Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 25, 2019, 01:46:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: E nostalgia ?  (Read 292 times)
enyaws
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2019, 10:10:45 PM »

What is the status of E Nostalgia ?  I read in the NFFS rules that it is a provisional event but I don't see any chatter about the event as I do for the provisional E 20 event.  Am I looking on the wrong forums?  Is this event pretty much scoffed at by the nostalgia gas flyers?  If I read correctly,  classes 1/2A thru C go by wing area rather than engine displacement.  I presume that if a fellow wanted to fly this at a contest he would fly the same engine run times and max times as the power ships.  Probably not enough interest to warrent a seperate E event.  I assume that at the present time  power generated by internal combustion is still greater than electric when comparing engine/fuel weight to motor/battery weight.  I prefer much larger planes than what are being flown in the popular E36 event.  Any nostalgia designs recomended that are lighter structurally due to a less ridgid wing requirement ?  Lucky Lindy and Top Bannas seem to be available in many sizes.  Many thanks for the forum and any replies to my Question.  enyaws aka Wayne Smith
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »

According to the NFFS Rule Book for 2019-2020, Page 1 ( https://freeflight.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/NFFS-Competition-Rules-2019_2020-Release-1.pdf ) :

"2. E Nostalgia - Section 12 having been a provisional for the minimum of 4 years and having
received enthusiastic reception E NOS has been upgraded to an "Official" event. This change was
approved by both the NFFS BOD and the Competition Committee."

So, now this is an official event. I'm wondering (hoping) that it will be offered at the US 2019 Nats. If it is, I'm planning on flying my Pimenoff #18 in 'A'
And, yes, I read it the same way - same motor runs as for the Gas Nostalgia event

Another interesting thing is the addition of an Electric Provision in the Golden Age 1/2A Event (page 17-18 of the same document. I am planning on flying either my Starduster 350 or my Hydrostar in that event.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
enyaws
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 10:45:52 AM »

Many thanks for pointing that out Starduster : Here in Oregon our contest season is delayed until late summer and fall.  That should give me plenty of time to get nos. ship built.  After flying gas for a few years I'm drawn to the cleaner/easier simplicity of electric.  Admittedly it does not come with the same thrill of the smell and sound of a glow engine.  Being able to get your engine started and plane aloft when a thermal comes along is admittedly easier with electric. Hard to part with old glow engines just yet.

Ralph B
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »

Here are a few photos of my 1/2A E-Nostalgia Jetco Streak that I just completed. It was built from the BMJR glow powered kit. I plan to fly it at the Nats this summer.

Ralph B
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: E nostalgia ?
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 11:14:15 AM »

Just checked the 2019 Nats schedule. The two provisional electric Nostalgia events are listed on the page with entry form for unofficial events. (This is a different page than the one for the official events.)

1/2A E Nos is on Tuesday, ABC E Nos is on Friday. The provisional events are onsite registration only.

Louis
enyaws
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 02:00:48 PM »

Thanks for that tid-bit.  The participation level will be interesting, Wayne
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »

Just checked the rules on electric Nostalgia. Classes are by wing area, not span: 1/2A up to 250 (so build a Ram Rod or a Battle Axe), A is 251 to 500 (check out the British  FAI power models from that period), B is 501 t0 650 and C is 651 to 1000. 

Louis

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: