Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2019, 01:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: auto rudder on kk caprice  (Read 220 times)
Jim Jorgensen
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »

I am going to build a KK caprice glider and am having trouble understanding how the auto rudder is supposed to work. The plans show a rudder "control horn," which is just a piece of .032 bent wire, but I just can't visualize how it works, or why it needs two control arms. I would think one side would be permanently attached to the vertical fin and moveable rudder, and thus, not need a control horn on the fixed side, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 12:41:27 PM »

One end of the horn attaches to the line to the towhook, the other to a band which pulls the rudder over when the line releases. The band goes to a pin in the fin somewhere
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 12:46:25 PM »

Hard to say without a view of the drawing.

Most probably the arm on the fixed part of the fin is to be connected to the one on the movable side with a rubber band or spring to pull the rudder tab into a second position once it is set free.

Better said, first position is straight for towing, second is to one side for circling after releasing from the tow-line.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:18:42 PM »

I think my version is as the drawing but it was built some time ago and I do not have the drawing.

The first pic of the RH side (looking forward) without stab fitted, shows the glide position.  The rubber band pulls the wire forward.
Note the small balsa wedge used to trim the glide circle.

The second pic shows the LH side for the glide setting with the wire away from the fin being pulled as above.

The third pic shows the LH side with the wire stop hard against the fin using the nylon line to the release pulled tight to overcome the tension of the rubber band on the RH side.  This gives the tow position.  Adjust by bending the wire.

Easier done than described.  If you need any more pics feel free to ask.

The Caprice is a great little model.  Don't bother with the wing tip "fences".  Mine have been worn away by landing and getting blown about on concrete runways and taxiways.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: auto rudder on kk caprice
Jim Jorgensen
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 03:46:10 PM »

RalphS. thanks much. Pictures are worth a thousand words. The way I visualized it the wire had to be glued, at least on one side, to both the fin and the rudder. What is confusing to me still is the rudder seems to be in the same position in all three pictures. The amount it moves must be minimal.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 07:39:02 PM »

That's a very simple and clever way to do it! May come in handy if I finish up my glider project soon.
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 05:51:30 AM »

The amount it moves must be minimal.

Just checked.  The rudder offset at the TE is approximately 1/8" for the glide position.  Aim for a large turn circle.

The rudder position in the tow position is just visible the other way.  You need enough to overcome warps (intentional and unintentional) to get a straight tow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: