Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 25, 2019, 11:17:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SCALEMASTERS 2019 South Australia  (Read 834 times)
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 06:03:17 AM »

Hi Pete - you are very welcome - to answer your question: yes many fields are moonscapes! Not many like like Old Warden or Geneseo! - though the field in Richmond (New South Wales) is a turf farm and pics looks beautiful. I hope to go there one day. On the way home I did spot an indoor venue that is not dissimilar in condition to the Cardington Sheds when I had a chance to fly there in '94! I will tell the F1D guys - they'll be pumped. :-)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: SCALEMASTERS 2019 South Australia
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:49:03 AM by THB » Logged

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 06:38:04 AM »

Yes thank you all,  a very inspiring event.  And the photos very good.  The site is a bit like a more friendly version of  Beaulieu or Chobham Common.

Tim, Old Warden has its draw backs - not very large, awkward shape and retrieving can be a bit difficult.  But we are grateful nonetheless. 
SWK
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 07:57:57 AM »

And, here's a couple more.

For those interested in getting a feel of the site and its surrounds in google earth or similar.  34°42'10"S 139°26'40"E
The site undulates a lot, more than Google Earth would seem.

SWK
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:09:34 AM by SWK » Logged
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 12:00:05 PM »

Dave, please tell us all those models (especially the Avia) survived that horrible surface!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 02:27:13 PM »

Thanks for the report and pics, looked like a great event. The ground does look very unforgiving to our British eyes , I hope all survived well too.

dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2019, 10:56:04 PM »

Well we are on the way to being unpacked and I've had some sleep, Thanks to Tim and Stephen for their reports.
   We arrived in the afternoon on Friday and were able to put up the signs to direct the flyers to the field. Luckily Maris and David arrived soon after and after a few test flights were able to find the best place on the property from which to launch from, we were then able to set up the shelter for the BBQ and Tea and Coffee. We then went back to the clearing around the Hanger and erected our tent and heated up some tea.  We were then able to set up a camp fire as the temperature dropped to 5deg.C. Up at 5.15  and out to the field. Not long after the Flyers started to arrive and th smell of Bacon, Sausages and Eggs filled the air.
   The weather was as good as it gets here in South Australia and apart from a few wind gusts during the day we were able to fly until about 5.00 pm.
   There were a noticeable lack of Scale models but this was made up for by the very enthusiastic Ebenezer flyers.
   After the flying a group of 10 of us went into the Mannum Hotel for tea approximately 35 klms away and had a  great meal.    Here's a video of my ageing BV222 taken by my daughter Dianne that to me is what FreeFlight Scale is all about.https://youtu.be/OnT8lBmr6EY
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 12:04:17 AM »

You have clearly had a great weekend. The BV 222 really has presence and with that background it is almost surreal. Good to see so many Ebbenezers. We really should try and attend.
Ricky
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 03:36:12 AM »

Always welcome Ricky.
  The girls got the fire going again Saturday night after we retuned from the hotel and as the weather was a bit warmer we all got at least 2 hours sleep only woken by a few showers of rain, WHAT, in the driest state in the driest continent I somehow, out of 365days, picked one on which it would rain.
     At the flight line at 6.00am it was dead calm and no rain, conditions stayed like that for around 31/2 hours until the wind started to build and as we were dismantling the shelter the rain started. As expected there were only about 10 cars of flyers on Sunday down from around 20 during Saturday.
  To give those of you unfamiliar with our country side a better idea here is a video kindly shot by Peter from his drone on Saturday https://youtu.be/5-XXPvS5lHc
    A few more Photos, the final one is of the property owner Wayne heading out in his Turbulent to try and find THB's Ajax,
I recon it was just an excuse for a fly on such a lovely day
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 04:45:09 AM »

You know when I first started reading this topic I felt how nice it would have been to have been there.  But now I am not so sure. OK the slightly hostile surface might be one thing but the dirt roads, it looks as though it were cold, you CAMP?.... no bath, you cook on an open fire!  What else ... snakes, scorpions  monster lizards psychotic emus. For heavens sake are you all masochists?  No thank you - and I thought Old Warden was a bit Spartan?  Good on you of course but not for me! 

However both videos were super - has your daughter done much shooting of model aeroplanes - my guess is she has.  As you say - what FF is all about.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 06:20:27 AM »

Well David, I would not expect anything less of a group of flyers that recently COMPLAINED about how long the grass was at their flying field and how hard it was to locate them after landing, we all thought that was such a hardship!  Grin  You also forgot about the Kangaroos and the Wombats.
   Each Flyer is given a card for each to vote on their top 3 models, we have found this to be a very agreeable system and usually easy to work out various winners of the classes.
Photo 1  Maris Dislers Won the Gary Sunderland Memorial Trophy flying the Late Peter Twiss's Luton Minor.
             Maris also was awarded the Power Scale Award for his REP.
Photo 2  Tim (THB) took out Best Rubber with his Fanera
Photo 3   Steve Nelson won Best Kit Scale with his Dumas Pietenpol and also Best R/C Display with his many Scale   
              models.
Photo 4   David Nearmy was awarded Best Appearing Ebenezer for his Mills Powered Fokkernezer.
              Geoff Wood was the winner of the Scale E Nezer for is Widgeon , Walrus and Prestwick Pioneer Ebenezers but
              had left before the presentation so it was accepted by THB on his behalf
Photo 5  Stephen Kittel was awarded for his electric original Ebenezer that just flew so well
Photo 6  I was awarded the Best Electric award for my BV222 and after several short flights my Avia BH11 was chosen as the Model of the Meet.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 06:28:11 AM »

Bill the Avia did sort of survive, it has lost a few spark plugs and a rocker or 2.  It does have a design fault that will be rectified in that the banded on wings on "landing" would pop out of their dowels and managed to poke a couple of hoes in the Fuselage tissue, the wing will soon be mounted on wire in tube!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 03:55:08 PM »

Dave, I like your riposte - and you are a bit right of course!  The commitment of the people there is amply demonstrated as well.  I suppose some of us are a bit squeamish - the thought of some of those superb models being subjected to rather hostile conditions is a bit hard!!  My goodness you do put in some effort all told. Those awards richly deserved of course.

I attach a shot of one of the sites up with which we must put - about 30mins from where I live.  A retired but still under Military control airfield some where in England.  But we can only use it probably for no more than ten days a year!! The military have precedence.  It is perhaps about 1000 acres, is pretty small by your standards.  Cows and the occasional bull graze there and cows have a penchant for tissue covered balsa wood..  So nothing is perfect. 

PS  Wink
John Webster
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

The sun illuminates the structure.

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 04:54:08 AM »

Looks like everyone had a great time. Breakfast, flying, lunch, flying, dinner with talk of flying and social lubricants around a campfire where you discussed flying.

Sounds like a couple of very good days.

A pilot starts out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: