Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 28, 2021, 12:28:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Burdov Pirate Squared P-30  (Read 1168 times)
VictorY
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »

Here is a nice resource with an explanation on how to calibrate a torque meter using engineering formulas. Check it out if you would like.

http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/tools/torque/torquetech.html

I went with the mathless version and hung 1 oz on the end of an 8" lever. Smiley He said 8oz for a P-30 or smaller plane. You are saying closer to 12-15??? Thanks
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Burdov Pirate Squared P-30
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:13:39 PM by VictorY » Logged
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 09:11:12 PM »

Here is a nice resource with an explanation on how to calibrate a torque meter using engineering formulas. Check it out if you would like.

http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/tools/torque/torquetech.html

I went with the mathless version and hung 1 oz on the end of an 8" lever. Smiley He said 8oz for a P-30 or smaller plane. You are saying closer to 12-15??? Thanks

I had a p30 I would wind to 10 in/oz.  Sometimes 11+ depending on rubber. That was with a 6 strand 1/8" motor. Of course my torque meter might have been off by a bit. I'm not known for my math/engineering skills Grin

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
VictorY
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 10:20:27 PM »

I'm not too good with numbers anymore either. The mind needs exercise just like the body, and I don't get a lot for either lately.  Roll Eyes Here's the scale I came up with using a lever and 1 oz. weight moved at 5 inch increments. If the theory is correct, I should be pretty close to accurate.
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »

That's how I torqued the flywheel nut and the rear axle nuts on my VW many years ago.  I only had a 150 ft. lb. torque wrench and these went over 200 lbs.  I weighed my self and calculated where to stand on my 3/4" drive breaker bar.  Tightened until a light bounce produced no more movement.  They never came apart.
VictorY
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2019, 12:16:00 AM »

Ready for the road. Smiley I made a wedge shaped compartment for the stab so as you insert it completely, the trailing edge is basically clamped to a straight edge.
VictorY
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 11:32:22 AM »

After many cuss words, I finally have something resembling a half tube for the Pirate. The tube part is a piece of aluminum angle and the end piece was made from flat plate aluminum.

Inside diameter at the hook is 11mm!
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 03:09:36 PM »

Did you see this thread on P30 half tubes? https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20134.0

Norm

After many cuss words, I finally have something resembling a half tube for the Pirate. The tube part is a piece of aluminum angle and the end piece was made from flat plate aluminum.

Inside diameter at the hook is 11mm!
VictorY
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »

Yes. I read it a few times. But scratch building a tool that fits inside a fuse that's only 11mm in diameter required a few tries.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: