Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 10:47:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking for information/advice about using a Gizmo Geezer  (Read 121 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2019, 07:49:27 AM »

Good Morning folks,
I just received a 7" and 9.5" Gizmo Geezer assembly, having decided to give them a try after reading so much about flyers raving about them.

My initial reaction upon opening the package was "What an ingenious bit of engineering!" It is fascinating to play with it out of the modeland see how the transmission engages and disengages. However I do admit that the idea of stuffing 8 strands of 1/8" rubber into the sleeved clevis would make me a little nervous.

So I'm wondering what secrets there are to the care and feeding of these critters might be to ensure using them successfully? I have modified the nose block of my Chieftain to install the 7" driven by 4 strands of 3/32" tan rubber.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:39:37 AM »

They are indeed ingenious and work extremely well. My only concern was the certain knowledge that I would drop something in the long grass.
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »

No braiding is required (or recommended).  The engineering stops the "unwinding" before the motor goes slack, so that preserves the balance.  In addition, the ease of thrust adjustment makes this a must-have.

One caution that you need to be aware of is the "parking" of the motor and prop after winding and before launch - and how to reactivate the motor.  I am sure the instructions cover this handy feature.

Here is a video that I made a few years ago that shows how the motor stays taught and the prop is in "park" before launch.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BgRcCjGxY

Oh - do NOT lose the winding adapter - they are IMPORTANT (you cannot wind the motor without them) but easy to misplace.

--george

VictorY
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:09:01 AM »

6 strands(3 loops) of 1/8 goes in pretty easy but any more and you might be stuffing rubber. Worst case scenario you can make a hook of some kind that goes between the rubber and sleeved clevis, but I don't know how much torque the system can take. Any more than what my P-30 motor tests required and I'd be wary of something letting go. I'd like to know how much torque people have regularly got away with.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »

Good am Dan,  I had the same question about stuffing all that rubber into the clevis, but I did find you can finesse a crockett hook into that area....I have an older geezer assb'ly and it really isn't made for a crockett but I wiggled and fussed till it worked...perhaps you can try it, and maybe the one you have will accommodate a crockett better than mine did... of course you can always make your own hook.... freeflight is mastering the art of test and fuss
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Looking for information/advice about using a Gizmo Geezer

The Threadkiller!
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 09:45:02 AM »

I agree that the tiny size of the loose bits made me think " I can lose one of those things in less than 2.4 seconds, so I think I better order extras right now!" I plan to do that today.

The instruction sheet recommends tying the winder attachment to the winder with a lanyard, but I haven't quite figured out how that works unless I make a tiny clip to hook onto the attachment.
There was a screw up in packaging with a winder attachment and clevis pin missing from one, and a clevis pin missing from the other.  Volare is making good so no problem there.

Crabby a small Crockett hook fits in the clevis with no problem. I haven't checked if a medium hook will fit as well.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Looking for information/advice about using a Gizmo Geezer

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: