Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2019, 05:21:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Does Eighteen Bucks and Change Get You?  (Read 491 times)
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »

Okay, right off the bat, I'm not a big RTF or ARF fan, I like designing and building my own planes, but I just couldn't resist an Ebay offering recently while searching for something else,, of  an "FX-707" hand launch glider, (not R/C) for $18.49, including shipping.

It's 1.2 meter WS, and if  the real thing looked halfway as good as the pic in the ad, it would at least make for a decent chuck glider. And if it was good enough, you know, I could, like maybe, uh.... adapt it to R/C. Or just chop it up and Frankenstein something out of it. Or just give it to my daughter and the dog. You know, just fun, one way or the other.

It arrived today after a couple weeks, in a semi-crushed box, my wife was out luckily and I started to think, uh maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Another impulse purchase folly.

So I opened the box and...........WELL,.......I'm kind of bowled over! It's amazingly nice. Well finished. Parts go together perfectly (all three of them.) in good alignment. It has a shiny smooth finish, doesn't look warped, seems to be made of tough EPP, is ballasted, has what looks like short carbon fiber spars, and it's quite handsome. The lines are clean. It doesn't look cheap or cluttered, and the decals, come separate (luckily) so no need to peel them off!

I lifted it up, and checked the wing stiffness -- I had started thinking DLG....? Well no, not as-is. Far too flexible in the wing, It would definitely need a covering, lower extension of the V-stab, more dihedral, etc, but I'm nevertheless somewhat tempted. Not obviously as a remotely competitive model, but as a nice looking fun flier in nice summer weather, heck yes!

Obviously it probably wouldn't stand a serious highstart, etc. with the current wing construction.

I do think It could make a modest power motorglider fairly simply, though not without marring the nice lines. But, I already have a 36" homebuilt Bradley Termite so making another a motorglider is less of an appeal. Well maybe -- just seems like motorizing it is the easy way out.

No slopes here, so that's out.

And then there's just the likely good fun of throwing it as-is, FF.

Undecided of course tonight. But fun to consider the possibilities. I'm just pleasantly surprised by this thing. Thought you guys might want to take a look. A guilty pleasure, for sure!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
What Does Eighteen Bucks and Change Get You?
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:49:56 PM »

In your shoes I think I'd consider putting a power pod on it-a Cox PeeWee would probably do the business very nicely....and Cox made a nice moulded nylon one-[white in my examples]-I'll see if I can find one somewhere in my boxes and post a photo...takes either a PeeWee or an 049 reed valve (matched mounting holes for either are moulded in. You would have to get a little creative with the mounting-but the pod itself has base rails which bands would sit in nicely to retain it-you would though have to get a bit creative with shims to get the thrust line appropriate....and being a pod-might even require a degree or two of upthrust.
   The beauty of this approach is the model itself is unaltered, so you can fly it as it came out of the box simply by taking the pod off-which other more invasive mods will not allow....

ChrisM
   'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »

Sometimes I surprise even myself-found one in the garage after only a couple of minutes searching.  Anyway here are the promised pics. Now it dawns on me (though I've never done it)-that an enterprising charlie could fit an extra fuel tank inside the hollow fairing and plumb this into the Cox reed valve tank for an extra long run for R/C purposes.....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Re: What Does Eighteen Bucks and Change Get You?
vtdiy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:05:28 PM »

Hey, that's pretty slick Chris!

I used to own a peewee and a golden bee back in the sixties, but now our club flying field is electrics and sailplanes only -- we don't own it. We do have a water site that is okay for fuel, but I haven't flown anything fuel since I got back into modeling about 15 years ago, at least so far. Nevertheless what you're showing could be done with an electric motor.

I was looking at a plastic landing gear retract I have.... kind of wondering if it would be possible to make a retractable motor pod with it.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »

Hey, that's pretty slick Chris!

I used to own a peewee and a golden bee back in the sixties, but now our club flying field is electrics and sailplanes only -- we don't own it. We do have a water site that is okay for fuel, but I haven't flown anything fuel since I got back into modeling about 15 years ago, at least so far. Nevertheless what you're showing could be done with an electric motor.

I was looking at a plastic landing gear retract I have.... kind of wondering if it would be possible to make a retractable motor pod with it.

True-but one of the beauties of what I suggested is the IC pod is self contained-whereas with electric you'd have to find somewhere to stow the battery....though I suppose for a purely FF application you could hide a small lipo pack in the pod. In your case it looks as though you're stuck with electrics given your flying site [though a small diesel might be quiet enough to avoid adverse comment/attention...!]....I cheerfully admit that 020s and 049s while small are still quite noisy-and given the revs they run at (esp 020s) can be quite irritating from a noise nuisance perspective. I think you could do something quite interesting with say a 5g or 7g brushless on a pylon turning say a 5x3 prop, and the pylon pivoted at the base-and retracting back into the fuselage with the prop still exposed on top-that way-powering up and the pylon pulls itself up to the vertical (or whatever angle you've arranged it to be at when propelling the model)-with a bit of care in siting, the prop can sit on the wing-or even the fuselage top in the 'retracted' mode-which ought not ruin the power off performance too much.   This gives you some idea (although smaller than what you have): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhPkCUHrR8

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
vtdiy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:55:03 PM »

Chris, unfortunately, not just a neighbor noise reduction problem, no IC is a stipulation of the flying site landlord.

I think the fixed pod would work with a battery, you'd just have to have the batt in the plane, and run the wires up the supports. Not as neat, but with a connector it would be removable.

I looked at the retracts I have, and they might not be rugged enough. (pic below).

I could though machine something in aluminum, using those as an example. I like the fact that they lock when open, and a servo just connects to the pushrod to actuate.
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »

Have you been reading the LIDL Supermarket Chuck Glider thread on RCG?

Conceptually very similar.

Regards-
Dave
vtdiy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 02:11:20 PM »

Nope, Dosco. Sounds like they had fun.

I'll stick here with this one, and explore as we go. Still leaning towards DLG, which is my main gliding interest.

I may have to make a new wing if I can't get the present one stiff enough. Not a big deal. I built a Mimi from scratch, and did my own paper covered foam wing for that.

In fact, I could do a Mimi-style wing with planform adjustments to fit this particular model pretty easily. I guess my favorite part of this glider is the fuselage. I really like the way it looks. It's reminiscent of a full size sailplane, unlike most DLGs. I like real airplanes, and I'm always looking for that in a model. No pilot could fit in a competition style DLG if enlarged full size.

So, to me, the wing and tail can be changed without much pain if necessary, although I'm curious to see what could be salvaged.

(My Mimi DLG with paper covered foam wing below)

lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »

Suggest putting in a throwing hole or peg and using as javelin launch or as a sloper. Much less work to convert that way.

What's the airfoil like?
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »

P.S. To answer the original question, a fancy cup of coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: