Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2019, 02:05:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Chieftain" by Berkeley Models  (Read 2241 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 11:06:41 AM »

Pic #1 - The wing and stab have been measured and glued in place.

Pic #2 - Working out the best way to align the rudder vertically and longitudinally! Smiley

Once I have the rudder aligned and attached I'll start on making the plug for the canopy. (Which will inspire me to get something workable for holding/heating the plastic on the vacuum box!)
After that, I want to check the CG with motor and prop before deciding whether to make the wheels out of foam, balsa or plastic. I I need noseweight, might as well use the wheels for it.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: "Chieftain" by Berkeley Models

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »

Made up a logo!  Grin

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 08:01:32 PM »

Nifty and simple alignment jig for the fin. That's an angry looking chief! Smiley

John
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2019, 09:32:28 AM »

Hey Richard!!  Got my order from Volare Products so here is my first attempt at using a Crockett Hook on a rubber motor.  Is this how it's supposed to be done?

Pic #1 - Attaching the hook to the motor.

Pic #2 - Assembled and lubed motor.

This motor is 4 strands of 3/32 Tan Rubber to turn a 7" prop. I realize that's probably a very light motor for this size plane, but I'm not looking for duration.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:11:03 AM by Dan Snow » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »

Hi Dan.  Glad to see you are back.   I don't know if I am the expert, but your Crocket Hook attachment looks fine  to me  - other guys use very small rubber bands to tie the rubber motor end to the Crocket Hook -  I just use little pieces of string.
    Now, the attachment to the rear peg.  Do you have a pushing stick, with the "fingers" on the end, made up yet?   I keep the rear loop, of the motor, separated,  by tying little pieces of string on each of the two strands  (see pics below)  -  that way, it is wide enough to fit over the fingers of the pushing stick.
      But I now see that you have the rear motor tied down and firmly attached, to a sleeve tube, that your rear motor peg must slide through.    I have never tried that yet.   I am interested to see how you position that sleeve tube steadily, in order to slide the rear peg through.
     You getting any flying weather in California? 

Pic # 1726    Pic # 1785

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

PS  Dan - how much lube did you use on that motor?   Shocked   I now just use very little - just a smear with my finger tips ...    Smiley

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »

That's an angry looking chief! Smiley
John
That Indian is from Cleveland.... he's angry alright!

The Threadkiller!
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »

Richard, I have a push stick similar to yours in which the notches hold the aluminum bobbin as it's pushed into the fuselage. So far I've had no issues with it.

Weather still sucks. We are just coming out of a two week period where if it wasn't raining the ground was saturated and covered in puddles, or the winds were above 10mph. Forecast is calling for a dry  period for the next 10-12 days so hopefully I can get out. This coming weekend will be first in many where we don't have to go to my moms re" selling her house.

I just gave the motor a quick spritz of lube, worked it in and then wiped it down. What you're seeing is just the over spray.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2019, 12:28:05 PM »

Contrary to rumor, I have not fallen off the planet,..... yet!  Spent a good portion of the last few days ordering and installing a flagpole. About three weeks ago I walked out of the garage one morning and discovered that some low life had tried burning the American Flag we have mounted above our garage door. Unfortunately it hung low enough that the bottom corner could be reached from the ground. Thankfully the material was flame retardant and self extinguished before doing more than melting about 1" of the corner.

Anyway that project is finished, some other sale of Moms house stuff, is behind us so I was able to do a little work on the Chieftain, i.e. making a new plug for the canopy.  I discovered that making a plug from purple foam and then hitting said plug with hot plastic and a vacuum had less than desirable results! Plus not using the correct thermoforming plastic didn't help. The result was a partially formed opaque canopy and a squashed and deformed plug!!

This time I cut out the front, middle and aft canopy formers, assembled them as they would be on the fuselage, and then some 1/32" planking.

PIc #1- The assembled, spackled and not yet sanded plug.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2019, 03:37:07 PM »

When you use the right materials and equipment, the results are much more acceptable!

Pic #1 - Yahoo!!  It actually sucked down around the plug like it was supposed to!!
NOTE TO SELF: Make sure you get ALL the dust and debris off of the plug before molding. Not doing so results in interesting texture! Smiley

Pic #2 - Canopy after removal from plug and first trim to rough size.

Pic #3 - Canopy after final trim. This is the part I have so much trouble with, getting it glued on without messing it up.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2019, 07:58:26 PM »

Nice going Dan. Check Zk Aud's builds - he uses canopy glue but it's technique which makes it easier. He tapes the canopy down with small tabs of tape, glues in between them by allowing the glue to wick in by capillary action from a small brush.

John
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2019, 10:14:00 PM »

Good am Dan,
did you get an impression (on the other side of the canopy) of the white label that seems to be stuck to the plug? Sometimes I will add the canopy frame to the plug with thin masking tape before I vacu-form and it makes a nice impression that adds dimension as well...

The Threadkiller!
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2019, 08:08:08 AM »

No label impression Crabby, I had sanded it smooth. My oops was sanding the balsa plug with 220 and then forgetting to take a tack cloth to it. That and the softness of the 1/32" balsa sheeting gave a bit of roughness to the inside.  My original foam plug did have a recess where the center bulkhead frame is but I didn't make one for the balsa plug.

OZPAF, a search for Zk Aud didn't turn up anything.  What is this canopy glue you speak of?

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »

Dan - try this link and also check out some of the other builds by Mike Mulholland aka ZK-AUD

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22322.msg212674;topicseen#msg212674

John
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »

Okay, I'm going to call this project as complete!!  Well, okay, complete once the order of canopy glue arrives and I can permanently mount the canopy.

Berkeley Models Chieftain:
Low Wing Sport Rubber Powered Model
26" Wingspan
Flying Weight: 48 grams (Including motor of 4 strands of 3/32 Tan Rubber)Also includes 7 grams of nose weight for balance.
Balance Point: Currently balanced approximately 3/32" behind spar.

So far only a couple test glides, each with about 50 hand winds,  Results were very flat glide with a slight right hand turn. I think this is going to be a good flyer.  It was almost as challenging a build as the Doodlebug in spite of having already drawn plans.

I learned that sharpies are great for coloring tissue.  I learned how to make and successfully use a vacuum forming box, and I started learning to use a magnetic building board.

Not bad for one project.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 08:06:57 PM »

Nice effort Dan.

John
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »

Thanks OZPAF, I appreciate it.

I've modified the nose to install a Gizmo Geezer 7" prop assembly. Had to remove almost 1/2" off the nose block, but also was able to remove over 3 grams of nose weight!

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2019, 07:40:32 PM »

If anyone was wondering, I finally got the Chieftain in the air. Was only 3 short trim flights before the wind picked up, But I was pleased with how it flew for the short time it was in the air/

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »

Well now you will be ready for a windless day!

John
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: