Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2019, 02:06:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kit Rubber Scale Models  (Read 1195 times)
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:53:39 PM »

I have been busy since December having started a Flyline Bellanca Skyrocket in NZ before going to the UK for Christmas where I started a Aerograhics Westland Widgeon and as aside an enlarged Ol' Ironsides at 20.5" They will all have carved balsa props and I will try a Gizmogeeser nose plug in the Widgeon. I am now deciding whether to use ink to colour the tissue on the kit scale models. All the models will dismantle for travel using rubber bands and short pegs to hold the wings and wire in tube fixing for the struts.
Photos are attached.
Ricky   
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Kit Rubber Scale Models
Kit Rubber Scale Models
Kit Rubber Scale Models
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 02:34:59 AM »

Lovely models, Ricky. I especially like the look of that Skyrocket.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 04:17:36 AM »

Yes, he is a bit good at all  this stuff isn’t he?

Often thought about using ink for colouring. Have used it of course in other areas of “art” but not had the courage to try it on models.  I am told it is quite good on polyester tissue.  I might ask young Crossley because it must be a medium with which he is familiar.
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:59:48 AM »

David,
          You are so kind and having seen Richard's Coranado finish I would welcome feedback on the idea. I am using Esaki tissue in the main.
 I have used the tyre coloured paint on the Ol' Ironsides wheels and it looks fine but then there is only a peek of the tyre protruding from the spats.
Ricky 
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 08:47:25 PM »

Further progress on the Widgeon with flying surfaces and fuselage complete and details to finish. Wheels need painting, strut fittings to complete and wing band hooks to finish, after the Hearty Clay cockpit surrounds are done and the centre section is epoxied in. Then a prop and noseblock to make. The Ironsides is almost completely covered and the Bellanca is structurally complete.
Ricky
Re: Kit Rubber Scale Models
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 03:34:21 AM »

Progress continues on the Widgeon. My first use of Hearty Clay on the cockpit comings that was a bit untidy but the weight is looking promising at 20 grms so far without prop and noseblock. Silver Esaki tissue that has been steam shrunk and appears to be a lighter coating than the other silver I have. The wings will remove for travel. The tyres have been painted with the rubber grey from AK. The propeller has been sized and the block marked out with a PD of 1.2 and diameter of 7.5"
The Ironsides is covered and trhe paint is next. The glazing is 5 thou clear styrene and an outer of 5 thou white styrene that will glue onto the fuselage.
Finally the dummy Wright engine for the Bellanca just needs pushrod tubes to complete. The colour scheme will be Wop Mays CF-AKI in overall international orange.
Ricky  

Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 04:04:27 AM »

They're looking great Ricky. I really like the Wigeon
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 07:05:31 PM »

The Widgeon has progressed and is almost complete. Photos attached. I am still not happy with the strut attachments; the model is designed to come appart for travel and struts are always a challenge. The peg system that Dave uses works well for biplanes but high wings are a different matter. A second nose plug with a balsa prop is also almost finished.
Ricky     
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 08:27:14 PM »

Looks great Ricky!

Jon
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 01:26:34 AM »

Very nice work! It has a certain charisma.

I think you need to stay with the Westland theme and do a Whynotte:
    ;-)
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/6/8/2/8/a8616898-142-Westland_Whynotte_cover_reduced.JPG
I don't think there's a plan for one yet, but since the "original" was cobbled together from Whirlwind parts, that shouldn't be a huge obstacle.

More info and 3 view here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33760737&postcount=3
Kit Rubber Scale Models
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 04:05:05 AM »

The Widgeon has flown yesterday on a perfect morning and a field with long grass. Initial trim is safe with a good floaty glide and no wayward habits yet. It needs more than the .150" rubber used  Weight has reached 30 gms with rubber, and I have two noseblocks, with a plastic and balsa props for comparison. It needs exhaust pipes and minor details to finish. I am hoping that it can be trimmed for indoor flying. No photos yet.
The Jodel is also progressing and with a short .150" motor it is now doing a safe left turning flight. I have added a gurney flap to the port wing tip and straightened the rudder that was a little twisted.
The Me109 is still work in progress.
 Ricky  
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 09:20:25 AM »

The Jodel is also progressing and with a short .150" motor it is now doing a safe left turning flight. I have added a gurney flap to the port wing tip and straightened the rudder that was a little twisted.

Good to hear your progress Ricky.

Our Jodel (heavier than your's and with a 1.5x length of 0.185") has the gurney on the port wing tip but also needed a second one just inboard of the dihedral break, plus a smidge of tip-weight on the other wing.  But (as it is predominately for indoor flight in relatively small spaces) it has assertive left rudder, hence the need to counter spiralling in with these extra accoutrements on the wing.

Jon
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 04:07:38 PM »

Thanks for the info Jon. The behaviour is clearly similar. I have used an Ikara 6" dia prop and it appears to need a little more push. I still have the tip weight option available to use if necessary. The rudder is also giving a definite left bias. If the weather that has been so good of late but due to pack up does not clear it will be try at next indoor evening.
Ricky
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 07:02:47 AM »

The Widgeon has been completed to the plan with an exhaust manifold from styrene tube and two widgeons on the fuselage. The motor is now at 2 strands of .160" and awaits further trimming. Photos attached. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: