Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 23, 2019, 04:53:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AVIA BH - 11  (Read 3511 times)
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2019, 10:22:43 AM »

Photo 1 Correction! A bit of a job to fix but necessary.

Painted on the ailerons and the elevator Photo 2 They won't have much effect though!

I decided the easiest way to do the Speedwell Oil sign under the fuse was to print it on white decal paper. I couldn't work out how to cut it out with my Craft Cutter so I cut it by hand, looks OK in the Photo  Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: AVIA BH - 11
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »

Excellent!!   Cheesy   Great job.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »

Looking very crisp Dave.

The craft cutter to make spray masks has worked brilliantly, you're making me think I will have to take plunge and get myself one. Russ's excellent work on my PZL lettering set me thinking but your Avia shows what great results you get with cutting a spray mask too.

Very much enjoying the build thread too

Chris
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2019, 10:39:26 AM »

Thanks Richard and Chris.

I had been thinking about a 3D printer so I could make Cylinders and Machine guns but then had a reality check and decided it was out of my league.

Been working on the windscreens, both different of coarse, I made up a plug and plunge molded the screens in clear and then molded them in plastic card, I was then able to cut out a frame for the outer edge.   Now that I have the correct shape of the screens I will mold another with a couple of legs to extend into the top of the fuselage so it will locate better.
     I've finally finished painting the crew, it's been going on for some time as I seem to paint a colour then touch it up then touch up the next bit, on and on and.....     Dave Banks supplied the crew with their heads turned at slightly different angles so they looked a bit different. I ground off one chaps moustache  and gave him a lighter complexion just to add a bit more variety.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2019, 01:07:12 PM »

Hi Dave.   All of the work you put into your pilots really shows,  Shocked Cool  to me anyway.  I like those Dave Banks pilots too - very realistic.  Regarding your different color schemes, different complexion, and one with no mustache - I say very well done, as those pilots look very sharp and serious.   I go through a lot of touch-ups too (and lots more after handling them),  and double layers of paint, and it does take a while, but the end result makes it that much more satisfying.   How much do your pilots weigh all painted up?  Nice work.  Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2019, 09:21:41 PM »

Richard, the pilots weigh 6 grms, they are monsters though, 2 3/4'' high x 2 3/4" wide.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2019, 07:50:47 PM »

Still at it, I've fitted the windscreens, added the fuel cap, some coaming around the cockpits and stuck in the crew.

Next is the prop, I had intended to use one of my "Coupe" prop blocks to form some laminated blades as I figured that should be somewhere close to what is needed, however I couldn't decide on how to make a "scale like" hub.  So in the end I decided to carve one. I've used the Bill Henn prop block enlarged to 16'', I laminated 3 pieces of 10mm balsa, cut out the block shape then removed all the bits that didn't look like a propeller  Grin. Still away to go but I think it looks the part.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »

Nice prop Dave. it will add the finishing touch to this attractive model.

John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 61

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2019, 08:28:22 PM »

Museum quality work Dave!
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »

Thanks Fellas,
                         I've just had a couple of days where things wouldn't go right but I think I've got on top of it now.
First though more accolades for the Craft Cutter, The Engine has its name, Walter 60, cast into the front of the crankcase so I decided  to try and cut this out. First I drew out the name about 4'' long and filled it in with black marker, transferred the image to the computer and it cut it out perfect. Next I shrunk it down to actual size,7/8" long, and it cut out fine. As the crankcase is silver and the name is polished I cut it out of Chrome tape, This worked OK but just didn't look right, so I painted some vinyl medium gray and that was more acceptable. Photo 1
     Next was the freewheel device, being a Scale model I wanted it to be hidden if possible so I arranged a Garami  Style system to work on the rear of the prop. Photo 2 and 3. In the end I wasn't happy with it so I made up a ramp from aluminium, photo 4 and screwed it into a hollow in the prop. Photo5.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »

I made up a plastic front plate for the prop, it just pushes into the hub and hides the Freewheel ramp. Photo 1 & 2
The prop shaft is a heavy duty 3/32" and uses an "S" hook. Photo 3 Finally Photo 4 shows it in place.   I covered the prop in Woodgrain printed tissue and am pleased with the result, I have another model that I was going to sheet the fuselage in ply to simulate the clear doped finish, I think I might dig it out and try using printed tissue instead.
bobson
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »

Incredible work Dave! Not very often that you see rubber scale that looks this good. Did you mill or CNC your aluminum freewheeler?
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2019, 10:54:52 PM »

Hi bobson,
                     The freewheeler was turned in the lathe and the ramp was just cut and filed to shape by hand.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2019, 02:34:13 AM »

Wood grain tissue Dave - very clever it looks great. That whole front end will need to be removed for flight - too nice to damage.
Where is the guy swinging the prop?  Smiley

John
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2019, 04:06:15 AM »

Yes John, I can see a few bits getting knocked off, Grin

Just about done now, just needs a pound or two of rubber and I can do some test glides, I've left the stab and rudder loose so I can adjust the incidence if needed.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2019, 04:09:06 AM »

There was a bit of a breeze sprung up (funny that) when I took the photos so it gave a good effect with the prop.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2019, 04:29:52 AM »

Wonderful Dave!  Cool
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2019, 06:01:30 AM »

The realism is astounding, Dave.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2019, 06:21:36 AM »

Yes quite remarkable - give you a tenner for it! 
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2019, 07:31:29 AM »

Beautiful model as usual Dave. Well done. I hope there is no crash damage at the Scale Masters day.

Paul
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »

A stunner  Smiley
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »

Yes - that is glorious

It wasn't me
steveneill
FAC Squadron Ventura Model Aviators
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2019, 11:41:10 AM »

Can something ever be too good? No but seeing work like this would inspire anyone to new heights! Literally.

I have worked in movies for over 40 years in visual effects doing everything from making models to CGI but I have never seen such excellent work as I do in model aviation.

ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 84

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »

Stunning Davey, absolutely stunning
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2019, 03:09:51 AM »

Wow, thanks for that, I guess when you just build for fun and not to any rules you can express yourself in the model.

Last night I made up a bobbin from a plastic marker pen and carved out a "T" hook from 3mm Alum.  I made up a test motor of 16 strands of 3/16" rubber 24" long, just somewhere to start.
    After I installed it the model balanced at 30% cord so I figured that would be worth a test glide, the stab is just sitting in place incase I have to move it.
     The council has taken 2 years to turn my flying field into a Wetland but it's finally open with just enough room for some test glides and maybe some with a few turns on.  First couple of tosses it seemed like it needed a bit more incidence in the tailplane or perhaps a bit of weight in the tail and as I needed to carve out the tail plane slot I decided to just try a toss with a dob of clay on the tail skid. It looked really promising and the second toss was a disaster as I had a bad launch and it hit the ground hard and broke the prop!   Need to have a think about what to do about that, my first thought is to glue it back together and fibreglass the back.  The other Idea is to make a plastic prop out of a bucket as I've used before on my P-47 and P-51.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: