Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 20, 2019, 06:52:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OSPREY 20" SPORTS GLIDER Vintage Model Company laser cut kit  (Read 3210 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2019, 01:57:16 PM »

OSPREY 20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

This laser cut kit is a traditionally constructed, free flight cabin sports glider.   If you like kits in boxes, this is a good box -    20 1/2"  X  5'  X  2", with good color pics of the actual finished model on the top and end.  And on the bottom  of the box is another big pic and more information, and smaller color pics of the other models in their lineup.

Some Interesting Design Features

-   a hollowed out laser cut nose block, which is the space for adding modellers clay ballast weight, to balance the model
-   dowels and elastics to hold both the main wings, and the tailplane, to the fuselage
-   map grid lettering and numbering on the plan margins
-   a  100  mm "Scale" in the "X' and "Y" axis, in order to check the accuracy of any photocopy of the plan you make
-   easy tab and slot locations for gluing the fin/rudder
-   a lot of strengtheners and stiffeners and reinforcing in the design
-   a piece of clear acetate for the windows and "trim tabs"
-   a lot of "tab and notch" construction
-   a nice handy little 32 page booklet of instructions, etc.
-   a supplied bottle of PVA glue (very nice addition)
-   piano wire for the tow hook
-   three laser cut clean balsa parts sheets, with no inked on parts numbers - a parts reference sheet is included instead
-   yellow and blue tissue is supplied -    one sheet each ~  29" X 10"  of  Yellow and Blue Tissue, and the plan ( 22" X 15" ),  were all rolled and not folded.
-   also laser cut pieces and instructions, for laminating a sanding block and adding different grit sandpaper to both sides

This should be an enjoyable,  "first glider" build.

Pic #1     PLAN NEW BEST
Pic #2     PARTS REFERENCE SHEET
Pic #3     PLAN AND KIT BOX
Pic #4     TISSUE, INSTRUCTION BOOKLET, GLUE, WIRE, AND 3 ELASTICS  
Pic #5     COMPLETED GLIDER 9  
Pic #6     BOTTOM OF BOX

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
OSPREY 20" SPORTS GLIDER Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »

OSPREY 20"  SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

Well,  I finally figured out   Huh  all of these new foam Dave Banks Pilots I got from Sams,  and paired them up with the aircraft I bought them for.  These aircraft are at the top of my "to do list" that we all have.  One of these pilots is a civilian  1:20 scale Pilot for the  20" Osprey Glider.    Yes, it must have a "scale" pilot - no headless horsemen ...LOL  Cheesy   The Fleet Canuck Pilot looks more WW1 than Civilian though.

And here are the three laser cut balsa parts sheets from the OSPREY kit, along with the  8 1/2" long  1/8" dowel,  a clear acetate sheet for the windscreen, and the instruction booklet open to "TEST GLIDES".

Pic #1    THREE BALSA SHEETS AND ACETATE AND DOWEL
Pic #2     DAVE BANKS PILOTS  3
Pic #3     30"  DH 60 GIPSY MOTH PILOT
Pic #4     20"  OSPREY PILOT
Pic #5     30"  STANDARD J-1 PILOTS
Pic #6     28" STEARMAN PILOTS

I think that is about it for the pre-amble - time to cut out the tiny balsa bridges with a new exacto blade, steel rule, and a cutting board, and release these laser cut parts ...   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Re: OSPREY 20" SPORTS GLIDER Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 12:42:01 PM »

Love the way you mock stuff up for your photos Richard!

However, does Sams not have Mounties???
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 07:14:26 PM »

Thanks vtdiy.   Roll Eyes   I fiddled a bit to get those pilot pics just right all together -  morning light through the balcony window/door, and  angled all the heads downward a bit, and rotated 30 degrees about the z axis, which gave just about the right light and angle to see the different features better.  And I used no flash on the digital camera.
     Unfortunately, Sams does not have any Mounties, LOL,  but I did see a very nice Easy Built model, Miss Canada Senior (36" I think), with a perfect profile head and bust of  'Dudley Do Right' of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) {Mounties}, our Federal Police Force - they "always get their man".   I guess you could always carve up his massive jaw and pilot head out of foam ...   Grin

"Mechanical Dudley" cartoon episode video 4:34 min here   https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dudley+doright+episodes&&view=detail&mid=0BAFF212921652AEDB2D0BAFF212921652AEDB2D&&FORM=VRDGAR

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 11:28:39 PM »

It's going to be a classic looking glider. It looks like a very nicely cut and packaged kit, and pretty strong construction, too with those sheet sides. Will you run with a towline or use a hi-start?
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:05:06 AM »

Morning vtdiy.   The kit is designed to be built as a traditionally constructed, Free Flight cabin Sports Glider -  ie   a built up balsa wood skeleton (framework), covered with a tissue skin.   Although not a "serious" sports glider model, it is capable of surprisingly long flights.  The Instruction Booklet also talks about the decline and loss of manufacturers such as FROG, KeilKraft, and Veron, and the revival of these kits which is now underway today.
     Since I will be  flying on flat grass (no hills or slopes here), I think I will be just going for short and simple flights with hand launching with a rubber band catapult, and learn about glider trimming.  No towline or highstart - not enough room in a Cricket Wicket Grounds.   The model seems to be reinforced quite well, so we will see how it handles those "cartwheel landings" -  no props or motors to worry about - just pure gliding.   Time to start cutting out the parts of this first Glider ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 10:20:48 AM »

The old style gliders are the prettiest planes of all, to me. As a kid I really wanted a Berkeley Sinbad, bad!

Hand launching w/ or without catapault sounds like fun!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:35:14 AM by vtdiy » Logged
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "catapult" but this model is really only strong enough for a hi-start of a few feet of 1/8" rubber (or less) and a few yards of line. Anything more than that will pull the wings off!
Regards
Ron
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 11:55:06 AM »

Hi Ron - thanks for the warning!   Shocked   I'm not sure of the proper terminology - hand held bungee launch with a length (?)  of 1/8" rubber at the end of a stick, using the "towhook" wire at the bottom of the main skid - yes   Cheesy  I don't want to rip off the wings ... LOL
     Hi vtdiy - thanks for the "Sinbad" glider pic -  the Sinbad is a beauty and was next on the list, and it is available in 36" laser cut kit here at Retro RC here  
http://retrorc.us.com/retroemoth-1-2-1-2-1-1-2.aspx     
and a whole lot of other gliders here       There are so many nice ones to choose from.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=23492.msg229179#msg229179

3 Sinbad pics -  it has the built up fuselage.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »

...this model is really only strong enough for a hi-start of a few feet of 1/8" rubber (or less) ...
Definitely smaller width.  My experiments last summer with 1/8" and my Osprey were really rather hair-raising.  The wings stay on OK, but you get ferocious loops on launch with anything but the slightest tension, even with packing under the trailing edge.   

I've got some 1/16" that I bought just before Xmas with both it and the Walthew MKII in mind which I'll be trying when I get that rare combination of decent-ish weather and the free time to take advantage of it.
vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 01:21:18 PM »

Does anyone run with a towline any more?
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 276

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »

Yes
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 01:34:17 PM »

I only towed the prototype, I don’t think it would need much rubber it is a very small machine.

Running with the line is what I had children for!  Cheesy Grin

Andrew

Klunk
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 10:27:42 AM »

OK - I am started - just taking my time trying  ( Roll Eyes)   to cut out the balsa bridges exactly so that there is no need for sandpaper ...   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »

Guys, the "family" towline glider was the Sinbad. It hung from the ceiling of every house I lived is since before I was born. I don't know where it is now, it was last seen in Thee Olde Man's studio in the Florida Keys. Lots of stuff went here and there when we moved him out. We flew the "H" out of the Sinbad. I am quite turned on by the robust, yet elegant curvy look of the cars, planes and women of that age! I like this new trajectory you are on Richard!

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 02:41:16 PM »

Hi Crabby - throw in a pic of the olde man's Sinbad glider if you have one - it's nice to hear annecdotes from the olden days -  I agree with "the robust, yet elegant curvy look of the cars, planes and women of that age!"   Take for instance, my first car, in 1971 at age 15, gasoline was 32 cents per Imperial Canadian gallon (4.54 litres), insurance only $80 per year, and drove it all year full time under my parent's name (they never drove it) -  a 1967 Chrysler Dodge Polara two door hardtop - a robust elegant boat - 318 cu in V8  -  18 to 20 mpg all the time.  Smiley

Balsa Sheet no 1 parts all cut out and labelled.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:29:34 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »

Heh, I was drivin' a '61 Austin Healey 3000 then that I had bought for $450. Not exactly a Vermont suitable car, with almost zero ground clearance to begin with and trying to negotiate snow covered dirt roads. I'd knock the muffler off the flexi-headpipes sometimes just driving over the curb ramp at a gas station, trying to get some of that 32 cent gas! I think I eventually sold it for $350 and got a VW beetle of similar vintage. Now Healeys are worth a fortune.

Man you are organized for this build. What a layout! Looking forward to first glue!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 04:22:41 PM »

Yes

Runnin' Shoes Jim?  Wink
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 276

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 06:24:26 PM »

At my end of the towline.  'Walkin' Shoes' at the top end. 66"version of my 1955 88" original.

Actually, not much running with a good towhook position - just enough to get nose up into the breeze and then it kites to top of line.  In 84th year I'm not much into sprinting   :-)
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 07:42:00 PM »

Hi Jim (applehoney) - was that your model pic in Reply #11 - a  'Walkin' Shoes'  66"version of my 1955 88" original.   Very nice - congrats on reaching 84 and still enjoying the hobby - please feel free to post pics or comments into my builds any time - I know you guys have a wealth of knowledge and stories ...   Shocked Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 12:27:25 PM »

I spent a relaxing morning cutting out the parts bridges exactly and sanding up edges, on my  OSPREY 20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit  There are a lot of nicely laser cut notches on the fuse side sheets.

Pic #1     1290     Sheet #2 is half cut out.  The two halves of the sanding block are glued together and clamped.
Pic #2     1295     Almost done.   Sanding block is ready for sandpaper.   
Pic #3     1291     Window pic of finished fuse side   
pic #4     1296     Side fuse weighs  1.07 grams
Pic #5     OSPREY WITH LARGEMOUTH BASS   
Pic #6     OSPREY WITH FISH 3

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »

Your parts work and layouts make me want to build a kit, Richard!

The second fish is a mullet.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 06:19:18 AM »

Sorry my build is taking so long .   Laser cut sheets #2 and #3 - the parts do NOT fall out when the small bridges are cut, because the laser cut files did not work.    All you have to do is hold it up to the light to see it.    The laser cut lines did not extend far enough in to the corners of the parts, to meet up with the other laser cut lines.  Really  a hassle to have to trace every laser cut line with a steel rule, and try to meet up with the other one.   Especially all of the very small notches.   If you buy this kit - make sure they examine their laser cut sheets before they mail it to you.  This is my first laser cut VMC kit.   Huh Huh

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »

Interesting.  I had no trouble whatsoever when I built mine, nor with any other of the VMC kits I've built.  An unfortunate one-off with your kit perhaps? This sort of thing does happen with even the best manufacturers.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 04:36:16 PM »

I concur with the Lurker as with both the VMC kits I have built had no issues with part seperation. Seems like a one off that you have clearly dealt with very easily. Think about the die crushed kits we used to have to deal to and often replace useless parts.
Ricky
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: