Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 23, 2019, 10:27:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: McDonnell Doodlebug  (Read 2941 times)
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2019, 09:34:25 PM »

Dan Snow you have a unique, own-design model, that looks great, preserves a bit of history and just seems like it wants to fly right off the table. Definite cool factor, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:55 PM »

Hi Dan - way to go!   Cheesy   That is a cool looking Doodlebug plane, and a fine build to watch.   I hope you get a windless day.   Your pics are good too - they really expand.    Even if you crash it, they can always be repaired.   Looking forward to successful test flights and a pic in the air if you can manage one ...  Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2019, 03:35:57 AM »

Congratulations Dan. I hope you get a windless dry day and that the grass grows long enough for your test flights.
The prop shown seems fairly large - what diameter is it Dan? You might like to try a smaller dia at first to reduce the torque until you know what it is like.

John

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2019, 07:36:30 AM »

Thank You folks! Will do my best to get some pics. Tomorrow looks possible if the fog lifts and thing dry out a lot. Otherwise we have rain coming back in early part of next week.

OZPAF I just grabbed a prop from my stash when I went to take the pictures. The one shown is 7.75", not the one I planned to start with. I have 2 different 7" and a 6"  as shown in Pic. Any suggestions?

One other thing I learned during this build: Spray the clear coat on BEFORE attaching windshields!! DOH!!!!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: McDonnell Doodlebug

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »

Use the 6 inch until you get a handle on the forces involved.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »

Thanks for the advice Flydean1

But now I know the Free Flight Gods hate me!!  Just saw our weather forecast, tomorrow windy, then rain off and on until Saturday!!!!!!

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »

It isn't going to be a floater, all up weight with ballast and motor is 62g.

A couple of test glides onto the bed with about 25 winds and I had the following observations:
First glide was a straight ahead downward arc. I'm thinking not enough speed (with all the struts it's pretty draggy) or nose heavy.

Second glide pushed it a little faster, still downward arc but bending to the right. The rudder hasn't been fixed yet so I might have knocked it a bit.
Don't have enough room to toss it harder.

There isn't much breeze today, but the grass isn't long enough for me to risk the undercarriage yet.  Sad

vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »

Dan, I admire and support your patience!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2019, 07:24:11 PM »

Agree with FD re using the 6" prop first.

John
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2019, 04:30:40 PM »

Remember I said I was embarrassed by the rear windshield on the bug?

Well, I just couldn't stand it no more and whacked the ugly, disgusting thing right off the airplane! It's gone, in the trash, never to be seen again.

Then I decided to try something I'd never done before.  I took a small piece of the pink foam and carved and sanded a plug for the rear windshield front head rest. Then I attached a dowel to it and mounted it upright in a small bench vice.  I took a square of clear plastic about .04" thick and hit it with my heat gun until it was soft and then quick as I could it pulled it down over the plug!!  It took two tries to get it but I ended up with a decently formed piece. I then sliced off a section and glued it into the piece as the front head rest and glued it back on to the plane.

Rather pleased with the rest if I do say so myself,  Grin Grin Grin

Weather gods are finally showing signs of relenting!  A bit of rain in the forecast for the weekend and then several days of sun. Now if just the wind will stay away as well, my I can finally FLY SOMETHING!!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: