Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 07:42:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comte AC-4 'Gentleman'. Gary Mayes plan.  (Read 3389 times)
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 32

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »

Nice work Pete.
  I'm bit of a fan of Halfords rattle cans, the coverage is huge compared to an airbrush, making it so much quicker too but with that comes a huge increase in overspray ( just thinking of your dining room table). I think the can, can will work well with a light coat. I have to say though, once I grasped the nettle and used an airbrush the standard of finish of my models has improved so I now see an airbrush finish as superior

Chris
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2019, 06:20:59 PM »

Pete,
       Coming along very very well, and the use of cane struts should give you some resiliance in the event of an arrival. The tissue covering looks good and the dope should take any wrinkles out. Was there any reason for using red dope for finishing? How is the weight at the moment? 
Is that a 9" prop you are using?
  Ricky
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2019, 01:58:03 AM »

Thanks Chris; point noted about the overspray potential if I use the rattle-can. I won’t apply it on the table then (maybe on our nice pale front-room carpet where we’ve got more space?)

Ricky, reason to use the red dope was just that I already had it and, in my limited experience, coloured dope sprays very easily. Still not quite decided. Prop looks quite small on that photo but is actually an 11 inch. Much bigger than that and it wouldn’t ROG (not that it needs to but I like to think it could). It’s a silver sprayed blue plastic job from SAMs which, Kevin Wallace pointed out at Old Warden, is of rather low pitch. He then sold me a spare, plus a white one of higher pitch but similar size. Hopefully one of the two will do the job.
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2019, 03:39:37 AM »

Pete,
       Sounds a good solution at minimal expense and dope does spray well and also drys quickly. The prop diameter should be OK the low pitch may help in the trimming with good acceleration but may compromise duration that should not be an issue as it is flight realism that matters. I have just made a balso prop for the Aerographics Widgeon that is definitely lower pitch than the plastic kit one. I will let you know the how they behave.
Right now the nose of the Auste ris being rebuilt.
Ricky
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »

Thanks Chris and Ricky.
I’ve sprayed it all red now, using red dope thinned 50/50. It’s okay now, although initially I elected to use the rattle can acrylic. Disaster- it made the covering go all baggy. Not sure why as I’d tested it on an old wing and it was fine. Maybe it’s because the old wing has non-shrinking dope, or possibly Ezedope on it, rather than shrinking dope like this one. Fortunately I only sprayed the tail parts so I only had those to strip and recover. No red Esaki left either so just used white with the result that they are redder than the rest because the rather pinkish red Esaki doesn’t show through. Not to worry. Windows glazed this morning.
 Framing next, then lettering, then done!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Comte AC-4 'Gentleman'. Gary Mayes plan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2019, 03:26:17 PM »

Lettering...
In a brave moment I sent off for some of the Signmask that Dave recommended on Chris’s Tomtit thread. It’s arrived but I’ve chickened out and am cutting the letters from white-sprayed tissue. My plan is to affix them with glue stick before overspraying with clear varnish to hold ‘em firm.

One thing I neglected to do was actually enter this in the FF nats AM designs contest before the deadline last week. I think it was the way it’s come so soon after the indoor scale nats that maybe caught me out. Or possibly just general gormlessness. Not a disaster as I can still enter on the day, but with a fairly hefty surcharge. It’ll be worth it if it flies!

(Same story for the other scale events: kit scale and Sunday’s Credgington. Oh well, I may have to sell a kidney or something but I’ll still be there!)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2019, 04:15:52 PM »

Mike Smith's just told me he's had word from above that my on field entry fee will be £11 per class, not £15 as feared. I think that's now the same as if I'd paid in advance this year, so I got a bit lucky there. Not exactly cheap, but I might be hanging onto both kidneys after all...
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »

You can keep your kidneys, we've come for your liver! ....

Good luck in getting finished for next week ... not sure if I will be able to make it.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2019, 04:28:33 PM »

Looking grand Pete  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »

Thanks chaps! Finished it today, so here are a few photos. If I get the chance I'll try and get it at least glide trimmed before the weekend.
Weight (w/o rubber) is 161g which doesn't sound too bad for a 38" span model, although this size is really new territory for me. Wing area is about 219 sq inches. It balances at around 45% chord so will need some weight up front.
Would've been a bit quicker but I had to redo the wing letters as the ones I'd carefully cut out were too small (even though I'd already enlarged the ones drawn on the plan which are much too small).

I'm pleased with the way it looks. How much rubber do we reckon it might need?
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »

That's really nice! 

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2019, 06:45:22 PM »

Pete,
       The model has come up really well and the weight is very reasonable. Rubber weight of about 15 to 20 % should work well. Don Spray uses 8 strands of 3/16 about 1.5 hook to peg distance for the Puss Moth of 36" and 8 strands 1/4" for the Bellanca. his props are 8" and 9" respectively. Clearly ready for the coming weekend.
Ricky
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »

Lovely stuff Pete - I frequently daydream about converting various power models to lightweight rubber versions.  Must have a go.

danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2019, 07:39:48 PM »

Extremely nice, Pete!

Cheers,

Dan.
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2019, 08:22:49 PM »

Cracking model Pete Grin.
Hope the weekend goes well.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2019, 02:00:18 AM »

That's a lovely looking model Pete. The red dope finish looks fantastic
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2019, 02:57:13 AM »

Lovely model, Pete  Smiley
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2019, 03:17:45 AM »

It looks great Pete - I want one.
It also looks to me like a model that will need more downthrust than you might anticipate.
The grass at Barkston is quite long at the moment. Let's hope they leave it alone for a week.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2019, 06:52:48 AM »

Lovely stuff Pete - I frequently daydream about converting various power models to lightweight rubber versions.  Must have a go.
It can work well Mike - plenty of subjects with reasonable nose lengths. I've done it twice. Eric Coates' Jungmann has been highly successful and I turned the McHard SE5a into a rubber model and then back to a very light power model! Storch, Stosser. BA Swallow.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2019, 06:22:56 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments. The wind dropped an hour before sunset this evening so I nipped down to the field. Glide tests were a bit hurried, but the 20g I'd added to the nose looked like too much, and 0g gave a slight stall. So I tried 9g which looked okayish. Not much time left for powered attempts, and I certainly didn't want to risk losing it, so I only wound on a few turns and got these short flights. Pleased to see that it climbs away on only 260 turns. Motor is 12 strands of 1/8 about 1.5 x hook to peg. Thanks Ricky for giving me a rough idea.
Anyway, here 'tis...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlihPrDkTms&feature=youtu.be
Bit more nose weight?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:40:08 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »

Pete,
       You are right. a tad more nose weight I think wopuld help. Interesting that the right turn under power was more definite with the higher turns but still going left on the glide but it still looks safe. Best of luck tomorrow.
Ricky
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »

There is a tendency to cure all stalls with nose weight when a slight pitch adjustment would solve the problem.  I would be interested in knowing the location of the CG, and the angle of the wing and stabilizer.

The present force setup looks extremely close.  Avoid Demon Lead wherever possible.
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 87

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2019, 10:15:05 AM »

I agree with  Dean in that you wanna be careful about
using  nose weight to fix what may be a decalage issue.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2019, 12:23:55 PM »

In fact that's how pilots fly full scale airplanes. Once the cg is what it is, pitch control is adjusted for flight. There is a cg "envelope" that total moment/weight (cg of acft relative to a datum) must fall within; adding/reducing power and changes in decalage become the 2 variables controlled in flight by the pilot. Our task as modelers is to optimize cg position first ("in the envelope") , then make elevator trim adjustments and thrustline settings our flying adjustments. That's why the tail volume calculation is so valuable; it is another perspective on the cg envelope factor. If the stab is too small, or too close to the wing, there may not be enough elevator authority for pitch control, once the cg is set. So if you set a reasonable cg location using the tail volume calculation (which factors in the airplane's geometry) ,decalage (elev setting) is all "we" should be adjusting.  In summary, what ironmike and flydean said!

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »

I couldn't resist posting this pic of the Comte getting away on another nice flight today at the Nationals. It looks very good in the air, with a very nice sit in the cruise phase.

I have some video of it too which I'll post in Nats video later.

Great model Pete
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: