Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2019, 06:06:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: suggestions for a model  (Read 461 times)
whiskers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:58:41 AM »

I've just picked up (on a sudden whim, silly boy!) a DC 0.75cc Merlin diesel.

I was thinking of a bit of free flight but then had the idea of trying a bit of vintage radio assist. Are there any suggestions for suitable candidates (and sizes of subject) for this motor. Bearing in mind I like slow and 'floaty' sort of models. I also like classic vintage lines with nice curves and not too boxy. I quite like the Tomboy even though it's a bit boxy in parts but would like something a bit different. I've seen quite a few Tomboys over the years, which obviously says something for them!

In 1900-and-frozen-to-death, I had a Diamond Deamon as a free flighter and it was just the bees knees for me. Great style and a lovely slow flyer - it had a ratty un-identified 1-1.5cc (never really knew) diesel in it that ran really slow cos it was just about worn out! I fondly remember the long, trundling take offs and then her settling into that lovely gentle, turning climb followed by the peaceful float down. Would another 'DD' be too much for the DC 0.75cc Merlin with light 2 channel?
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »

Not into R/C but surely a Vic Smeed Mamselle would fit the bill!  Maybe enlarge it slightly, mine used about half the power of its .75 Mills. A sure flyer.
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 03:53:45 AM »

Thanks for that dputt7. The Mamselle looks pretty good for me. Definitely one to consider. I was thinking about the KK Ladybird but that looks a bit too complex for it's own good!
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:09:07 PM »

I've drooled over this in the past, and hey look! The plans call out a Mills 0.75!

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4543

Converting it to RC assist would be a challenge -- the spot to divide the horizontal surface into stab and elevator is obvious, but this thing is going to fly SLOW, and that demands a lot of rudder -- which is going to be hard to come by given how the vertical and horizontal surfaces go together.  I think I'd hinge the top half of the vertical surface at the middle vertical, with enough up-kick in the back to clear the elevator when it's at 45 degrees up.  You could cheat the vertical surface a bit taller to make up for what you take away to clear the elevator.
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 05:10:43 AM »

Weird Tim...but I kinda like it!! Slow is good.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 05:03:52 PM »

There are some RC designs with classic lines. The design requirements are slightly different. For one thing, it's probably good to have more damping in yaw, which means a bigger vertical stab.

I have to admit I haven't flown them, but there have been various sizes of the Super 60. Also the Astro Hog. If I wanted to use such an engine, I  might try one of the Comet 54 inch scale designs, though they're so light that perhaps it would be too much engine! I'm assuming it has a bit more thrust than an .049, but I have to admit I have no experience with diesels.

Does the Satin Doll appeal to you? BMJR has a kit that might be about the right size. Someone else made a kit at one time.

It seems to me that there's some other swoopy model that I've seen but can't remember.

I suppose a Super Sinbad with an engine wouldn't look like a Super Sinbad any more.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 05:13:20 PM »

One plane I forgot is the Clancy Lazy Bee. I don't know if that's curvy enough or not, but it flies nice and slow and it's cute.
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 03:49:53 AM »

The Satin Doll is smart. And the Lazy Bee is really cute as you say. I think the Lazy Bee is a real possibility. Thanks all.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »

An .049 two stroke is listed as the bottom of the engine range for the Lazy Bee. Depending on how the thrust of your deisel compares to an .049, you might put in a bit of extra effort to keep things light. Of course if you're scratch building you might want to shrink it a little, or enlarge the plans for the next size down. I've picked up a Lazy Bee by a good builder, though, and it was quite light, so you might not have to do much.

Various sizes and versions here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?916960-Lazy-Bee-Plans-%21%21%21%21

There are some outfits doing short kits, though of course that locks you in to the size they produce.
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 05:38:37 AM »

How about either Debutante or Courtesan? both Vic Smeed designs, both fly very well, both designed for .75cc diesels. My Debutante is over 30 years old now and the Courtesan isn't much younger!!! Does this mean I need to build another model?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: