Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 15, 2019, 03:00:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NFFS Golden Age 1/2A Q  (Read 181 times)
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2019, 07:14:28 AM »

I see that the Satellite 320 is on the NFFS Approved design list for Golden Age 1/2A ( https://freeflight.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/GoldenAge1-2A-2019-2020.pdf )

I also see that BMJR has a LASER kit for the 320, but in the description it says:

"On May 8, 1975 Bill and Bob Hunter released the Satellite 320 GLH as part of the series 75 line of winning free flight designs. 38 years later, the National Free Flight Society (NFFS)  selected the 1/2A Satellite for one-design competition in 2013.  The GLH logo stood for Goes Like Hell. The BMJR satellite is true to the original plan with wing span o f 48" and an area of 320 sq. in. (actually thru the wonders of AutoCAD the exact area is 318.8965, not bad calculating Bob). With a Cox Medallion .049 for power our Satellite 320 has a flying weight of 8.1 oz."

( https://www.bmjrmodels.com/free-flight/classic-free-flight/satellite-320 )

The question then: Is the BMJR 320 eligible for Golden Age?

More to the point: Is the 320 GLH the same as the "SATELLITE 320 – B. HUNTER – MIDWEST KIT – 1958 " as shown in the NFFS approved design list?

Thanks

Rich

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »

Rich,

The dates for Golden Age 1/2A are 1957 to 1969.  The GLH Satellite didn't appear until 1975. If I recall correctly, the GLH version was considerably different from the earlier Satellites. Looks like you'll have to forgo the BMJR kit.

You might want to compare plans to see if some of the kit parts might be used for the older design.

I'm glad that the Golden Age event has been added. The cut-off date for the Nostalgia events (1956) was 63 years ago---the end date needs to be moved up as modelers age. I wish the cut-off would move up to 1969 for Nos Rubber as well---lots of good designs in the last Zaic Year Book, which came out in 1965. You might want to look at some of the British power models in that Zaic book. Remember, scaling is allowed. (I particularly like Mike Green's Trans-Galatic II---Union Jack wing construction, rear fin, under cambered wing. But the tapered wingtips make more a Hawker Hurricane than a Spitfire compared to the elliptical wing of the Satellite.)

Louis
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:27:07 AM »

Just a note, we have added a Vintage Wakefield event to our line up at our Oregon contest this year. Idea is to find out how well it will be received. The years go from 1951 to 1980. If it looks like there is interest I'll go nation wide. I myself plan on building a Cloud 9 from 1965 and get 50 gr. of rubber.   
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 06:29:23 AM »

Hi Bruce,

I wish it wasn't such a long haul out to Oregon! Glad to here that you've pushed the date up to 1980---that allows a lot of good designs but cuts off just before the "modern" F1B era.

I've been eyeing the elegant El Marusan design by Bruno Murari (64-65 Zaic Year Book page 81). Egg crate wing construction, long tail moment arm, etc.---would be a "fun" build. Or I could take the easy route and build the design at the bottom of page 91---simple and easy.

Good luck with the contest, I hope it builds interest in nostalgia events that focus on models that many of us are actually nostalgic about.

Louis
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »

I see that the Satellite 320 is on the NFFS Approved design list for Golden Age 1/2A ( https://freeflight.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/GoldenAge1-2A-2019-2020.pdf )

More to the point: Is the 320 GLH the same as the "SATELLITE 320 – B. HUNTER – MIDWEST KIT – 1958 " as shown in the NFFS approved design list?

Thanks

Rich

The GLH is not the same as the Midwest kit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: