Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2019, 03:25:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA NW Area FF Gala  (Read 371 times)
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2019, 06:30:09 AM »

The NW Area FF Gala at the Manchester Velodrome is next Saturday 16th March.

Scale classes for Peanut & Pistachio (static & timed flying), with a flying only open event. 
This will be for open rubber, open CO2/electric and kit scale models and will be run to the flying rules for the open classes. 
That means that any one entering a kit scale model will need to do 15 seconds wheels up, as we don't have the manpower to run a separate KS competition.

Duration classes for No-Cal, Legal Eagle, Osprey, Bostonian, F1D, F1L, F1M & Limited Penny Plane.

Registration and Scale trimming & duration flying start at 9.00am.

John M
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 115

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 07:01:57 AM »

Thanks John. I’m guessing the precise timetable for the day will depend on numbers, but do you know when the first scale competitions might begin (or even how long is the initial trimming session)? If not, don’t worry. It’s just that I’m likely bringing a chap from Hull who’s expressed an interest in getting  back into aeromodelling and don’t want to haul him out much earlier than necessary.
Cheers
Pete
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:39:19 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:08:50 AM »

Pete, have a look at the Norwind site for times.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »

Thanks Ralph- I should have thought of that!
Here's the link: http://www.creativesweb.co.uk/norwind/Velodrome_Meetings.html
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »

Off to a VERY wet Manchester today. Glad we were indoors.  Maybe 20 or so (?) of us competing in the various classes.
Here are a couple of videos:
Dave Crompton's AOP Auster. He saved its best flights (or at least landings) for the pre and post contest trimming, but it goes very nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayvJk8j7PCc

Also, Tim Horne's venerable old Hergt Mono, doing its stuff (came second).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0euQILvnUOM&pbjreload=10

I thought I'd got a video of Reg Boor's fine flying Bernard too, but turns out I didn't. Shame really, as on the flight in question it circled on the floor straight back round to Reg, where to avoid collision he jumped over it and ended up on his knees . The model then took off to complete its round, and Reg eventually stood up, thankfully none the worse for wear. Hope I'm that nimble when I'm 90. Come to think of it, wish I was that nimble now.

Pics are of the peanut and pistachio entry, which unlike the open scale entries, were static judged by esteemed judges John Minchell and Graham Kennedy.
Graham was giving away the nice grass effect floor tiles (and various other goodies) so I got a couple and tested one out as a background for my VMC SE5A.

A very enjoyable day. Big thanks to the organisers, scorers and judges. Very much appreciated, and long may this event continue.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: BMFA NW Area FF Gala
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 08:31:09 PM »

I need to add my thanks to all the organisers and officials for making this a very enjoyable day, and more importantly (as Pete is far too modest) to say that he won the Open Scale event with the SE5a!
piecost
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 07:29:25 AM »

I participated in the indoor duration side of the event. I would like to thank Dave Whitehouse for organising the event and Mike Colling for scoring.

The Velodrome must be the best site for duration at the moment. It has a high ceiling but models are limited to below thr white beams level with the top of the nets at 40'8". It was not allways easy to keep within this height. An accidental tactic that worked well was to hit the lights or speakers located just below the beams. Hopefully this looses a couple of feet and prevents the model exceeding the maximum hieght.

Apparently the site often features an inversion layer which can suck models into the roof. We found that when the air conditioning was on that models could nearly be tossed inverted by a narrow jet of air. On this occasion there was a tiny amount of drift along the major axis of the track, but very turbulent air below shoulder height, no doubt caused by the cyclists stirring the air.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 05:35:00 AM »

It was good to meet you, Piecost, and put another face to an HPA name.

... and more importantly (as Pete is far too modest) to say that he won the Open Scale event with the SE5a!
Thanks Tim. Too modest to say myself perhaps, but not too modest to quote you saying it! Grin. The SE5's win was also of course another victory notched up for the Darby/VMC design factory.
Dave Crompton had a very good day too, as did Tom Tomlinson who took the overall contest champion award. Hopefully full results will be on the BMFA site soon.
SP250
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »

Results are now up on the main BMFA website (with link from Scale Bmfa site too) for Scale Indoor event at the Manchester Velodrome 16th March 2019.

Open Scale – flying only, Peanut Scale & Pistachio Scale.

https://bmfa.org/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?Command=Core_Download&EntryId=3116&language=en-GB&PortalId=0&TabId=281

John M

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: