Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 23, 2019, 11:14:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Idea: Hybrid Rockets  (Read 392 times)
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2019, 04:46:42 PM »

I don't know if anything like this has been discussed before here or elsewhere but it seems to me that you could create a simple hybrid rocket for free flight by using existing CO2 hardware.  The typical light-for-flight CO2 tank would attached or contained with the model except in this case the tank will be filled with N2O.  The typical filler nozzle would be retained as would the typical C02 filling gear.  Instead of CO2 cartidges, you would get food-grade N20 "Whippets" used for whipping Cream.  A small jetex motor such as a Jetex 50 would be modified to accept the copper feed tube from the flight tank and soldered in place.  A small variable valve would regulate the N2O flow (any source for a suitable valve?).

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Idea: Hybrid Rockets
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 07:04:03 PM »

I'm unfamiliar with this concept. Does the N2O serve as an oxidant for the carbon pellet? Does this autoignite? Does someone somewhere show a balanced equation for the reaction? Interesting...

Fred Rash
strat-o
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 09:32:36 PM »

It's just a start of an idea I thought of today.  I looked around and noticed that there was a mention of the idea of a Hybrid Jetex to allow for throttling for RC.   This was mentioned here: http://archivesite.jetex.org/archive/jetxfiles/200412.shtml  The author suggested using N2O from cartridges for whipping cream as well.

I think the solution, in order to be foolproof, should have an electronic igniter and a solenoid valve so that when you press a button, the solenoid valve opens the nitrous flow and then an igniter starts it.  Maybe even a built-in timer so that the engine can then be shut off in a predictable manner.

Also Second thoughts on soldering the N2O feed tube to the Jetex motor! 

One engineering challenge would be to figure out a way to allow you to easily open the motor to reload the carbon fuel into the chamber.  Maybe the solution is to have the whole nozzle section unscrew.  I wonder why the original Jetex never did that?

Marlin
dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »

I'll suggest something, a bit off-topic, that would be neat. I doubt the manufacturer would want to go through the trouble of making teeny production runs for hobbyists, though.

There is such a propellant that will only work when an electric field is applied. Otherwise, it's inert. Also, the rate of combustion can be varied by altering the electric field.

Thus, a device could be built that applies only enough juice to result in combustion that is something Jetex-like.

Mailing the pellets shouldn't be a problem, since the stuff is inert.

Also, it makes non-toxic combustion products (exhaust), which is a nice benefit.

For more insight, watch the video on the manufacturer's website here: https://dssptech.com/propellants-explosives

-Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: