Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2019, 05:02:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vintage Comet Super Stars P51 Mustang Build  (Read 453 times)
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2019, 11:32:26 PM »

Well I have been busy with work so building has taken a back burner until this week. I also had time to fly some of my Guillows planes last two days, may post those pictures later. Anyway since I am having fun with these old out of the box builds, why not a fancy Comet kit. Oh I remember these old planes back in the day but knew they were out of my league. I did see some built hanging in hobby stores, so I have always wanted to build them. Of course I would never build them because they fly great, but I do think some of the Super Star kits could fly built out of the box.....with the cardboard tube. I did build the Super Stars Stuka, but that is too heavy to really fly, trust me I did some test flights but I built that kit because I just liked it. These Super Star kits have the unique cardboard tube and crossed ribs in the wing for strength and prevent warps. The directions are typical of Comet, not much to them when compared to Guillows. The wood is partially die cut and I had to cut the parts out to get them free. This was Comets way of preventing die crunching the balsa and a small instruction slip in the box states this. Like other Comet kits, this one came with the super heavy wood wheels and a long piece of 1/8 grey rubber. The wood is old but the build went together pretty quick once I had the parts removed. As with all Comet kits, there were some slight fit issues, but that is to be expected. I do like laser cut kits, but nothing brings me back to my youth of building than these old challenging kits. I even had a old tube of Testors fast drying cement I used, gotta love the smell of Testors and dope in the morning. The only modification I made was the landing gear is removable, there is no way this plane would last a landing with the 14 gram landing gear. When I was a kid building old Comet, Sterling and Guillows kits, I would always wind them up and fly ROG. I was just happy if the plane got off the ground. The model as shown without landing gear is 38 grams. Will start covering with supplied tissue tomorrow and use the supplied decals.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Vintage Comet Super Stars P51 Mustang Build
steveneill
FAC Squadron Ventura Model Aviators
Silver Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 11:47:17 AM »

Beautiful job and the cardboard tube makes a nice blast shield. I see a lot of people doing this lately. They come in handy in a blow out. The blast shield removed fro flight doesn't always guarantee that a blow out won't happen during flight.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 02:40:18 AM »

Nice work Scigs. You would never know there were problems with fits looking at those nice straight stringers.

John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »

scigs how's the weight and the balance treating u ? i never liked the design

jim Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Grin
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 08:25:49 PM »

After adding weight to the nose she balances out pretty nice and test flights are promising. Here are some pictures of me covering her with the old supplied tissue, covering wet.
Re: Vintage Comet Super Stars P51 Mustang Build
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 08:28:29 PM »

I glued on the supplied paper decals and the origami canopy, I had to keep it original otherwise I would have made a vacu formed canopy.  As shown balanced for flight she weighs 60 grams, the landing gear is removable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: