Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2019, 04:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: KeilKraft Lysander  (Read 4250 times)
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »

Well,  here she is looking more and more like the Darth Vader of Kit Scale.  More progress over the weekend included tail feathers covered and stuck on, cowling (card covered in Esaki) and the U/C,  or at least half of it. Modified the U/C a little bit as you can see in the pictures to give better springing and hopefully preserve the U/C / fuselage joint.

The other news is that his week Gwyn (Avetek) is cutting me a set of ribs for the Howard Boys 50" version - this year's contender for the Reg Jude trophy at the NSW Free Flight Society meet in Richmond later this year
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: KeilKraft Lysander
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »

That looks great, even unfinished. I have quite a soft spot for the Lysander and I'd be most interested in the finished weight, if you could perhaps drop it onto a set of scales. I assume that the tail surfaces are all 6 lb/cu ft or lighter?

Andy
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »

We did drop it on a set of micro scales last night and it's currently 10g exactly as you see it there.  Tail feathers are 4lb stock.
Ex Member

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 02:57:39 PM »

That is very nice indeed!  Grin

And light too! Shocked

Andrew
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »

A 10g Lysander is gonna be a thrill to watch in the air!   Darth Vader is a good description too!

The Threadkiller!
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 04:37:31 PM »

I wish!  we still have the other U/C leg, wheels, glazing, struts, exhaust collector/ cowl thingie, a few stickers and a prop assembly.  We can probably get out of this for around 15g and hopefully we don't need too much ballast to ruin a good story!

By the way, does anyone know of any examples of the Howard Boys 50" design actually having been built and flown?
bjrn
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 05:49:01 PM »

The book, “Scale Model Aircraft that Fly” by Harold Towner and Howard Boys has several photographs of the Lysander. The book is available in the books section of the plan gallery. (Parts 4 and 5)
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2019, 09:11:50 PM »

Looks great. Very sinister. "Aero Noir"

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 03:00:08 AM »

By the way, does anyone know of any examples of the Howard Boys 50" design actually having been built and flown?
I don't recall one, Mike but there have been some of the diesel conversion, flying well. I gather there are some draughting errors eg different spans of each wing panel
Bill
abl
Gold Member

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 03:10:19 AM »

I don't recall one, Mike but there have been some of the diesel conversion, flying well. I gather there are some draughting errors eg different spans of each wing panel
Bill

The Spring 1971 edition of "Aeromodeller Plans Handbook 1" does state <ahem> "Many hundreds of this design have been built and successfully flown. ..."
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2019, 03:25:12 AM »

Having built a fair few of the APS plans that were described as 'much loved', 'certain to fly', or other such epithets I have come to regard those statements as aspirational.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 03:29:29 AM »

Bill

The Spring 1971 edition of "Aeromodeller Plans Handbook 1" does state <ahem> "Many hundreds of this design have been built and successfully flown. ..."

Ha! That probably means the number of plans sold in 19?? when it was published,  unfolded and then put away to turn brown over the next 50 years
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 12:17:45 PM »

Over the weekend I managed to get a little bit done which included installing the undercarriage (made a jig to set this up accurately) and moulding a canopy.  The design calls for 3 pieces of celluloid.  This is a bit of a pain and also quite heavy.  By vac forming it I was able to block the form off the platten so that the plastic got a real good stretch and came out very thin and light.

If anyone else is building a KK Lysander I'd be happy to shoot you over a canopy for it FOC and as usual subject only to seeing actual proof of build!

Covering this in coloured Esaki has been quite satisfying.  I've been quite inspired by Mike Kelly's superb compound curve covering efforts on other threads so I was particularly pleased with how the curvy wheel spats turned out.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »

... and in other news, I got my wing and tail feather ribs cut for the 50" version over the weekend.  The wee ply patches are reinforcements for the back ends of the ribs - these will be trimmed and tapered to avoid the dreaded stress risers!

I've also ordered the Haynes  Lysander Workshop Manual,  which features the Shuttleworth Lizzie,  so this project is now a go!

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »

Go Mike!  Grin
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2019, 02:23:33 PM »

Beautiful work Mike.
kkphantom
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 12:02:29 AM »

...so that's where all the nice quarter grain has gone!
Gary
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »

Mike, in July 2018 SAM35 Speaks, someone reports that his Boys Lysander 'tip stalls violently each way and washout has no effect' and the geared prop delivers inadequate power.  I don't understand because we've all seen Lysanders flying well, but there you go. Perhaps it's wind whistling through those holy ribs.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »

Pitch speed possibly not high enough versus stall speed if geared for a larger prop? ... or just plain inadequate power as you say if geared for a smaller, faster turning one.
I've had this problem with geared electric RC models.
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 12:20:49 PM »

Never got as far as flying my Boys Lizzie, was put off by the fact it was such a big lump to be made from 1/16 square and 1/64 sheet!!!! especially with my clumsy 10 left thumbs. The undercarriage seemed a bit rigid to my inexpert eye so enthusiasm waned rapidly. Not sure but it might be up in the loft, that's if it survived 7(!) house moves, maybe have a look soon.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2019, 01:39:16 PM »

Thanks guys.

It certainly needs to be a feather. 

As far as power goes I think the gearbox is unnecessary these days with what we know about braided motors and the properties of the far superior rubber we use.  Long soft motors are the go.  There are plenty of big rubber models out there including all the vintage Wakes and Open Rubber models I've played with so the size doesn't faze me.

Drag, short coupled-ness and small-ish tailplane are a bigger concern.  That said,  we've all seen them fly really well. 

I've always found that if you build light enough you can get away with all kinds of things so that's my strategy!

ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2019, 01:54:18 PM »

...and back to the little one again.  Stuck some paper lines on the canopy and some transfers I had in the scrap box from old plastic kits.  Cowl ring is just balsa  - currently stuck on with double sided tape for the shot.  Struts are made and covered so time to get this assembled and flying.  It's Kit Scale so I'm not putting any particular effort into detailing -  just looking forward to proving the nay-sayers wrong!!
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2019, 03:16:46 PM »

Wonderfull!!!!!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »

Looks very nice Mike, canopy lining sets it off well

Chris
abl
Gold Member

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »

That looks really good. Makes me want to build another one (after about 43-44 years!).

A.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: