Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 26, 2019, 12:32:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rubber stripper information request  (Read 507 times)
benjamin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Belgium Belgium

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm finally thinking to buy a rubber stripper. I never used such tool but I had the opportunity to see them in action.

So, I read a bit about a few different models on this forum but I also saw the one listed on samsmodels website. 

What would you recommend? Any advice regarding, cut quality, durability, repairability, parts availability, etc?

Thanks a lot  Smiley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »

Benjamin contact Art356 here on Hip Pocket he makes a very nice one called the Chain Gang winder.

The Threadkiller!
Rossclements
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

F1D is pretty neat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »

I have a harlan rubber stripper and am very happy with it. The rubber stripper on sams models appears to be a harlan as well.
Here is the link to Ray Harlan's site: https://www.indoorspecialties.com/index1.html
I'm not sure what the Import fee would be, but it would seem like it would be cheaper to buy directly from Rey.
He sells blades, and I'd imagine you could buy spare parts from him as well.
I'm not aware of any other rubber stripper in production, so it might be harder to find parts for the ones out of production.
Ross
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 09:48:20 AM »

Benjamin contact Art356 here on Hip Pocket he makes a very nice one called the Chain Gang winder.

The chain gang winder is a winder not a rubber stripper.

Harlan's cutter is nice and still in production. Any of the other strippers, such as an Oppegard, Lesson, or Geauga Precision are no longer made so have to get lucky to buy one and they will cost more as well.

Don
benjamin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Belgium Belgium

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 11:03:37 AM »

Thanks a lot for your advice. Will definitely go for the Harlan's one. I have no idea about blades consumption.. How many spares would you buy?
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »

I've had a Harlan one from SAMS one for about 20 years now and while I admit it is not had a lot of use, I have not had to even sharpen the blades (it comes with grindstone and oil) much less replace them.

John M
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:12 AM »

Thanks a lot for your advice. Will definitely go for the Harlan's one. I have no idea about blades consumption.. How many spares would you buy?

I've only replaced the blades in my Harlan after I dropped it and chipped one of the blades. I used an Oppegard for a few years but finally decided I like the Harlan better.
spr
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »

Benjamin,

Polish master flier Edward Ciapala sells great strippers.   Construction is about the same as in Harlan's, but price is much lower, I think around 100 euros including postage. Has also spare blade sets, but have not needed those by now.

Edward can be reached by email, PM me if you want his adress.

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 05:36:57 PM »

The chain gang winder is a winder not a rubber stripper.

Harlan's cutter is nice and still in production. Any of the other strippers, such as an Oppegard, Lesson, or Geauga Precision are no longer made so have to get lucky to buy one and they will cost more as well.

Don

Yeah I know my bad getting mixed up time for a break! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  My stripper is an Oppegard very nice. I will be in a jam when its time to replace the blades

The Threadkiller!
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 06:41:47 PM »

I've been very pleased with a Harlan stripper for many years, though I'll admit I don't fly all the time. I gotta admit I don't know about other strippers.
cglynn
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 08:45:16 AM »

I use a Harlan.  It works very well, does what its supposed to, and is readily available for a decent price.  And while some may argue that their other brand stripper is "better," a Harlan is better than nothing everyday of the week.

And I know this has been discussed before, but I will reiterate, as it made a big difference in my flying.  Once you get your stripper, and are making and measuring motors, measure them by their weight per length, (I use grams/inch, which some people don't like due to the mixing of english and metric units, but as I am not plugging my motor data into any particular formula, and just use the motor density as a relative way to compare rubber, it works for me, you mileage may vary), as opposed to the width of the rubber in thousandths of inches.  The reason being that the motor can vary in thickness slightly along its length, but weight per length is always what it is.  If I fly a motor loop that is .040 g/in and 12 inches long, regardless of the shape of the rubber or its thickness, it will perform predictably (for the same batch of rubber) flight after flight.  That said, I do use the width as reference to set the initial cut width of the strip.  I use a 5 inch or so test piece, strip it, then weigh the motor, and record its weight per length.  If its what I wanted, then I cut a long length of rubber to that dimension, bag it and label it.  If its too heavy or too light, I adjust the stripper, and try again. 

indoorguy
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »

cglynn has the right idea for the most part. As I like to say, "I love the guy who asks me what size motor I used on that last flight" He's easy to beat, since he is clueless to what motors he really has.

The only error cglynn has is to cut a long length of rubber. He should cut lengths of rubber stock to the length of strip he's going to use for the loop (twice loop length), if he knows how long a loop he's going to use. If he doesn't, he should cut something a bit longer than his best guess. The reason is that rubber thickness can vary quite a bit in just double loop lengths. There will be significant differences in weights between these lengths. I like to cut at least ten strips when stripping for a particular model. I weight them and put them on the bench in ascending order of weight. I also cut two or three 3" strips for setting up the stripper.

I have found that the resolution of the weighing scale is very important. It should be able to read to one milligram, or better.

Recently, I have been using an Excel spreadsheet to figure the stripper settings and it is awesome. I'll have Ratz attach it and the instructions so everyone can have it. It is easy to get a spread in motor weights to 1 percent or better.

Ray Harlan

Download the Instructions: Instructions (Word Doc)
Download the Spreadsheet: Spreadsheet (Excel file)

Ratz Edit: Added links to supplied files.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 06:19:41 PM by Ratz » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: