Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 18, 2019, 05:04:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gee Bee Z - Dumas kit build  (Read 2634 times)
bgrove
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:13:01 PM »

I received two Dumas kits at Christmas this year!!!  I'm going to build the Gee Bee Z first.  This will be my first build from a kit since I got back into the hobby several years ago.  I'm sure I'll make many modifications along the way, but it will be nice to have a jump start on cutting out pieces.

I've opened the kit up and I have done a quick look through.  The wood and laser cutting look very nice.  I've haven't seen all the wood at one time in many years and it's a lot!!  When scratch building, I'm always just grabbing wood from my supply as needed.  It was fun to see.

The decals will be nice.  The plans and tissue comes folded  Angry   I wish they were rolled.  I have the plans with me at work today to make copies before I start building.  I'll keep the original plans as a master.

The vacuum formed parts are nice, but I don't think I'll use them.  I like an 'all wood' build.  That's just me.  I do like the plastic wheels.  Nice and light and fit together surprisingly well.

The canopy is horrible.  I think I've read that before about Dumas kit canopies.  It's heavy and not at all clear.  I'll make my own plug and vacuum form my own.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Gee Bee Z - Dumas kit build
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:03:59 PM by bgrove » Logged
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »

Hi there.  Just a quick note about making copies of kit canopies or other plastic parts.  Go to Michaels (or other craft/art store and buy a packet of art plaster.  Its used for carving, etc.  Its very cheap and sets up very quickly!  Just pore it into the part you wish to duplicate, clean it up as required and pull your plug.  Simple, fast and reusable.

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:59:09 PM »

Great models!

I have that same GBZ kit -- bought years ago, but never built, I'll definitely be watching with interest!

ps. If you do pour plaster of Paris into a molded plastic part, you might want to put a thin wipe of Vaseline on first as a mold release. Plaster of Paris expands on curing very slightly, and I once had a part lock in so tight, that I had to cut it off. Plaster of Paris can also be found at good hardware stores. I use it a lot in metal casting.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 06:32:44 PM »

Great ideas, thanks.  It sounds so much easier than hand carving a whole new plug.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 45

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:03:40 PM »

I have that kit as well and have looked at it a couple of times.  Generally the wood is a good quality but the design has a lot of wood in it for the wing area.  I wouldn't be shy about ditching any strip that felt heavy or engineering in some more lightness!
vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 08:05:55 PM »

Hope this isn't too much information --just one more hint re. plaster of Paris...the way to measure and mix a small quantity is:

Use a tall container about twice the capacity of what you want to mold, for instance a disposable plastic cup. Add cold, not warm, water to the half way point. Use a teaspoon and spoon in plaster of Paris into the center of the cup. Not the edges. Don't stir. Keep adding PoP to the center until a little island appears above the surface in the center of the cup, and doesn't sink back down. That's the exact right amount of PoP powder you need. Now stir carefully trying not to introduce bubbles. Pour carefully into your greased mold, trying not to create bubbles. Tap the sides off your mold to dislodge any bubbles, and let it set. Plaster of Paris hardens quickly, but actually cures over a few days, so be careful with it at first. Hope that helps.

Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 02:09:32 AM »

Please reread my post, it is not plaster of paris.  Its used by artists and cures via an exothermal reaction.  Not too hot that it melts the plastic and it does not expend or shrink.  Nor have I ever had it stick to the plastic.  Anyways....really looking forward to this build. Grin

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:22:45 AM »

I'm an artist, I use Plaster of Paris which is the traditional medium in bronze statuary casting, making maguettes, etc., it cures through exothermic reaction it doesn't normally stick to plastic itself, but can form lock due to expansion if the mold draft isn't sufficient, as does so called "artist's plaster", both expand a tiny amount which is why they pick up detail so well and produce an accurate replica. "Artists plaster" is only a generic term but is generally the same thing re-labeled at higher price. Either will work, and for a blown canopy, a simple wipe of Vaseline release probably isn't necessary, but always a good idea, cowls can be a bigger problem. Of course Just use whatever is most convenient to purchase, the results will be the same.
Re: Gee Bee Z - Dumas kit build
mescal1
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure your canopy has a plastic film covering it.  You should be able to peel it off and have a nice clear canopy!
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »

Wow.  Laser cut parts are nice!!  Smiley  The kit is building very quickly and easily.  Everything fits so perfectly.  I don't think I enjoy the kit as much as scratch building, but it's fun and a nice change!!

I have the fuselage framed almost completely framed up and built the rudder and stabilizer last night.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »

And, yes, the canopy did have a protective film on it.  It's all nice and clear, although still pretty thick and heavy for a canopy.   Thank you for info on this.  I still might make a new, lighter canopy.

Here a couple more shots of the progress.
vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »

Wow that is coming along quickly. It loos like quite a strongly built model, too.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 08:09:25 PM »

Seriously consider doubling or tripling the number of Fuse stringers. I did and it made a significant improvement on the realism of the model.
 The small weight gains have small effect as these GB's don't fly exceptionally well under gummy band power.. regardless.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »

Thank you for the suggestion Fred.  I agree.  I just went and reviewed a bunch of photos of replicas.  Most have sheeting up front and more stringers at the rear as you suggest.  I'm thinking of using some 1/64th or 1/32nd sheet I have around the cowl and front.  Then adding stringers at the back.  Plus, the kit and plans show no brace wires/rods.  The plane had quite a few and is a strong design element the planes 'look', so I'm going to incorporate those.

I'm wavering back on forth on using the vacuum formed plastic parts.  It would be quicker to use them and it's what the kit intended, but I have an aversion against them deep in my soul.  I know I can knock out wheel pants, but I don't know about the large front cowl element.  I don't have a lathe - I use my drill and little belt sander for all my previous round parts - although they have all been much smaller i.e. spinners. 

I got the wings framed up last night.  I also noticed the kit/plans do not show or call for wing fillets.  These aren't easy, but again are such a strong element in the overall look, I'll probably add them.
alset
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 04:07:50 PM »

The canopy is horrible.  I think I've read that before about Dumas kit canopies.  It's heavy and not at all clear.  I'll make my own plug and vacuum form my own.
My two Dumas kits had a thin sheet on the canopies that had to be peeled off. I thought the same thing about their canopies until I discovered this.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 03:11:26 PM »

I got a start on sheeting the front of the Gee Bee!  It went better than I expected.  I'm using 1/32nd sheet.  I also infilled the fuselage front and gave it a quick sand.  I think it will smooth out nicely.
vtdiy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 07:25:37 PM »

Love the look of this model, bgrove. Still following!
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »

I've added some additional stringers to the fuselage and completed the 1/32 sheeting. 

Next up is looking at the landing gear, struts and wheel pants and deciding how I will proceed.  I like the basic design and how it's attached to the wing, so my modifications will be modest besides carving the wheel pants.

I'm also marking the locations for the support cables and adding attachment points where needed.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 07:02:11 PM »

I've decided to go the easy route and give the plastic parts a try.  The front cowl element turned out great.  The wheel pants are OK, very hard to get them them smooth - just needs more time.  I did use some fiberglass strips inside along the seam as recommended in the instructions. 

I'm still a bit baffled on how I will build the LG strut and mount the pants/wheels etc.    Also, I now see that the LG needs to be installed and the struts/wheel pants assembled in place.  This means covering the wings around them  Sad

Brad
fred
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 10:03:12 PM »

I remember fitting wooden LG wire block.receptacles into mine .
The LG wires insert into drilled holes.
 Result being the LG is instantly removable at will.    Making Covering and Flying attempts..  possible  Wink
fred
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 03:27:02 PM »

Look here Useful info And inspiration ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBIP0uDIvic
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »

Awesome link Fred.  Thanks.  Inspirational indeed and reminds me how much I still can learn and strive for.

I'm planning on using a printed photo of the Wasp motor in the front cowl.  I spun a small prop hub and will paint it greyish.

I'm going to have to break out my new airbrushes I bought last year to paint the plastic parts - I haven't used them yet.  I've thought about covering the plastic parts with tissue, but I would need to prime them a color that will make the yellow tissue match the other areas.  It's thin tissue and looks a different shade of yellow when the white plastic is underneath.  The black elements should be fine.
fred
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 12:26:19 PM »

nice work   Grin
.. here's another link you might like,  although it IS built as a display Z
https://www.facebook.com/groups/356760111806521/
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 05:56:28 PM »

I finally made some progress this weekend.  I'm building the landing gear, fairings and wheel pants as a removable unit until I assemble the plane.  The belly section will ultimately force it to be glued into place, but until then I can work more easily shaping everything up. 

I'm contemplating covering the wheel pants with tissue so they will match the rest of the plane.  Otherwise, I'll have a shinny smooth, slightly off color look.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »

Progress is very slow lately.... that darn 'work' keeps getting in the way  Smiley

I've got the LG fairings shaped up and the chin scope made.  I've also added the bracing wire connection point re-enforcements.

But I stuck on the wheels and wheel pants and how to make it work.  There is no way to get the landing gear wire into the pant and through the center of wheel now  Cry

I'm thinking of putting a cut down the side of the pant so the landing gear can poke out when getting the wire through the wheel.  Then gluing back together.  Or, do I cut off the cross axle completely and use the landing gear just to attach to the pant, then add some interior bracing and a separate axle?

Any ideas or suggestions?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: