Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2019, 04:57:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gilbert 07 glow spare heads  (Read 138 times)
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »

Anyone out there know of source of spare glow heads for the Gilbert 07?
Bit of a minority sport, I know!
john
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »

Take a dead one, drill & tap it for 1/4-32?
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 04:30:57 PM »

That seems the obvious way, Tim.  Would this work in (presumably) softish alloy?  Did see a post somewhere saying that its not that straightforward.
I will get my engine guy on the job.  Nothing beats him!
j
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 09:22:15 PM »

Ebay is your friend when it comes to these....Tower hobbies stocked them well into the 2000s but Tower is a shadow of its former self these days. In any case the OEM heads were rubbish-the elements were either not a precious metal, or based metal plated with the minimal amount of catalytic material-and were never a very effective unit. IIRC the Fox 09 glowhead will fit one or the other of the Gilberts-...I'd have to check....and the Fox head is still available from Mecoa.....if you want to chance the lottery that is their customer service...!    Best option-as has been suggested-is to tap out an original for a std 1/4-32 UNEF plug.....if you want to get creative-and have the gear or a model engineer mate...you could experiment with using a button insert....like the AP06 for example....and use the original burnout head as a clamp ring to retain the insert....this might alleviate your concerns about the 'soft' OEM head material....

Whilst on the subject (I have several Gilberts) do not fall into the trap of assuming that because they are sideports they're low revving sloggers....they are not....quite atypical in fact-and you do not want to overload them-the '7' is best on a 6x4 and the '11' on a 7x4....even by normal glow standards these are not big props for their respective capacities...likewise they also like a reasonable amount of nitro...10-15%- to run properly...

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 09:42:44 PM »

Well I've just checked using a Fox 09 glowhead-and unfortunately-it fits the Gilbert 11-not the '7'-so disregard that suggestion immediately above as an option...[it will still be a useful experiment of my part to see whether the 11 will run with the Fox head...and if it does-better, worse, or the same as the original...]   .the Fox glowheads themselves....049, 07, 09 and 10 did not have that great a reputation at the time they were extant....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:50:43 AM »

Would this work in (presumably) softish alloy? 

Better than a head with a burnt-out element!  At worst you'll get one shot before you need to helicoil it or make an insert out of harder aluminum.
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 07:54:09 AM »

Thanks chaps, great info as usual.
I feel a little humbled in the prescence of engineers.  My gear (and abilites) are woefully inadequate to attempt the proposed solution.....  hammer, screwdriver and deWalt are my friends, although I did proceed to a Dremel recently.
That said, I did replace soft as putty head screws on a MARZ with cap heads.  B******d still took my finger off.
Know thineself!
Will send Gilbert off to my guru and revert BB (before brexit)
john
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: