Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 19, 2019, 10:58:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Compressor not starting  (Read 784 times)
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »

Rob
Its a Yank 110v motor/vac pump and I have a 240v down to 110v transformer for it which checks out ok and runs a small 110v compressor fine.

I have unsoldered - alright cut one end off the wire to the capacitor.
On a "decent" multi meter with the ohms set to lowest setting and tone, it gives a rising reading to about 1800 in about a second.
On 200mv setting (lowest) it discharges so fast I can't read the numbers going down to 0L.
What does that tell us?

John M
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 07:32:32 AM »

110v explains the 120VAC, though the safety margin is a bit smaller than you would expect on a UK system, that's yanks for you! BUT since it is a 60Hz motor the capacitor will not be giving you the same phase shift, which is what it's there for. I would not have thought it was that critical, but I guess if it's already on the 'slow' limit the change in frequency might push it over the edge. Has this pump ever run on 50Hz?
Without a known good one to compare, you test does seem OK, though you could rerun the tests and measure the voltage on the 10v range.
Just had another thought, the start capacitor opeerates through its own coil through a centrifugal switch. You could check the contiuity of that lot by measuring what the capacitor was connected to, and leave it disconnected as it would confuse things no end.

PS See my sig line!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Compressor not starting

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: