Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2019, 11:34:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's current state of the art for receiver batteries  (Read 131 times)
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »

Just assume I've been asleep for the past 10 years.

What are folks using for receiver batteries in nitro powered RC planes these days?  Still NiMH, or is everyone using little lipos and regulators?

I'm building a control line scale, need a receiver battery for the throttle control.
VictorY
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 12:43:09 AM »

State of the art, in my opinion, is a 2 cell LiFe run direct to a high voltage(HV) servo through a receiver that is rated for HV. They hold their charge for very long periods and are happy doing so, unlike Lipo batteries that need to be stored at around 60% capacity. Or, if you want to go old school standard voltage NiMH and standard servos, I've found that the best AA cells on the market are Energizer rechargeables soldered up into 4 cell packs. You don't really need a voltage regulator unless you want to run HV batteries and standard servos for some reason.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 09:17:29 AM »

Another option would be 1S Lipo direct with no regulator. This is standard in RC gliders especially DLG but bear in mind that the batteries are often quite high capacity as they double up as noseweight and so voltage drop is minimal under servo load. My F3-RES Slite uses a single 1200mAh cell and I can fly two or three sessions without charging. I also have small 30" DLG's that will do 2-3 hours on a 1S 300mAh with two Emax 9251 servos (2.5g). You might not want to go too small with 1S lipos as the voltage will drop more and you may be better with a 2S and a 5-6V volt regulator. It just depends on the servo requirements.

Obviously on 1S you will have slightly reduced servo speed but I've never found this to be a problem.The other potential issue is receiver brown out - usually about 3.3V but again, never been an issue for me (Spektrum/Multiplex) as long as the capacity is reasonable.

If you decide to use 2S give me a shout and I can provide details of a 0.3g volt regulator I make. Or slightly heavier commercial items are available.

(PS this is standard small glider practice - I'm not sure what IC/CL guys would use.)

Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: