Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2019, 02:42:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking for alternative to Easy Built Models Magna Board  (Read 1498 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »

While you are thinking about magnetic building boards you might want to consider working vertical. No clutter, no back and neck pain, uses less space, easier on the eyes. I built mine a few years back and I love it.

The Threadkiller!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 01:42:50 PM »

While you are thinking about magnetic building boards you might want to consider working vertical. No clutter, no back and neck pain, uses less space, easier on the eyes. I built mine a few years back and I love it.
But doesn't everything end up on the floor?!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 07:50:18 PM »

If that's the way you roll..... Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »

Here's the mag board I put together.  Thin steel and a trimmed cutting mat glued to 3/4" MDF using spraymount adhesive, with a routed knife holder dividing the two.  I put clear craft transfer tape with 1" grid markings over the steel - this is incredibly useful when jigging up models for mounting wings, tails etc.  The transfer tape comes in a roll, you can peel it up and replace it any time it gets ratty. 

I can rotate the board on top my desk to suit the activity I'm doing.  Usually when building I have the cutting side facing me, I'll flip it around when jigging or as seen here when clamping parts down while covering.  The knife holder keeps me from stabbing myself while rummaging around the workbench, and has also proven very handy for corralling toothpicks, q-tips, small sections of wire and tubing and some of the small parts that always seemed to disappear when randomly placed on the workbench.

The knife holder and edge of the board also make a very nice 90 degree miterbox for sanding part ends square.

One thing to think about for those who prefer not to mount their metal plate - if you're using fairly thin steel the plate will bend when you pick it up.  This can be bad if you pick up the plate while your model is magneted to the board...

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Looking for alternative to Easy Built Models Magna Board
John Webster
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

The sun illuminates the structure.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 03:25:06 AM »

Dropping an unbacked metal plate could be hazardous to your toes.

A pilot starts out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 04:19:39 PM »

Of course dropping a backed board on one's toes is no day at beach either! Smiley  Though you would likely just break a toe rather than trying to cut it off!!

Made my first fuselage on a magnetic building board, and I'm very pleased with the results!!!  No Banana!  It was a little awkward at times, but I took the unusual, for me, tack of slowing down and taking my time, constantly measuring as I went.

Pic #1  The fuselage sides joined and ready for top and bottom formers.

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement to make and use one of these beasties, I might even try it for the wings next!! Smiley Smiley

I guess I've made myself persona non grata at Easy Built. I sent them a couple of emails asking about shipping charges on other products and received no reply. Oh well, I wasn't trying to tick them off, I was just stunned by the shipping cost.  Guess I will have to look elsewhere for a couple of kits they were offering.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 06:41:01 PM »

Shipping costs are the price you pay for buying stuff online. Vendors pay it so they pass it on.... nobody's in the game to lose money.

The Threadkiller!
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 06:46:34 PM »

I'm not against them making money, and having had a home business I have dealt with shipping costs myself. Bigger companies could charge less for shipping than I could because they did much larger volume. It just surprised me is all.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »

While on the subject I have a question for those used to building with magnetic boards.

How do you keep the magnets under control when they're not in use?  I've already gotten a couple small blood blisters from having a finger tip in the way when the little buggers snap together, and worse, noticed some chipping of the corners/edges from them slapping together.  And that doesn't count the many times a scalpel, metal ruler, or some straight pins have zipped off to a corner of the bench because I had inadvertently gotten them too close to a stack of magnets!

FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2019, 04:17:45 PM »

I store my magnets when not in use by putting them in a metal holder that is where my printer cartridges come from. Also you can use a wooden cigar box if you have one.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2019, 04:56:17 PM »

Dan,

I mounted a magnetic 2'x3' whiteboard on the wall behind my building board.  I put the magnets on it when not in use, as well as keeping copies of plans and documentation for whatever I'm building and lists of things to do.  I also put some magnetic tape along the top of the whiteboard and keep my small metal squares, rulers, and other small metal tools there.

The building board and whiteboard are empty only because I finished my latest build yesterday and have spent the morning cleaning up in anticipation of the next project...

Mike
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 04:59:38 PM »

Dan, I have learned to keep the un-used mag-troops way off to the perimeters of my build area....now I must admit my magnetic building board is really big and it hangs on the wall at about a 15 degree angle. I can keep my magnets really far off. Other than that, you gotta use your God-given problem-solving skills! Guys are always telling me that a vertical building board is gonna result in stuff falling on the floor, well, I can only say it works if you work it!

BTW unlike MKelly, I am rarely done with a build, and when I am, I have a triage unit waiting for the scalpel, which is why his build area looks rather pristine compared to mine!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:13:10 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2019, 07:30:44 PM »

Good suggestions guys, thanks.  What I come up with will need to be at least semi portable as my building table is also my woodworking bench and I occasionally will need to clear the plane stuff off.

peanut
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 10:32:17 AM »

Dan sorry to miss your original message but I have had to be away for a year or so. I use a sheet of steel like you but mine is a permanent fixture 48 inch by 24 inch. Despite the size of my board I build mainly peanut or pistachio models. I use small rare earth magnets, cube shape, which I buy from Ebay.  They range in size from 1mm to 6mm. I clamp the balsa where I want it by straddling the strip with magnets the same size as the balsa thickness I am using.  Where I can't get access I use a small thin strip of plastic cut from a butter container as a finger and hold it down with a small cube magnet. Sometimes I have to use these fingers to avoid magnetic attraction between adjacent cubes. I use small plastic set squares with these cube magnets on each side of the set square to keep structures vertical.

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 05:39:01 AM »

You seem to be using very powerful magnets?  I have a few strong ones for holding things together for example whilst glue is setting but use them rarely.  Others are rather a light pull and cause no issues.  Sufficient to hold he timber in place.   It in the case of holding it in a curve I don’t think I have used anything thicker than one eighth square.
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 05:26:14 PM »

Today I found at a larger craft store (Hobby Lobby) a magnetic white board in a sturdy aluminum frame for under $10.  The working area is about 16" X 22", plenty of space for smaller model construction.  There was a larger version, as well, though I can't say what the dimensions are of that one.
Knightflyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 03:38:39 PM »

Today I found at a larger craft store (Hobby Lobby) a magnetic white board in a sturdy aluminum frame for under $10.  The working area is about 16" X 22", plenty of space for smaller model construction.  There was a larger version, as well, though I can't say what the dimensions are of that one.
I'd been thinking about doing the same thing! I don't really plan to build much bigger than dime scale, as I don't have a place for large models. I've been eyeing these tiny 3mm x 10mm magnets on eBay. I'm thinking they might be excellent pin replacements for these small models.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2019, 07:50:14 PM »

You can always use an extra large cookie sheet, if you are gonna build smallish stuff.

The Threadkiller!
Knightflyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 12:16:20 AM »

You can always use an extra large cookie sheet, if you are gonna build smallish stuff.
I'm pretty sure these Walmart stockers are beginning to wonder if I'm daft, as I check the cookie sheets to see if they're straight...
Measuring actual size at the bottom, it's a quarter inch shorter both height and width. But I'm thinking I can trim that much.
Great suggestion Crabby!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:59:20 AM by Knightflyer » Logged
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 03:11:12 AM »

These days, rare earth magnets are cheap. You could drill a few holes in a board and glue in strong magnets to hold the steel sheet on. Or, with a smooth, varnished, or painted board, you could use foam double sided tape. It wouldn't have to be very thick. 3M's VHB line would be excellent, but is probably overkill.

Another idea is to put steel sheet on both sides of an acoustic tile or foam sheet. The tile or foam wouldn't be stiff enough to create problems.

Do you guys really use rare earth magnets on your building boards? I should think you'd need pliers to get them off.
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2019, 10:39:47 PM »

I'd been thinking about doing the same thing! I don't really plan to build much bigger than dime scale, as I don't have a place for large models. I've been eyeing these tiny 3mm x 10mm magnets on eBay. I'm thinking they might be excellent pin replacements for these small models.

For smaller models, these magnetic white boards work great!  And you can write on them with dry erase markers.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: