Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 23, 2019, 10:17:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exploding Extra Color tins  (Read 271 times)
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 31

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2019, 08:02:21 AM »

Anyone come across this before?

I just opened 3 new tins of Extracolor silver and all three opened with a very loud bang. The contents where clearly under pressure, inside the paint had taken on a gel like appearance with a very lumpy sticky texture, there was still gas tapped in the paint which bubbled out. Stirring it just produces a lumpy silver glue, you can turn the tin upside down and it won't come out

I luckily had one already opened tin that has the done the job but I've not come across this before it looks like some kind of chemical reaction. I tried thinning it but its just a lumpy mess to be honest and not worth the effort.

Pic 1 Extracolor silver paint

Pic 2 Extra sticky blobby mess

Chris
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Exploding Extra Color tins
Exploding Extra Color tins
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 12:12:54 PM »

Is it possible that these tins were improperly stored? Maybe they were exposed to high temperatures somewhere along the line?

The Threadkiller!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »

Guess they must have been Crabby, or maybe just very old stock, they do have a slightly different label to my other tin of silver . I stored them with my other tins of enamel, many Extracolor all without problems. The build up of pressure as it goes off is odd though not seen that before
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »

Maybe you aren't the culprit, maybe is was the retailer or someone in sequence... something caused the solution to gas off.

The Threadkiller!
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »

Hi Chris,

I had exactly this problem last year and wrote to Hannants about it.  I think the problem tins were old stock.  They were unusable, as you describe - just a jelly blobbly mess.  The latest tins I bought from them have been fine.  It's only the Xtracolor silver paints that I have ever seen the problem with.

Mike S
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 02:06:56 AM »

Thanks Mike. My problem tins do have a slightly different label. I think it might be worth an email to Hannants too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: