Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 19, 2019, 10:23:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Arry Tate ~BUILD  (Read 419 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2019, 05:37:12 AM »

As if I haven't got enough builds on the go .... I'm going to chuck another on the pile.
The trouble is that I have a definite bias towards indoor scale and so I never have anything for the outdoor season.
I hoping for this to fulfill a few options ... the main ones being vintage, RC and FF.
First question .... is it enough just to lock the controls for free flight or does the RC equipment have to be removed for competition  (specifically the receiver)?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 05:43:56 AM »

The R.E.8 plan by D.R. Hughes on Outerzone has been re-drawn in CAD ... hopefully I can speed things up with this. After a quick look, everything seems to be drawn up well.
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:11:57 AM »

Whatever you do don't tell Bill Dennis!!! He seems to have an aversion to this one. You never know you could end up with two of them on the flight line Ahem! Ahem! just free flight though
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »

First question .... is it enough just to lock the controls for free flight or does the RC equipment have to be removed for competition  (specifically the receiver)?

As far as I am aware if it is flying without the controls turned on then it is considered free flight. I've no experience of doing this in a scale competition but in the parallel world of vintage free flight many of the recent Bowden entries are RC assist equipped models that fly with the gear turned off , usually carrying the batteries and receiver for cg reasons. I would have expected the same in FF Scale though I'm sure those more experienced in such things can verify that

Chris

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 08:53:15 AM »

First question .... is it enough just to lock the controls for free flight or does the RC equipment have to be removed for competition  (specifically the receiver)?
No, you don't have to remove the radio - just don't twiddle any sticks in a competition.
I have no aversion to the Hughes RE8. I built one when I was 16 and it flew very well. It just looks very little like an RE8, even at considerable distance. I didn't know this when I was 16 and so wasn't bothered.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 09:04:49 AM »

Thanks all.

Bill,
I've picked on this one mainly because it is a vintage plan ... with the SAM35 RC event in mind, so I will blinker myself and accept it warts and all. Not sure if the event even requires it to be vintage, but I just fancied building something old!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:36:40 AM »

.... when I say warts and all, I might have to do something about the rise forward of the front cockpit .....
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 10:00:55 AM »

.... when I say warts and all, I might have to do something about the rise forward of the front cockpit .....
No, because then you see the nose shape, then you notice the nose plan view, then the rear decking and gun area, then the rudder shape. Then you try building the tailplane flat etc etc. It can't be improved upon, but not in the usual sense of that saying. I wrote about this design in the context of making simple mods to improve the accuracy of Aeromodeller designs for competition. The only sensible approach with this one is to treat it as a nostalgia exercise, green tissue and all, and accept that it looks like it was designed to a description given over a crackly phone line.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 10:29:55 AM »

Ha ha ... I've played Gloria Gaynor's "I will survive" a couple of times. Maybe wipe away the tears and play Elton John's " I'm still standing" and I'll be fit to carry on!
Yes, it was intended to be a nostalgia piece. Maybe I'll skip the flying only FF events in case I'm brought down by small arms fire!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 10:38:42 AM »

Maybe I'll skip the flying only FF events in case I'm brought down by small arms fire!
Why? It's ideal for FO.
My very first diesel scale flight was with this model, but I didn't see it. It took off into thick fog and I heard it circling around me for a while before reappearing to land. We had proper fogs in them days
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »

I'd better get started then!  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 114

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »

Will be good for the AM/MA designs comp too, Russ. Something to give Chris’s Wilga a run for its money, and my Comte. Could be a bumper year!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »

You know me though, Pete ... which year?!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »

Joking aside yes, I had forgotten that I wanted it to be an AM design too ... I wanted to try something as multi purpose as possible. With it being re-drawn in CAD should remove excuses too. Plus I have a bundle of larger strip wood that has been about for years. The AM aspect will stop me tampering with things too.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »

Look forward to seeing it take shape .

When I was a impressionable youth, I remember admiring a Hughes RE8 that was built by another member of my local club with, I think 2 channel but it may have been just rudder only as this was the 1970's and model is not that big. It flew beautifully. He would fill the tank up and lie on his back as it circled to a speck above him and then glide it back to the field.

Sounds great for FO comps as it seems like a design that is very at the flying bit
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »

That's sounds great .... mine will be *!*ctric though!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »

That's sounds great .... mine will be *!*ctric though!

You can still fill it up ... with charge rather than fuel  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: