Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 28, 2021, 01:36:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wainfan Cyrano II question  (Read 498 times)
Shackas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »

Hi all,
I’m building my second Wainfan “Cyrano II” (tail-less P30) and have a question …
The full size plan clearly shows a non-tapered trailing edge (1/4” x 1/8” rectangular section).
Is there anyone having experience with the design that can comment on whether this is indeed correct, or is possibly an error in the drawing (i.e. it should be a tapered section).
Cheers, Dave
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »

i just pulled out my plans and saw the same as you - full sized 1/8 x 1/4 TE.

I also found no mention of the TE in the article description other than the thoughts behind the reflex airfoil.

*not* having built the plane and looking at the strength (or lack of rib structure and miniscule spars) i'd
would build the TE full size to help retain what ever  strength of the wing may have.

good luck on your build, it looks like relatively quick build with an eye out for warping.

john s.
Shackas
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:09:09 PM »

Thanks John.
Will go full size per your advice.
Will also build #2 over the building board shown below, having learned from the experience of building washin into the right tip panel of #1 (because I didn't use a board)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Wainfan Cyrano II question
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:04:33 PM »

I built one, but it flew away at least two decades ago, so I do not remember anything useful. There was no DT, nor obvious easy way to add one.

Fred Rash
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 02:06:02 AM »

The article had a photo of a version with a sort of DT paddle. It was hinged back near the prop. Normally it would be on top of and concentric with the fuselage, but the front end came up wnen deployed.

Wainfan's Swallow P-30, a swept flying wing, had the wing detach for DT, with a line keeping the wing and fuselage together. It needed a rubber band to pull the fuse off the wing so it wouldn't just continue to sit on top of the wing. Or, at least, that's what I remember.
bwainfan
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 12:47:41 PM »

Barnaby Wainfan here..

The original Cyrano II does indeed have a 1/8 x 1/4 trailing edge as shown in the plans. (I still have the original nats-winning model. I checked the actual vehicle to make sure before replying)
Shackas
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 02:16:19 PM »

Barnaby Wainfan here..

What a wonderful surprise! Thanks Barnaby.
RandyW
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 05:31:28 AM »

I built a full size Cyrano II and wore it out. I now fly a 3/4 size version which flies just like the old one but is better suited to today's smaller flying sites. A fond memory was the joggers and walkers at the old flying site stopping to watch the model in flight. there is something magic about Cyrano as is cruises silently overhead with the morning sun shining through the tissue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: