Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 02:21:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dewoitine D.500 or D.510 plans?  (Read 2613 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2019, 11:37:10 AM »

I've been considering doing a Dewoitine 500, 501 or 510 for a while, and today had another look to see what there is in the way of drawings and plans. Plenty of nice three and four-views is the answer, such as the one attached. There are also a few flying model plans on Outerzone and in the plans gallery here. None are quite what I'm after though so does anyone know of any others? Ideally I'd like something lightly built and about 24" span. This'll be for rubber. I might start from scratch or use an existing plan as a basis, but thought I'd just see what else is out there first.
Thanks!
Pete
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Dewoitine D.500 or D.510 plans?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:57:34 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »

Whichever way you go, please do a build thread.  I find the fighters from right before WWII to be fascinating.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »

Do I remember one of the Harfang Gang doing one?
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 03:14:00 PM »

Nice 3-view.  I like the way the wing TE is dead straight in the plan view, and clearly raked forward in the side view.  Nuthin's quite so challenging to a fabricator or machinist than a drawing that's not even self-consistent.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 04:22:14 PM »

Hi Pete here is a Nick Limber D-500 scanned out of the Golden Age Reproduction catalog... This scan came out really well, and I'd be happy to send to a full size PDF, if you will promise to double check everything for symmetry, etc.... I am sure this plan is floating around in Outerzone and wherever else..... whatever you are gonna do some noodle scratching to get this thing light...maybe this would be a good reason to get into some monocoque witchcraft..... Huh This thing has a hell of a stab/rudder combo going on...... Go for it!  I will be there watching with my usual inane "peanut gallery style" commentary to cheer you on!
Re: Dewoitine D.500 or D.510 plans?

The Threadkiller!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 04:31:07 PM »

Looks like it would make an impressive model Pete.

The plan Crabby mentioned is available on Aerofred along with another, possibly better 3 view
Mefot
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 05:22:37 PM »

This is crying out for a carved foam fuselage Peter !!! ☺️
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »

Thanks all. I'd found Crabby's plan and a few other drawings. Thanks for that one though- it does better than the one I posted and Tim's quite right about the TE discrepancy in the plan and side view. I still like it as a nicely laid out bit of artwork though.

This is crying out for a carved foam fuselage Peter !!! ☺️
You've done it now! I was already daring myself to think along these lines. Never done a foam fus. before but maybe this could be the one. I've even got a big hunk of blue foam which usually just gets used for carving dodgy pilot figures.
fred
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 11:30:21 PM »

Hmmm ...at that planned size I would carve a blu foam fuse then use it as a plug to plank on... in 1/32 or ( 1/16th if you typically do a lot of final sanding)
When sanded fettled.. split the planked fuse and remove the foam plug.
The balsa shell Will be markedly lighter (far more durable as well) than the blu foam,
 even If you can hollow it into a 1/16th thick shell
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 05:48:09 AM »

I have a notion Pete that there is another foam that is better and is white which I think Richard Crossley has used for his pistachio models and that can be hollowed very thinly and is very light.  Will see if I can remember but maybe he will surface.
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 07:17:59 AM »

Hi David, this is something that I mean to look at. I think it is architectural modelling foam and is similar to the foam found in foam boards. The later can also be found up to around 12mm and the paper is easily removed (i’ve Been told).

Cheers
Ian
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:36:41 AM by Ian Melville » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 04:16:04 AM »

Thanks all. I’m very tempted to just double up this Fillon peanut plan from the gallery. It’s an odd one as it gives a choice of three Dewoitine types in both foam and balsa, all on the same drawing. So massive potential for me to end up with an asymmetrical Frankensteinian cock-up of a model. To avoid confusion I may edit out the ones I’m not building before I begin and I think I’ll probably go the balsa route.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:40:32 PM »

Plazamate, which is supposed to be like Highload 60 with a different edge treatment, wet sands very nicely to a very fine finish. It's also a lot stronger in compression than the usual blue foam.  If memory serves, I first read about Highload 60 in a booklet about foam free flight models that was written by a couple of guys in Britain, so I'm thinking you may be able to get it without too much trouble. Around here, I seem to recall a lifetime supply (for a ff scale modeler working at 2 foot spans) is about $30 or $35, but it may vary. That's 2 inches X 24 inches x 96 inches! Highload 60 is also popular as a foam wing core for RC gliders, so if you know anyone who cuts cores, they may have some nice scraps. I think Highload 60 may be used to support floors in refrigerated rooms, so that might be another lead.

As of a few days ago, Jim  Fiorello of Golden Age Reproductions was still selling plans. At least to us locals. I'd guess he'd be glad to sell you a good full sized print of that Dewoitine. Even though the kits are gone (to Peck Polymers) his basement still has an amazing number of plans stacked up. Possibly a literal ton of them.

https://www.goldenagereproductions.com/
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 05:50:25 AM »

Thanks Lincoln- very interesting stuff. On balance though, I think I'll go with the Fillon plan and the trad. balsa route. I've now enlarged the plan from peanut to 26.4 inches, which is 1/18 scale. A nice size for indoors, but just big enough to be eligible for BMFA outdoor events too.
I'm inclined towards this particular D.501 as my subject because it's a fairly simple scheme and I've found several photos of it, including side views of both sides. This shot is my favourite though- there's something very calm and French about it with the boy and his dad walking by, and quite poignant too given that it was taken in 1938.
Bryanair
Silver Member

Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 06:30:30 AM »

The BMFA rules for outdoor rubber scale have changed.  There is now no minimum wingspan.  Page 76 of the scale rule book.

6.4.2 SCALE OUTDOOR FREE FLIGHT (Rubber Powered)
6.4.2.1 General Characteristics
Maximum surface area ......................................................................................... 150 dm2

Maximum weight of complete model ...........................................................................2 kg
Maximum loading .............................................................................................. 50 g / dm2

NB. There is no minimum wingspan
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 07:32:38 AM »

The BMFA rules for outdoor rubber scale have changed.  There is now no minimum wingspan.
That is a rule change that passed me by completely. Very useful info indeed. Thanks Bryan!

Maximum weight of complete model ...........................................................................2 kg
Shocked I don't think I'm in much danger of transgressing this one either- even if I do sometimes use too much glue and need a lot of blue tack on the nose!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:46:38 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Bryanair
Silver Member

Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 09:42:20 AM »

Just had a look through my library and found this magazine.  There are 46 pages on the subject a/c, colour side views, black and white photos, no 3 views and the text is French.  Pete send me your address and I'll send it to you.
Bryan
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »

The BMFA rules for outdoor rubber scale have changed.  There is now no minimum wingspan.

That one passed me by unnoticed, and I instigated the rule in the first place.
Bill (FF scale outdoor rep!)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »

Just had a look through my library and found this magazine.  There are 46 pages on the subject a/c, colour side views, black and white photos, no 3 views and the text is French.  Pete send me your address and I'll send it to you.
Bryan
Bryan that is a VERY welcome offer! I'd seen that mag online and considered paying quite a bit for a copy on French eBay or somesuch. PM sent with my address. Much appreciated. Hopefully I can return the favour at some point.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 11:23:47 AM »

Just about to start this. First of all, massive thanks to Bryan for the magazine which is now in my possession and is very inspirational. It's largely what's moved this project to the head of my building queue, even though I do intend to build a new kit scale model before Nijmegen. Still, plenty of time left for that too.

This will be a fairly simple model I've decided, built to be light and to fly well rather than to be excessively detailed and accurate. It's the first subject in a while that I've built just because I like it, rather than with any purpose or competition in mind. To this end, I've blown up the Fillon peanut plan to just over 26" span and will use that as a basis, tweaking things as I go. I'm going to use stick and tissue rather than foam, so the rear fuselage at least will be unrealistically stringered. I've also decided that of the three Dewoitines in this 500 family (D.500, D.501 and D.510) I'm going to do the D.500. Unlike the D.501s they had spinners, which I think are quite an important part of the look, and unlike the D.510s they had 2 (not 3) bladed props and usually less in the way of fussy gubbins like aeriels etc.

Here's a photo I like, which shows what a nice clean aeroplane the D.500 is. I suppose that as usual with spinners there will be issues with the thrust settings, but the front portion does seem to lend itself to becoming a shimmable noseblock if I can keep the cracks fairly minimal.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »

Now swinging towards the D.510 having dug out this 3 bladed prop. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Eg. Is it suitable/feasible for a rubber model or is it really intended for electric? I got it from SAM’s some time ago. The blades came as separate pieces and slot into the hub from the back. It’s 9” diameter, which would be just the size for this.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 09:57:57 AM »

When I first tried bigger rubber models, I would take a big horrible KK plastic prop, glue 1/64 ply to the back for more blade area and fill the front with plastic padding - just what my tail-heavy models needed. But the bigger problem here might be insufficient pitch. I would go for the Ivan Taylor approach - he's made lots of 3,4 and 5 bladers. Have a word.
vintagemike
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 10:29:16 AM »

Looks like the prop that came with the Gasparin GM300 Co2 motor
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »

I've a few of these from SAMS too, as Mike says they are CO2 props so finer pitch than for rubber Huh

Ivan's strimmer hub props are very impressive... were they detailed in the Spitfire build for AM ?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 07:02:23 AM »

Thanks chaps. For some reason it didn’t occur to me that it was a CO2 prop. Probably because none of my CO2 motors are big enough to swing it. If I ever do make a 3 bladed rubber prop though I will certainly consult the oracle called Ivan, but for this I’ll just revert back to doing the D.500 again, which only needs a two bladed airscrew*. I’ve started now, using the Fillon plan as mentioned. Pics when there’s a bit more to see...

*I always found it strange the way, in the WW1 Biggles books, W E Johns always told us at that ‘prop’ was slang for propeller which “at that time” was the incorrect word used for the airscrew. Never heard of anyone else objecting to the word propeller though!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: