Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 18, 2021, 05:18:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/2A Shocer(280)  (Read 835 times)
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »

Well, it's been along time since I've posted anything so hear it goes!!! A new 1/2A Shocer, 280 sq. in. wing area, pwr. is a Doug Gaulbreth .05 Picco. Weight is at 7.3 ozs. Initial test glides in the front yard are very promising. Pics. attached.

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
1/2A Shocer(280)
1/2A Shocer(280)
1/2A Shocer(280)
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:18:05 PM »

You will like that engine, I gya-run-tee!
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »

Maybe I'll get to see a test flight in the next few months. Looks good, Scott.

Fred Rash
edhardin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »

Scott,
Are the diagonal mylar strips you have on the wing and stab on top or underneath the covering.
Do they add much rigidity to the structure.
Ed
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 08:17:58 AM »

Ed, good to hear from you! The strips are actually Polyspan and they are under the covering. I apply them with dope than shrink them and apply 2 coats of 50/50 dope before applying the ultra coat lite material. I started adding this on all my nostalgia plans and it really helps with the rigidity of the wing. So I said to my self, self why not on everything so I did. Adds rigidity to everything which is a good thing. If you're not covering with plastic you could put it on before or after, I've seen it done both ways!!! Tissue is good also on really light planes such as the rubber jobs you fly. Attached is a pic. of a Ramrod wing with the added Polyspan strips.

Scott
Re: 1/2A Shocer(280)
TMR44
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »

Hello Scott, I know this is an old thread but I'm building a Shocer and had plans to run the same P zero motor. I was wondering how yours ended up trimming and flying. Any difficulties with it? Also, do you have any other photos of how you set up the front end? Curious on Timer choice, D/T, fuel delivery etc. Any advice or tips will be much appreciated.

Best regards,
  Todd
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 04:06:21 PM »

Todd, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner but I was in Muncie for the last contest of the season. As far as the 280 Shocer with th Picco .05 engine is concerned. It is the best 1/2 A I have ever built and flown. The engine was tacked on the field @ 29,500 rpm with an APC 5.5 x 2 prop. Pwr. pattern is almost vertical with a slight role to the right and a perfect transition to a right had glide. 2 minute maxes on a 7 second engine run isn't even a challenge, first thing in the morning or late in the evening the glide is superb and the height is incredible! Need less to say I LIKE IT!!! Let me know if you have any further questions. Scott
TMR44
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 05:32:15 PM »

Hi Scott, thank you for the response and congrats on a beautiful model. I do have a couple questions. Did you add anything beyond  the plans to stiffen up the wing? Looks like you may have added shear webs to the main panels? And, what process did you go through to break in the P-zero? Such a sexy little engine, I don’t want to hurt it. Lastly, what do you use as a timer? I have a Texas Timers Micro for fuel shut off. I was just going to use my airtek RDT unit and manually D/T it.

Best regards,
Todd
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 06:55:29 PM »

Yes, and what did it weigh?
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 07:24:53 PM »

Todd, yes I added shear webs to the main panels and the diagonal (45 deg.) Polyspan strips As indicated in my previous comments. As far as breaking in the Picco, I used 35% fuel, fired it up and let it run just below full pwr. setting, i.e. not four stroking but on the rich side. I did this four or five times letting it completely cool down between Runnings. After this run in ran it a few times at full speed for 7 second engine runs and it was ready to go. I'm using a Texas Timer full off timer with a fuse DT. Finished weight came in at 7.6 ozs. I'll be waiting on your flying report.  Scott
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 02:01:29 AM »

What size is the venturi on your Picco?   i have one that's partly converted-and a bit more work to do on a second example (like make a new shaft ...!

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 07:48:08 AM »

Chris, I'll have to measure it and get back to you. It is what ever Doug Golbreth supplied them with. But I'll let you know soon.

Scott
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 05:52:00 PM »

Thanks Scott-mine is not a Galbreath one...I believe the conversion on my Picco was done by Robin Boys here in NZ....and I'm not entirely happy with it ..I obtained the engine in a swap with a third party. In particular I'm not that impressed with the venturi and prop driver setup on mine...I've sorted the prop driver by fitting a Mecoa Fuji 061 one, and will fit a decent venturi and a fine thread needle assembly. the second one was obtained 'as is' ex Ebay with broken shaft so that is a longer term project...and under our (NZ) rules I can use it in 1/2A/F1J without needing to destroke it with a custom crank to meet a capacity limit like you guys do in the US, so the replacement will be just a copy of the original-possibly from a better grade of steel.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
TMR44
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 01:08:03 AM »

Thanks for the info Scott. I'll be really pleased if mine comes in anywhere near 8 oz. I've finished framing and just now have finished building and attaching the firewall. I'm building this from Barry's kit and building the 282 sq. version. In hindsight, I guess I could've built the smaller wing and saved weight but who knows. I'm hoping the power of this little motor will pull it up just fine. I'll add shear webs before I cover the wing. I was going to cover it in Micafilm but I may chicken out and go to Ultracote light instead. I'll be trying Klass Kote for the first time tomorrow. Wish me luck!
 Chris, My P Zero also came from Doug. I wish I would have bought a few of them when they were available. It sure is a sexy looking little thing! Hope you get yours sorted!

Todd
TMR44
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 02:29:19 AM »

Still need to finish sand,cover, add RDT and bladder. She’s gonna be a bit chunky! I love the lines though. Hope to break in the Picco soon. I’ll post more pics whe. It’s done.

Todd
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 09:09:57 AM »

Todd, this engine has plenty of pwr. to haul the 280 to the sky!!!

Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: