Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 06:27:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC Spitfire Night Fighter  (Read 2246 times)
Ex Member

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »

Andrew - did you try spraying EzeDope?

A.

Yes I did.  The 5% solution to shrink and prep the tissue was fine (this makes tissue with even a poor wet strength ok with it), but the 30% solution collected in pools and looked awful  Undecided

A soft brush or those very soft sponge type brushes you see for kids in most stationers work well.

Most of my trials centred around good results achieved by Scigs, and his recommendations.  I just tried a few other variations and different types of tissue (including the stuff VMC put in their kits) and satisfied myself that it could be done....

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »

I like Ezedope, but am glad Andrew and others sorted out the ratios and method before I tried it. Its main advantages for me are...
1. The tissue doesn’t go baggy when humid (like banana oil)
2. The tissue doesn’t go very transparent on tissue finishes (like ordinary dope)
3. The shrinkage maybe isn’t quite as violent as with ordinary shrinking dope, so less warp prone

Sorry- didn’t t mean to deviate from the thread topic too much. Spitfire’s looking great!
avrovulcan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »

You might just be ready or the Howard Boys Lysander? 

I'd love to build the Howard Boys Lysander. Their unusual design fascinates me. But I think my husband will have a fit with the 50" wingspan! I have had a look at the other Lysander plans there and I think I might do one of them.

I have finished my Spitfire and I am really pleased with the results. I made the fillet piece that goes under the nose from scraps of balsa, instead of using the paper template and I think it came out quite well.

She is balanced, but I wasn't sure how to get the weight into the nose as there is only the small square hole to get anything into and then you have to be careful not to obstruct the rubber band motor. Luckily I have several spare lead strips used to weight down plants in my aquarium, so I folded them up and put blu-tac around, making sure the combination was enough to balance the aircraft, then the blue-tac would stick them into the nose area and have it laying flat so there was room for the rubber band. It seems to have worked. Just hope it doesn't dislodge if there are any 'heavy' landings!

Now I just need a calm day to run some test flights and get her trimmed. Can't wait.  Tongue
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VMC Spitfire Night Fighter
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2019, 12:06:38 PM »

Hi Avro.   Your night fighter Spit looks LETHAL !    It really looks the part.   Very nice job.   Good luck with the trimming.  It looks like you have some decent grass ...   Very nice pics too.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »

Great looking model Avro Vulcan, very nice job.

Good luck with the trimming (the fun bit)

Chris
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »

Very nicely done indeed! Looks really slick. Makes me want to have a go at this kit too.
Looking forward to the flight reports.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2019, 05:27:35 PM »

It really looks the part - a neat effort Avro.

Enjoy the trimming.

John
Ex Member

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2019, 05:37:52 AM »

Nicely done...  Grin

Andrew
avrovulcan
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2019, 06:07:14 AM »

Thanks all, for your comments. She does look rather good in the pics!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »

Flippin ‘eck!  I like that.  The business, what?  Rubber band?  That is so factious!  Frivolous comments are not allowed!

avrovulcan
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2019, 02:55:00 PM »

Flippin ‘eck!  I like that.  The business, what?  Rubber band?  That is so factious!  Frivolous comments are not allowed!

Thank you!
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »

It really looks nice. It is hard to do that with a black colour scheme, but you accomplished it! Both thumbs up!
ian
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: