Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 31, 2020, 03:05:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Graham White GWE-6 Bantam for CO2 power  (Read 632 times)
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 41

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »

As a winter project for 2018 I fancied having a go at one of these.

Its an aircraft made by the Graham White factory at Hendon intended to appeal to the new private aircraft market after the end of WW1. Designed in 1919 the factory only built 3. The design is attractive but forward visibility was limited and the prototype was destroyed a few months later after it taxied into a hanger !!! It's very small at just 20' span and looks a bit like a squashed Sopwith Camel but to my eye it looks like a possible flyer as a FF model. My aim is build one for GM300 CO2 power so something around 1/12 scale may work if built lightly .

Luckily there are some pics available and even some 3 view drawings from Flight in 1919. Even better Walt Mooney did a peanut version plan so that could be useful. I'm hoping its Camel like qualities mean it could be trimmed in a similar manner and as there have been some very successful examples recently I thought it worth a go.

Unfortunately there were two types made , one with cabane struts and one with the top wing mounted on the top of the fuselage. The photos and peanut plan are of the one I want to build , the 3 view plan is from its sister aircraft with the wing mounted on the fuselage. Still scale doc points aside it's a hansome aircraft in the pics

Intention is for outdoor scale but if its light enough and I'm brave enough, it might work indoors  Embarrassed

If anyone has anymore info or has tried it before with good or bad result I'd be interested to hear
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Graham White GWE-6 Bantam for CO2 power
Graham White GWE-6 Bantam for CO2 power
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »

I would guess at 1/12 being a bit small for a GM300! I'd go for 24"-26" span.

Nice subject, though!

Dan.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 03:06:17 PM »

Thanks Dan. I'm bit unsure on size but was wondering about using a bigger engine at lower throttle to give a more reliable engine run .  Looking at your Piper at the Nats you seem to have that nailed. Is that a GM300 ?
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:38:18 AM »

It is a GM300 in the Cub. I like running a big motor at nowhere near full power, but it's a fine line between getting it right or ending up with a model that's heavily loaded and very nose heavy...

Good luck!

Dan.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 10:57:19 AM »

I seem to remember Peter Smart doing the Mooney peanut in the past few years and having severe difficulty getting it to go...........

Pretty plane though, in a purposeful sort of way.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 05:23:21 PM »

Thanks Graham, I was sure someone must have tried. I’ll do a bit more research before I commit to this one
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 05:46:27 PM »

I’ll do a bit more research before I commit to this one

The olde adage "bigger is better" comes to mind Wink

Nice to see you posting your builds on here.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 02:11:12 AM »

Thanks Monz. It's a nice site to be part of  Smiley
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 03:03:49 PM »

Ok an update on the GWE Bantam project.

It's now 2020 and Pete Fardell has started an excellent Walt Mooney Cook Up so this project has now shrunk to a 15" span model for Telco power as both an indoor and calm day outdoor model.

As have some decent docs and Walt Mooney has done a peanut plan for the model it was a simple matter of scaling that up by 115% to give me a better size for the Telco and making the decision to build that instead of building a bigger one to my own design

Most of build will be in the Walt Mooney Cook Up thread but I'll update this every now and again as well

The plan is to tissue cover with some new tissue I have been recommended as a replacement for the now discontinued Esaki tissue. This tissue is cheap - 60 sheets for £10 including postage and is said to have good wet strength. Weight per sq/m is reported about the same or slightly less than Esaki but Iv'e not had a chance to check this myself. It looks like Esaki with a matt and shiny side too.

It's made for the Carnival market for making masks etc where wet strength is probably to stop it disintegrating in the rain.

It's only available in white but that's good for me as I plan to airbrush colour onto the Bantam. Parts are Yellow ...my favourite colour Undecided. The other use for the tissue, covering over Mylar is for outdoor models they will also be painted so hopefully this stuff will prove useful. Checkout http://www.carnivalpapers.com/wet-strength-tissue-paper.html if you are interested. They list coloured papers too but by all accounts these have zero wet strength

I'll let you know how I get on with it
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Graham White GWE-6 Bantam for CO2 power
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: