Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 28, 2021, 09:41:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vic Smeed Poppet  (Read 1076 times)
Olli-Matti
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »

I’d like to share my newest venture in to the world of powered free flight and diesel: the Vic Smeed Poppet with MP Jet 040 Classic.

Had a great time today at the sea. 3rd and 4th flights of the Poppet were a great success  Grin

https://youtu.be/xLFBgaAXJ58

https://youtu.be/aatn6mrj-v0

Rgds
Ollie
C VEICH
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »

Don't know how it could get any better than that, just beautiful.  Congratulations!

If it ain't broke, go fly it!
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 07:22:25 PM »

That is just magic. What a lovely flying site providing there is no drift. Floatplanes have a certain character about them.
Ricky
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 10:54:59 PM »

Wow, that is certainly Free Flight at its best, really enjoyed the videos, what fantastic conditions. Thanks for sharing! Kudos
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »

After Brexit, will I be allowed to move out to Finland and live there?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 09:54:44 PM »

Beautiful flights Ollie - thanks for sharing the vid clips. What a site - love the water landings!

John
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »

Gorgeous!!!  Cool
pilot5659
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 11:27:56 AM »

Very impressive!!!!
Olli-Matti
Bronze Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:11:08 AM »

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. I have really enjoyed Poppet much and lately got a chance to fly it over lake Saimaa at our summer cottage. I've found out that it can handle easily mild breeze of say 2m/s and it can be also flown in moderate 4m/s wind but then it will land on the floats but the wind will soon flip it over and then there is some extra 30min of drying time to be expected.

Luckily it tends to flip it so that the engine is above waterlevel as it will end up most of the time completely on its back. Occasionally Poppet has ended floating engine down and tail directly upwards. Then there is also need to clear the crankcase of excess water but really this little mp jet engine has proven to be very suitable flow over water.

Basic engine run time is around 1min 15s when filled up before flight and it will take the Poppet to approximately 70m of height. Been clocking flights of around 2min and 45s. Also got the old F1B timer installed.

Short video from last session, nothing new exactly https://youtu.be/yZ8FcFy3Uu4

-Ollie
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 05:29:28 AM »

Thanks for that Ollie - very enjoyable.

John
Olli-Matti
Bronze Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »

Been flying Poppet every now and then and it truly is a lovely flying little plane. Being a freeflight it has allready seen some nice adventures like landing in exotic places Smiley

Today attempted first time rise off water and as I were quite skeptic it really seems that it could make it. Just not today as it did a complete 360 and ended on the side of the row boat it was lunched from.. It was allready in the air but only a little and banking quite steeply.  Luckily virtually no damage was sustained in this attempt.

https://youtu.be/CPbudn8BPQw

Before this I did a beautiful flight of 210 seconds in a totally calm air landing on the water.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Vic Smeed Poppet
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »

Great flying model, beautifully filmed Ollie! Thank you for sharing.
Ates
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 07:37:23 PM »

That was lucky Ollie. I'm glad it didn't get badly damaged. Taking off from water is a bit of a challenge.

John
Olli-Matti
Bronze Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »

So far Poppet has been glide turning to the left. I did try to adjust the little trim tab to the full right but that only made Poppet glide straight ahead. I now did extend the moveable rudder part a bit and tested it and now got a beautiful left turn under power and quite steep right hand turn on the glide. A little bit less right rudder from the adjustable tab and it should be perfect.

A short video from the todays trim flight:

https://youtu.be/3D10e6wKVp8

-Ollie
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 01:54:11 PM »

Hi Ollie.  From a distance, the way that Poppet flies around up there, in your video above, in the blue sky above the forested hills, it reminds me of the float bush planes taking the fisherman back and forth, to remote fly-in lakes (that I guided for fishing on),  way up in the Boreal Forest of Northwestern Ontario, to all areas north of the little town of Sioux Lookout, Ontario, Canada.    Super great flight.   Grin   Now you have me thinking about the early Candian bush floatplanes.   We have lots of water for float planes up in Northern Ontario, Canada.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Olli-Matti
Bronze Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 02:35:39 PM »

Thanks Lastwoodsman, I think you might like the beginning of todays clip aswell  Wink

Rise off water success  Cheesy https://youtu.be/nY53os-eezw

Unfortunately as I pushed the compression up it did pull the nose up quite a lot during flight so not so pretty after take off but atleast the take off was succesful. Prolly going to be launching mostly from hand from naw on though.

-Ollie 
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 08:01:39 PM »

Great stuff, please keep posting your videos. Perhaps a bit more downthrust would help with the extra power, though the low power flights are very enjoyable.
jerryCashman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 02:00:12 AM »

Makes me smile and relax - just beautiful. Congratulations!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 08:51:52 PM »

Congratulations - a successful take off. Balancing the rudder for a straight take off would have been fun. Very enjoyable Ollie - keep it up.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: