Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 13, 2020, 08:35:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: KeilKraft Lysander  (Read 4605 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »

You are so rude John........ Shocked Wink.  No the plan weighs much more with all the glue and bits of balsa stuck to it and the tape to join it together.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 103

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »

Really nice Mike, and congratulations on the flights.

Mike
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »

If memory serves, that was with a carved three-blade balsa propeller, which might have made a difference to the power requirement. Or it might not, I'm just speculating.

(just had a thought - would the Aeromodeller rendition of the Keelbild plan be legal for Kit Scale?)

Andy

I just had a look at the plan on Outerzone.  Actually a much more accurate model than the KeilKraft version and at 19" a true 1/32 scale.  It also has a lot of detail drawn on the plan.  According to the blurb it's an accurate reproduction of the original Keelbuild plan, so under our Kit Scale rules this would be completely eligible.  

From the pictures it looks as though Doug's model turned quite hard to the left even with a tab on one wing and a huge tab on the tail.  Something sounds a bit off there.  Possibly that nuggety punchy motor

By the way I made a plug for the canopy so vac formed items are available gratis to genuine builds if anyone wants one.  So much easier than the 3 sheets of celluloid lark.   Just PM me if that's you.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:40:15 PM by ZK-AUD » Logged
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »

The Lysander was a really interesting aircraft, especially in the looks department.  What's especially fascinating is comparing it to, say a Beaver or an Otter:

Westland Lysander      DHC-3 Otter
Accomodation      211
Wing Span50'55'
Horsepower~850600

I realize they were not built for the same purpose but they are the same general configuration yet quite different.  Initially I was thinking that a Lysander was larger than, say a Cessna 172 but smaller than a Stinson Reliant Gullwing but now I'd have to say it's much larger than either.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2019, 04:48:01 PM »

I know that ZK-AUD has form for turning out masterpieces, but this... well.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2019, 04:18:49 AM »

I took some video tonight, which can be seen on the Avetek Ltd Facebook page.  This was quite a short flight.  The following flight I started videoing but had to abandon and start running after it.  I got a flyaway and lost it!  Eventually found it several paddocks over behind some trees but the video was no good.  I'm just on my phone at present but perhaps the first person to find the video on the Avetek FB page can post the link
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2019, 04:34:19 AM »

You must be the first person on Earth to lose a KK Lysander!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2019, 04:51:38 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/Aveteknz/videos/2025298417778772/
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2019, 05:01:51 AM »

Even those Dodos at the end look amazed.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2019, 05:13:32 AM »

Bill,
      Those are Pukeko and not the brightest of birds. They often become road casualties.
Ricky
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2019, 05:40:55 AM »

" I got a flyaway and lost it!  "

Now that  is really showing off!!!!
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 103

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2019, 10:33:51 AM »

Looks really nice in the air - glad you got it back!

Mike
Work In Progress
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »

I realize they were not built for the same purpose but they are the same general configuration yet quite different.  Initially I was thinking that a Lysander was larger than, say a Cessna 172 but smaller than a Stinson Reliant Gullwing but now I'd have to say it's much larger than either.

Well, quite. The Lysander is not and never was intended as a light aeroplane or any sort of proposition for the civilian market. It was a purpose-designed warplane with the same engine as the leading fighters and bombers of its day. It's in a completely different design category to anything evr intended for civilian use.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »

Yes..... the Lysander was begat as a result of a specification issued by the Air Ministry in 1934 and fisrt flew in 1936 so was pretty way behind the Otter in very many ways, as the latter could benefit (by 1951) from the intense development as a result of the War.  It seems it was Petters habit to discuss with the potential pilots what they felt was needed and this inevitably conflicted with the desk bound folk in the Ministry.  It seems to have done the job  and was held in some regard by pilots.   A massive beast. But it carried as well as the "Agent" his or her luggage plus on a number of occasions "supplies" for the "resistance. 

As an aside at the time women were not covered by the Geneva Convention so as agents they really did draw the short straw.  Some had led what one might describe as sheltered lives before joining up.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »

Dodos!  That had me cracking up.  Sorta David Attenborough meets Carl Pilkington!!  In fact those Pukeko (imagine your moorhen but on too many steroids) were looking very interested in the Lysander and I had to hustle over there before it became prey.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »

Looks great in the air Mike, a nice realistic flyer
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »

I think this thread is about complete as the Lysander is now 100% finished and has done everything asked of her - Great day flying yesterday at Karaka.  Lovely high stable flights with a landing on the wheels every time.

Final job yesterday was to make a custom carrying case.  Well impressed with this little model

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: KeilKraft Lysander
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2019, 03:23:14 PM »

I think this thread is about complete  
Not quite. I cut all my bits out yesterday and began, and here I am. What a lot of bits, but at least they were't on 22lb wood. Following Mike's tips, I've built in washout and ditched the wire uc, which is now lengths of carbon rod to fit the legs.
The thought of doing this when I was 10 is ridiculous.
Not sure how to finish this as I know I can't do a neat tissue only job and would prefer painted camouflage - we'll see
Bill

PS I'm doing enclosed spats. I know this would be penalised in KS but luckily, I don't care! There will be a short carbon rod cross axle
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2019, 04:32:05 PM »

Bill here's the sprung leg modification  Just sits in a groove in the wheel well
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2019, 04:42:49 PM »

Clever - I might pinch that
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2019, 11:38:37 AM »

PS I'm doing enclosed spats. I know this would be penalised in KS but luckily, I don't care! There will be a short carbon rod cross axle

That's the Spirit!  Smiley

You could always throw caution properly to the wind and do built-up tail surfaces, which might then make a painted finish more practical...

A.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2019, 12:57:37 PM »

You do all realise that I'm making notes of all these Kit Scale deviations to plan and will pass them to the KS judges on the day don't you! Wink

John M
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »

You do all realise that I'm making notes of all these Kit Scale deviations to plan and will pass them to the KS judges on the day don't you! Wink

John M
You don't know the half of it John. Is it possible to have a negative score?
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »

John, you can only pass knowledge of deviations on to the judges if that's in the Rule Book - if it isn't then you can't!   Grin
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »

Nah John - go forvit and bang ‘em up.  Otherwise it will end up like the international scale comps. Anything goes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: