated hot water from a small brush loosened the white glue, and M and B reglued the gusset  -   no weak point any more ... ( for that cartwheel landing   Sad  ).
     M & B examine the shape of the strong center spar W4, that has an angled end from the last rib, down to the wing tip piece W3, already built in.

Pic #1     1340     Center Wing Section
Pic #2     1345     M & B lay out the outer wing panel parts and examine the  center spar
Pic #3     Glider Color Scheme (possible)  

3 snip pics from the video:
Pic #4     Wolfgang Hirth
Pic #5     HARRIS HILL ELMIRA NEW YORK 1930 S
Pic #6     SALTO AEROBATIC SAILPLANE

Glider Documentary "SOARING" video 27:36 min
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=BLACK+AND+WHITE+G%c3%b6ppingen+G%c3%b6+3+Minimoa+GLIDER&&view=detail&mid=786F4302CD33CF8DCEB2786F4302CD33CF8DCEB2&&FORM=VDRVRV&ajf=10

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2019, 02:07:32 PM »

Everything in this kit seems to be tab and notch in both LE and TE and the ribs -   really sturdy tab and notch construction.

Pic #1     1346     All of the ribs and spars were blocked up and test fit.    Then they were double white glued and pinned flat to the building board, except the inner ribs.   The ribs were held in place by long balsa planks bent under pressure by a round head pin in each end.

Pic #2     1350      I noticed that I missed four small gussets  Huh  in the wing center section -  added now.   The inner and outer ribs on the outer wing sections are now glued in place, and gussets are added.   The parts board is getting smaller.   Cheesy

Pic #3     1352     This is a view of the single spar added to each outer wing panel, and it is also pinned down flat to the board, with those bent balsa planks.

Pic #4     1355    After letting the "double" white glue dry overnight, Mandrake and Bloodroot carefully remove, using the "sharpened" flat butter knife,  the wing sections from the board, to see if all of the gussets and LEs and TEs and ribs,  to see if they actually glued flat on the bottom.

Pic #5     1359     Success -  they were all flat on the bottom!    M and B now lightly sand the bottoms of the wing sections with 150 grit sandpaper.

Pic #6     1358     Here is the finished underside.   These laser cut parts all fit together wonderfully,  they are all flush and even, with solid "double white glued" joints on all mating surfaces.   These tab and notch joints do seem to be very much stronger than a butt glued joint.   I always like to try to get the framework as good as possible -   thereby not qualifying as an excuse for a bad tissue covering job ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2019, 08:40:03 PM »

Mandrake and Bloodroot have alreaady put much work  into the sanding and fit of the wing components.   This is the rough test fit.

Pic #1     1360     M & B have assembled and glued and braced up the horizontal stabilizer, and let it dry all day.

Pic #2 and  #3   1363  and   1365      M & B now work late into the evening disassembling, and then inspecting, both sides of the tail frame.

Pic #4    1367     Both sides of the horizontal tail plane, are flush and double white glued, and it is now ready for final sanding and shaping.   

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:46 PM »

Coming along nicely!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 10:27:28 AM »

OSPREY 20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

Thanks vt.   Smiley

More progress - big freezing rain ice storm hit last night and this morning.  I think everybody is getting this big one ...

Pic #1     1369     Very nice Tab and Notch parts everywhere in this laser cut kit.   Fin / Rudder
Pic #2     1370     All  glued and clamped up.
Pic #3     1372     Bloodroot says "Looks good to me!"
Pic #4     1373     Parts sheet is getting smaller.   Mandrake and Bloodroot now start on the fuselage.
Pic #5     1371     Freezing rain ice storm overnight, on top of  1/4" of snow, leaves a  crust of 1/2  inch of soft ice that your dog's paws break through - sidewalks and everything iced over.  You can see the water squishing around under the ice when you step on it ...
Pic #6     OSPREY DIVING

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »

2nd post of the day

Before starting on the fuselage, Mandrake and Bloodroot decided to finish all of the final sanding and fitting, of the completed framed parts, built so far.     All the lightly laser cut edges were easily sanded with a couple of light swipes.   All of the balsa is now very nice and white and clean, which leaves open the option of wood staining the framework before covering it with tissue.   I plan on gluing the tissue to all rib edges, and all surfaces, using "white glue" ( thinned to 70% glue and 30% water ).    Mandrake and Bloodroot even sanded the inside edges of the fuse cutouts, using round steel files.
     The wing panels are now test fitted and sanded for a very close alignment of the Leading Edge and Trailing Edge, and the mating rib faces, using the two 32 mm balsa blocks to set the test dihedral.   A tiny bit face of balsa was sanded off of the outside of the outer ribs of the center wing,  in order to get the dihedral angle correct, when holding the ribs together of the outer wing panels, to/with the ribs on the center section.   It all really fits well.   With all of the ice and bad weather outside, it was a perfect day for some liesurely, exacting sanding, whilst listening to some calm peaceful and relaxing, "meditation relaxation and study" Celtic Harp and Flute music.    here - one hour

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=calm+peaceful+and+relaxing%2c+%22meditation+relaxation+and+study%22+Celtic+Harp+and+Flute+music&&view=detail&mid=7EF1034CCCD08EF1B4BE7EF1034CCCD08EF1B4BE&&FORM=VRDGAR

Pic #1     1375     The wing is test fit and final sanded.    
Pic #2     1376     View from the front.
Pic #3     1382     View of top of wing, stabilizer and fin/rudder.
Pic #4     1385     View of the bottom side of the wing - the underside of the wing panels is flat.
Pic #5     1381     View from the front.
Pic #6     1387     Parts left on the Ross Craft Board.

Now onto the fuselage ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2019, 03:19:01 PM »

More progress, slow but sure ...

Pic #1     1394     Set up for glueing the  1/16" sq  (1.6 mm sq.) stiffeners to Formers F5, F7, and  F9.

Pic #2     1396     The stiffeners are now cut to length, and the formers are blocked up.  

Pic #3     1398     The stiffeners are now glued and blocked up ... sort of ...  had a lot of trouble getting them to stick in the right spot ... gluing these was a lot harder than it looks.   Undecided

Pic #4     1399     Both sides of the fuselage are blocked up and pinned down to set up for gluing three fuse side stiffeners on each fuse side.

Pic #5     1401   Here the stiffeners are double white glued in place.   Two small  gussets, that were missing, were also added to the fin/rudder.

Pic #6     1402     All the parts so far.   Twelve support strips of 1.6 mm square balsa ( 1/16" sq ),  have been added so far.    Roll Eyes

All clean white balsa double white glued and with no pin holes ...   Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: