Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 24, 2019, 06:02:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My First try at an A-6  (Read 1781 times)
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »

Well here are a few pics from my recently completed A-6. Have not gotten a chance to fly it yet, aside from letting it go in my living room for a couple of seconds, she flies real slow, and seems steady.

Couple of pics showing building, and then completed model. Nothing groundbreaking here... it's too darn light, ho ho.

Heavy for an A-6 though, she weighs near 2.5 grams, so over 100% toooo heavy, but I am not too disappointed for my first try.

Don't really have indoor wood to speak of,so I just make do with what I have.

G.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
My First try at an A-6
My First try at an A-6
My First try at an A-6
My First try at an A-6
My First try at an A-6

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 91

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:13:35 PM »

Looks fine to me. It's very hard to get an A-6 below 2 g without light balsa and condenser paper. I tried many times using extremely light wood, and the lightest tissue covered A-6 I ever built was 1.3 g. I think my last C-papered one was .9 before ballasting, so you can see what a difference the covering makes. Like I said, wood is critical, too. Prop can't be more than 6 lb density, rest of the plane the same way, preferably more like 4 lb. I've got a little bit of sub 4 lb wood that is reserved solely for A-6 wing and stab spars. It's poor quality wood, but it's light, and strength isn't an issue on an A-6 except for the tailboom and prop spar.

By the way, with that low AR wing, you should be able to make it fly in your living room without too much trouble. At that weight, it should be plenty slow.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:41:38 PM »

I use 4# wood for everything in an A6 except the motorstick. Like Joshua says, strength isn't an issue for the wing and stab spars so you don't have to have GREAT 4# wood. Condenser paper is a must. Gampi is the next closest thing that has a chance of working.
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:08:03 AM »

Yes I must get some lighter covering, in the new year Ill make a purchase of some much needed supplies, and some condenser paper is on the list, as is some indoor wood, just a sampler pack from IMS along those lines,I have some contest wood, but the 1/32" sheets they sent me are just garbage, this is Great Hobbies in Canada here, rest of the wood was acceptable, to me, but the 1/32" is a disappointment. Live and learn I guess.

I am enjoying this foray into learning about indoor, new building techniques and ways of thinking of the 'plane'. Very refreshing.

I have made inquiries with the local school board, I have some connections, and with a bit of luck Ill secure a gym for a night or two. There's no way they will turn off the HVAC systems tho, so Ill just have to make do.

Thanks for the words of advice Josh, your advice is always solid, and I almost always learn something from it... lol.

Take care,
-G.

PS: as to the weight, I just assumed that most got their A-6's down to the minimum, but then I do recal Josh saying it was very hard to get them there, so maybe shes not the lead sled I assumed it was.

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: