Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 01:02:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MotionRC (What are we to do with this information?)  (Read 1075 times)
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

United States United States

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »

I have to admit that marketing just baffles me.

I was over at MotionRC collecting some links for another thread and I noticed that every few minutes a pop up would come on saying that someone from somewhere just bought something.
https://www.motionrc.com

MotionRC why would I care? Does MotionRC want me to send these poor fools a condolence letter? Really, MotionRC why tell us this information?

What I get from this pop up is that sales are slow and mainly for low cost items. This and seeing how slowly things move on the MotionRC Scratch and Dent  sales page lead me to think that MotionRC (and maybe the whole foam ARF segment) is having a major problem with sales.
https://www.motionrc.com/collections/scratch-and-dent-items

This isn’t limited to MotionRC, as I’ve seen a major reduction in the number of foam ARF even from Hobby King. Actually the only area I’ve seen any real growth in the number of RC products offered is in the FVP/Drone segment of the hobby.

Anyone have any insight as to the direction the RC market is heading. I know about all the FAA drone registration showed was that the AMA represented a very small segment of the RC activities. I see that Tower Hobbies marking is heavily focused of the multi rotor drone and RC cars. So are the AMA's Model Aviation magazine's ads heavily focused of the multi rotor drone.

Are we the classic RC model airplane flier (and maybe builder) no longer relevant when looking at the marketing of RC products? I ask this as the frequency of sales at MotionRC leads me to think that the industry (our hobby) is in decline.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Bill G
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 04:18:56 AM »

Actually a "builder" today only needs a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.   Grin
The "pop up" search based marketing is annoying.  Sometimes I have to laugh however, when I look at garbage just for laughs, such as kits on Ebay half built and missing the rest of the parts, and then it pops up on Facebook to remind me of it, or even in my email.

LOL, just went to Motion and they had to almost immediately informed me that someone from Brisbane CA purchased a battery. Their ISP tracking must not be working properly either.  Just went back again and they told me about it again.  At least be smart enough to make up another story.

I've come across other discussions where people have noticed the shift of focus on drones, rather than aircraft.  I think the demand and possibly profits/profit margins draw them in.  Personally it's not smart marketing however, for a number of reasons.
1.  If aircraft model production is dropping off, then it could be an increased opportunity for someone with a decent product, having less competition.    
2.  There are some aircraft niche areas that haven't been exploited and could be profitable.  GWS never got that principle with small EDFs, and were onto the small fans before anyone else. Big miss there on their part, for not taking advantage of the opportunity. It took another 4 years or so, before the UMX and other small jets finally came to market.  GWS had been spoiled with the higher margins of selling unpainted foam kits with Mabuchi motors at around $1 their cost.  That era was coming to and end however.
3.  Decent model aircraft can and will sell, much due to their appeal.  Helicopters and drones are generally not so appealing in terms of looks, and rely on their performance for sales.  That said, people quickly realize which ones are the best in class, in various price ranges.  Aircraft are simpler machines, and not as difficult to produce with decent flying qualities.  GWS made the mistake of spending money and resources in the heli market.  There may have not been much competition back then, but it didn't matter, as you will lose the market if only 1 competitor has a better product. The drone market is the last market I would want to be in today.  With model aircraft, people aren't concerned if a Piper Cub flies better than an F22. As long as the F22 flies reasonably well, then they will want it.  
Heron pilot
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 06:43:11 AM »

I was also somewhat annoyed by the pop ups telling me what someone had bought and where they were from.. Was this supposed to make me want to buy the same thing?.. LOL
Konrad
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »

Actually a "builder" today only needs a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.   Grin
So true, so sad.

This now appears to be a marketing point, looking and the videos touting no glue need with the latest EPO toys.

In my day snap together models were for the 4 to 6 year olds. I think Mattel had that market segment tied up.

Konrad
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »

I was also somewhat annoyed by the pop ups telling me what someone had bought and where they were from.. Was this supposed to make me want to buy the same thing?.. LOL
MotionRC is not the only modeling firm using pop ups, even the better sites like Horizon Hobby uses pop ups on their site.
While still as annoying to see this pop up asking to “chat”.  It is at least not as asinine as MotionRC’s telling us of their sales issues.

I wonder if any of these firms have asked their customer base (not rely on Google’s spin) it they find these pop up helpful. I also wonder if they have done their own analysis to see if the added cost of this pop up has actually driven up the sales numbers.

I hope we the public aren't so easily manipulated that these pop up actually have driven up sales. But then again nobody has gone broke underestimating the populous.

All the best,
Konrad

Bill G
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »

The chat pop ups are a complete insult, when taken into full perspective.  Classic was BH.  I believe that well known promo guy (due to high self promotion/exposure on the forums...another pliers/screwdriver/no glue builder) who's always trying to get free models was once there on a mission, and of course there was only one person seen in the photos.  Small operation no surprise there, but they used 4 or 5 names (some even comical ones at that) as online customer support reps.  The point is that the purpose of chat pop up is to sell you stuff.  If you need customer service, suddenly things change.  People would report using chat to try to get CS, and the line would go dead as soon as they mentioned CS.  It was also obvious that the CS alias names were all the same guy.  

Another sales comedy is the pop up that shows "some guy bought this and that other itmes, when he bought the item that you're currently looking at".  Sure that's fine, but we're all good here with just the battery.  No hairspray needed to go with it.  Beyond the sheer entertainment value of seeing some of the junk that people supposedly bought Grin it has never been any value. I'm convinced it may actually just be random suggestions, and not real sales history in some cases. Better places would do what Tower does and simply show you that you just might want to buy something like a rotor blade for an EDF unit, if it is sold separately.  Beyond that, there's obviously no need to suggest purchasing hairspray.

So true, so sad.

This now appears to be a marketing point, looking and the videos touting no glue need with the latest EPO toys.

In my day snap together models were for the 4 to 6 year olds. I think Mattel had that market segment tied up.
...and then there were the AMTs.  Still simple, but had solid metal axles, which worked well for our use of strapping Estes engines to the cars. Grin  I'm convinced a number of the ARF/RTF models these days end up in a similar state, given the high experience level and attention to detail of the "builders".  

Yeah especially batteries being recommended, in my case.  I've learned that the best batteries are the dirt cheapest from HK, and some of the top brands, such as TP.  While even some of them aren't always the best, everything in-between is generally what I refer to as "brand name recognition abuse", or just a bad deal.  GP was king of that, selling the worst batteries for the price, as some unknowingly thought they must be good, and others just thought they needed their brand to go with the model.  Eflite batteries are along the same lines, and just a hair better.  Partially explains why GP never got heavy into the EDF market, as I question if many EDFs would even fly on their batteries.  The model at minimum should be able to barely stay airborne.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:11:04 PM by Bill G » Logged
Heron pilot
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 12:29:03 AM »

I think Hyperion might be on to something with their new Silicone/Graphene cells. They've done something to the anode and cathode to improve the flow from one to the other (as I understand it) and supposedly far less deterioration of the anode over time. They are claiming 1000 cycles average life span. They aren't the cheapest but still cheaper than eflite which we all know are junk. I picked up two 3s 2200 packs for my Heron glider and they have the lowest IR of any cells regardless of capacity that I've owned in the past. They are sold in standard 4.20 voltage and their HV offering.  I don't trust HV lipos and Hyperion openly admits they will suffer from less cycle life than standard voltage cells. Now if they only made them in 5s 1800mah so I could make the 10s configuration I need for my F5B glider, I could really put them to the test. In the two packs I bought, cell matching was outstanding.
Bill G
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 01:53:52 AM »

Hyperion seems to have good cells.  Used a 2s-240 (tiny) to power a twin Guillows B25, with 2 10gm HXT outrunners and 3-blade 5030 props.  I didn't need to use full throttle, but it seemed to have no problem providing it.  Have another 2s-200 that's used in several 20-24" prop jobs, and was actually purchased for my 19.5" DH 106 Comet, as an Eflite near equivalent wouldn't do the job.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=guillows+b25+flight+you+tube&view=detail&mid=E356676805DBA8A520E9E356676805DBA8A520E9&FORM=VIRE
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Bill+G&qft=+Filterui%3auserpage-ucalvquw9xixa4_hafb_63eq&view=detail&mid=0C94D0EE2EC00E2D92C00C94D0EE2EC00E2D92C0&FORM=VRDGAR

Good point on the HV cells not necessarily being the longest lasting.  The best batteries I've had over time have been "decent" Pro-Lites, some being the old brown label.  When they would come out with ultra high C lipos, they didn't seem to have the best reputation for longevity and cycles, from what I've heard.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: MotionRC (What are we to do with this information?)
Re: MotionRC (What are we to do with this information?)
Heron pilot
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »

Once again, I was deceived by the marketing dept.  I don't believe they invented a new chemical mix to make their lipo cells better than any other lipo cell... The packs I bought are holding up well though and they did do a good job with cell matching.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: