Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2020, 07:06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trimming indoor scale models  (Read 498 times)
steve h
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »

Hi all
I'm struggling a bit with trying to lift the in-board wing of my scale models
I've tried putting a trim tab on the in-board wing and also tried a gurnie strip with not a lot of success
An ideas and tips would be great
Cheers
Steve
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:59:33 PM »

Usually the easiest way is to steam some positive incidence into the inboard tip, or at lest remove some of the negative by twisting the wing, take small steps and try on low turns, too much twist and it will turn the other way!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:39:43 PM »

The methods that you and Dave mentioned are all that is normally required - perhaps with a bit of opposite rudder as well.

Assuming the model is not overpowered and the prop size is not more than say 30% of the wing span, then it sounds like you need to carefully check for warps in the wing.

Lightly rubber band 2 long strips(3oomm long approx.) of balsa under each wing at the same point inboard of the tip. It could be that you have wash in on the outside wing compared to the inboard wing. If this is the case follow Daves' advice and gently steam it out - till both panels are the same. Also check each panel for the difference between the root and the tip - the panel should be flat or have a small amount of wash out preferably on the outside wing tip only.

Hope this helps.

Happy flying
John
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:45 AM »

Steve,
          May I suggest the use of a little tip weight on the opposite wing tip. I had the same problem with a peanut Cougar and after trying a gurney strip I used a small amount of tip weight that did the job. The good part is that it is not speed dependent.
Ricky
steve h
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:04:47 AM »

Thanks for the help
Cheered
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print