Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2019, 05:01:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Chieftain" by Berkeley Models  (Read 2113 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 04:31:32 PM »

Some more progress today, some highs, and a low. But hey that's model aeronautics, right? Smiley

So here's today's tale: 

Pic #1 - I knew the instant I saw the parts patterns for this bird that former T10 was going to be a literal P.I.A. (Pain In Keester) and I was correct.  I tried, I tried really, really hard to make it work out of
            the noted 3/32" balsa. But alas, everytime I so much as looked at the little sucker a piece would break off. (And yes, that is a US Dime for size comparison!)  So after the second breakage, I
            said to hell with it, laminated a piece of 1/32" ply to some 1/16" balsa and went at it with the scroll saw.  This time it stayed in one piece!

Pic #2 - The obligatory bare bones shot

Pic #3 - The low for the day. Someday, perhaps, I might actually remember to Measure the bits on the plans to make sure they all fit together!  Sure I will, and someday I'll win the lottery too, without
             ever buying a ticket. Smiley I went back, after the fact, and measured both the stab and the fuselage, and both were made to the plan.  It's just that the stab slot is about 5/16" shorter than the
             corresponding width of the stab!!   Arrghh!!  Oh well, a little minor surgery, a couple of gussets and I can move the tail feathers forward to where they belong.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: "Chieftain" by Berkeley Models

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 11:28:14 AM »

Todays offerings for your viewing entertainment:

Pic #1 - This is the amount I had to remove from the leading edge of the stab to get the tail feathers where they are supposed to be per the plans.

Pic #2 - While I was at it I epoxied the main gear in place. There is a gusset on each side that ties the LG plates to the bottom longeron and the T2 uprights. Will add later.

Pic #3 - The tail feathers in their correct location. This was a relatively minor glitch, easily remedied. But makes me wonder if there are other gotchas I haven't found yet?

Pic #4 - Progress to this point.

Next up, the wings.  Still trying to decide how to approach the construction as the plans aren't real clear, showing a simple butt joint of the LE, spars and TE to the center section rib!  I'm leaning towards adding another rib at that joint making it a 1/16" and 1/32" rib instead of the single 3/32". that and a 3/8" x 1/16" gusset at LE and TE should lock everything together.  Plus it gives me the opportunity to angle the ribs to get the 3" dihedral at each tip as shown on the plans. Thoughts?

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 12:52:08 AM »

Dan looking at the plan shown on Outerzone, my interpretation is that the wing dihedral joint is flush with the fuselage side ie the outboard R1 rib. The section through the fuselage is flat and the R1 ribs at each end need to be vertical and under the fuselage sheeted section to get a good join.I would suggest another R1 rib in the outer panel, so that the ribs at the dihedral joint are doubled - both in say 1/16(1/8 total).
Add gussets between the ribs and spar on both panels. Angle the R1 in the outer panel to match the vertical R1 in the centre panel.
Also I would build the centre section as a single piece and not separate sections joined at the middle.
Join the outer panels to a single centre section.
Anyway my 2c worth.
Happy building.
John
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 06:35:54 AM »

Well, once again not measuring on the plan and studying it more closely has bitten me right in the butt!

Pic #1 and #2 show the problem.  There are no straight sections, so the fuselage is 1/8" wider at the wing leading edge than at the trailing edge. Doh!  My first thought was to build a new center section with the R1 ribs angled out at the leading edge to match the fuselage sides. But then I realized it would sweep the wings back and that can't be good.  So I think I may just add a 1/16" rib between the center section and the wing root to bring it out flush at the leading edge.

I'm also a little concerned about being able to feed the wing through the fuselage. At 3" dihedral the angle between the center section and the wing is about 13 degrees. I think it might be a good idea to tack the two together and try it before I get everything covered and assembled.

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 12:13:03 PM »

Dan, you may not like this but at this point it looks like you are going for a butt joint anyway. If the pass through area is in any way suspect or sketchy in anyway, then...  Scrap the center section and its weight, fill in the airfoil shape in R1, then when ready do a contact cement style double gluing and cement those wings on hard and fast...just my 2 cents, Great looking model. I love those Cheiftain lines!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 03:59:49 PM »

...just my 2 cents,

that's at an all time low..... and trading is heavy!   OH BTW I think I was talking about F1 anyway.... Roll Eyes   Oh and BTW I have never seen OZPAF lead anyone down the murky trail either, so take heed! Australian money is worth more these days, I think! Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 02:46:12 AM »

It doesn't seem to buy me more Crabby Smiley Smiley Smiley

That is probably a better solution at this point

John
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 06:23:26 AM »

I tacked the center section to the wing panel I have built and discovered that with careful wriggling I CAN insert the wing into the fuselage!  That was the good news yesterday. On the other hand, my first attempt at making the nose block was a dismal failure.Cheesy  I don't know where my head was but I should have stopped before I started. First I made the block exact size instead of oversize to allow wiggle room. Then I pasted one of the patterns on backwards, so I peeled it off, made a new one, and pasted that one on backwards! I finally got them on right and cut the block out.  After several minutes of sanding the uber hard balsa laminations I looked at it and had to admit that it was going to look awful no matter how hard I worked on it.

So, I picked out some softer balsa, laminated up the blocks and today's plan is the build the right wing panel and shape the nose block 2.0 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 04:55:57 PM »

Right wing panel built, nose block roughed in.

Pic #1 - First unofficial weigh in the see where I'm at.  Personally, for a 26" span model I am not unhappy with 20g for the complete, unsanded structure.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 08:01:54 PM »

Pic #1 - The Obligatory Bare Bones Assembly Photo!

This has been a fun build, no where near as challenging or frustrating as the Hemiptere was. Sure, it had a couple of glitches but the construction was pretty straight forward and didn't require a lot of cogitating to figure out.

I've been thinking off color schemes but can't decide if I want to go retro or not.  Also need to decide if I what try and plunge mold a canopy or make it in two pieces.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2019, 09:06:18 PM »

Not a lot of progress over the last couple of days.  Did some sanding and added a couple gussets when I popped a joint loose manhandling it.

Pic #1 - Started shaping a plug to make the canopy.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2019, 09:44:41 PM »

Trying to mold a canopy for the Chieftain? Dismal failure.  I have no idea it it was too much/too little heat, wrong plastic, to much time between heating and molding, What ever combination of issues, after 4 attempts I called it quits, and made templates for a two piece canopy.

Live and  learn  Grin Grin Grin

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2019, 07:52:58 AM »

Ugh, what a week!  We started the process of getting ready to sell my mothers house.   The house is over two hours away so we are grateful to have found a realtor and estate salesperson that can handle the heavy lifting.

But while doing that I did get some airplane stuff done. I built a "sucker box" to try doing some small part vacuum forming. I have the box built, now need to build an assortment of frames to hold the plastic, purchase a hot plate, and make a base to keep things stable.

And........ did a tiny bit on the Chieftain! I decided at least part of the color scheme around the cockpit will be green, so dyed the balsa green and made an instrument panel for it.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »

This is why I sometimes get distracted from model building.

Pic #1  On occasion our Children's Museum asks me to make wooden toys or buildings for their big 5-8 year old play table.  One of the more popular is a jet airplane, this batch of 6 brings the total to about 2 dozen that i have made.  The buildings are take apart to teach motor skills and problem solving.   It's fun and puts a little money in the modelling fund.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 07:21:36 PM »

Interesting distraction Dan. The Museum sounds like a neat idea - hands on education for kids.

John
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »

The Chieftain project is on hold for a bit, due to a flareup of plantar fasciitis and some other life issues.  Hope to get back to it soon.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2019, 10:58:46 AM »

Found a couple of hours to work on the Chieftain so started the covering. I'm using this model as a test bed for trying new ( to me ) ways of adding color and design to the model.

Pic #1 - For the bottom of the stab I used individual pieces for the alternating colors. I like the result, but it is tedious, and every seam is a possible failure point. But it looks cool! Smiley

Pic #2 - For the top I used colored sharpies to draw on the design. Nice bright colors, easy to do. But no matter how quick you are drawing the edges there is a little bit of bleeding along the edge. I haven't tried shrinking the tissue yet so don't know if the liquid from the ink will affect how it shrinks.

For the fuselage I was just seeing how well I could make a clean edge between colors. So I did the bottom in light yellow, the sides in blue and the top in green.  The seam between the blue and green was SO Bad I had a choice; strip and recover or hide the seam. I took the easy way out and added the red stripe to hide the botched seam.

No ideas on what to usse on the wing.  I might be obnoxious enough to use something that horribly clashes with the rest of the plane.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »

Helloooo Dan!  That fan tissue color scheme on your Chieftan is very bright and colorful.   It looks really sharp.  I have never tried it but have always wanted to.   I'm interested to see how it shrinks, as I still have to shrink my Osprey glider tissue, and my color pens are water soluble ...  are your Sharpie pens water soluble?   I really had to stretch and tape out my tissue really flat, in order to color it up with marker pens ... without too much ink running ...
     Anyways, glad to see you're back posting your Chieftan.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »

Hi Richard! 
The Sharpies are permanent ink, so not sure how they'll affect shrinking. I just dampened the stab and blocked and pinned it, will let you know how it does.  Since the ink goes right through the tissue, I put a sheet of regular paper under the tissue to absorb the excess ink and keep it from smudging all over the underside of the tissue.

MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 73

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2019, 02:26:37 PM »

Dan,

That looks very cool and colorful.  Keep in mind that Sharpies will bleed and run when exposed to dope - I made a mess of my Citabria stab when I doped over the Sharpie control surface outlines.  Not sure about Krylon.  Recommend testing some marked-up tissue with your preferred sealant before covering the model.

Mike
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »

I was thinking about that Mike.  I have made some sample swatches and after giving them some time to dry I will hit them with a couple of different clears to see what happens.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »

Just hit my test swatch with two quick coats of Minwax gloss clear spray lacquer. So far no reaction at all. No bleeding, no bubbling, nada, zip, zilch zero.  Looking good. I'll try another with Krylon as that is easier to find and less than half the cost of the minwax.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2019, 08:05:21 PM »

Boy that's colourful Dan. you won't lose it in the workshop after you've covered it.

John
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »

LOL!! Thanks John, I appreciate it!

Pic #1 - Sorta top view of the fuselage with the tailfeathers in place, but not glued yet.

Pic #2 - Bottom view. What look like wrinkles in the stab are the rays on the top surface showing through.

The wing is still bare bones naked. I guess I'll need to figure out a patterb for it this week.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »

The Chieftain is Covered!!  Woo-Hoo!!

Pic #1 - Top view. The rays on wing and stab are hand drawn with Sharpies.

Pic #2 - Bottom View, The squares are all individual pieces.

Nothing is glued yet, just assembled for the photos.  I want to put my AMA number on the bottom of the wing, just not sure how yet.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: