Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 26, 2021, 12:14:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mini-Pip P-30 (Pipstrelle)  (Read 683 times)
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 32

United States United States

Topic starter
nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2019, 08:30:13 AM »

I've always wanted to try a tailless rubber ship so I took the G.Woolls "Pipstrelle" and reduced it down to 30" span. It's funny building something like this because you keep thinking you are missing a piece. In any case it was a quick build and I enjoyed putting it together and it came out at 38 grams. One interesting idea I used was Peter Michels idea of using a polyhedral style wing and cutting out a 30 degree wedge from the middle and then joining it again. I simply drew it like that and went ahead with it. It gives you automatic washout in the tips. I tried it a couple of years ago and it worked like a charm...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mini-Pip P-30 (Pipstrelle)
Mini-Pip P-30 (Pipstrelle)
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »

Different,  Dave!  Look forward with interest to seeing it in the air.

What's next week's project ??   Grin
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »

so many choices...
1. full size "Simon" Wakefield
2. Ray Malmstrom's twin called "Athene"
3. a new wing for my A1 (built-up instead of Jedelsky)
4. 1/2 size version of KK Contestor (I'm not sure if it is a 'wake)
5. an Ebenezer for my Millish .030 diesel I just bought (Phinn)
....so you see the problem I have plus the fact I've got 4 new models I haven't even tested yet...
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »

Contestor is a Wakefield

An entrant  (Doyle?) was once disqualified from the British team trials because he had not personally made the wheels of  his Contestor.  They were tough on the Builder of the Model rule back then.
randoloid
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 05:14:48 PM »

Very cool bird.  Please follow up with a report on how it flies.  Photos or video even more appreciated.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 06:43:01 PM »

I've got at least 5 new models to test so I'll let you know as I go along...that thing about the wheels is so funny...next we will have to grow the balsa but don't get me wrong..............BOM is the only way I'll fly and if I get beat by someone flying a Ukranian or Russian model made of carbon whatnot - who [email protected]#$*+G cares?...why don't we just let those mfr. fly against one another...FAI 1A,B & C needs to get the  rest of us in the fold and not just those with $$$...sorry, I get cared away sometimes....I just love to fly the stuff I build...
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »

Amen
Red Buzzard
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 07:34:40 PM »

Hi Sky,

I love the wing and find your wash-out solution intriguing. Is the plan available and did you have to do any scaling to fit it into 30"? Nice job and really one of the solutions to lightness as well as minimal drag. I've done three wings and my only comment is be ready to trim the rudder down if it leans over and does a bunch of sideways "loops". Also the CG is VERY sensitive. Patience.

Bill
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »

It was a straight scale down on my copier and then I used my architech (sic) scale to draw it up on 18" x 36" sheet. I haven't been making copies of my stuff lately because I get too excited and just start to build. I should have taken more time and tapered the airfoils more but seeing that there wasn't much wood in it anyway, I just charged ahead. The wing idea came from Peter Michel's article in FMD&C Vol.5, No.1 for his design called "Easy-T" but the layout is pure "Pipstrelle".
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 07:21:14 AM »

That is neat.

Am looking forward to some in-flight shots and/or vids.

-Dave
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:08:15 AM »

Yep...this weather is killing me right now...last time we flew was mid-Dec. and for our area (N.E. Ohio) that is pretty good and as soon as I get a so-so day, I'll drag it out there along with some bungee gliders which are a HOOT to fly...our cut off temp is 45 degrees and 5-10mph...this keeps 'em in the polo field and out of the river/woods...I've got a CHAD-20 I want to fly also that just looks right and better than my other 20" span flyer, a High-Performance Sportster...I will try some in-flight shots when I can....
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 09:28:26 AM »

I found the CHAD to be the better flyer of the two -you'll like it !
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Mini-Pip P-30 (Pipstrelle)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: