Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2019, 12:04:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fokker E-V/DVIII from Aero-werkes build thread.  (Read 2611 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »

I just ordered the Fokker E-V/DVIII kit from Dave Cowell of Aero-werkes. I have experience with the fantastic laser cutting Dave does and I'm really looking forward to my first foray into building a model with real scale detail!

I don't have the camera skills and assistants like BloodRoot and Mandrake that the Last Woodsman has, but I will do my best to document this build.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Fokker E-V/DVIII from Aero-werkes build thread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:04:10 AM by Dan Snow » Logged

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:28:42 AM »

Hi Dan.  Smiley   Looking forward to your D8 scale build.  Cool  Dave Cowell sure does make really great, nice laser cut kits.   Shocked  I have built three of them.   Mandrake and Bloodroot look forward to learning from your build too -  they like the D8 also - and are studying the pic.

Pic     Mandrake and Bloodroot are captivated by the Fokker D8

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Re: Fokker E-V/DVIII from Aero-werkes build thread.

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
steveneill
FAC Squadron Ventura Model Aviators
Silver Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 12:08:34 AM »

Been there done that. You'll like the build. Just first rate.

https://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/U-812/DVIII/DSCN4175.jpg

https://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/U-812/DVIII/DSCN4174.jpg

https://vimeo.com/330920388

Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 12:46:00 AM »

Hi Dan,

Agree with Steve and Richard, looking forward to your build, and please post some pics.  I think you'll find Dave's kit to be very close to perfect.

Don M
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 07:06:54 AM »

I started doing a little research looking for color schemes and oh my!! It is quite daunting and I seriously question my covering chops to come up with something that doesn't look like an enraged chimp on a sugar rush did it!!

THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 07:15:29 AM »

Dan - you've got this. One of my favourite airplanes too. Looking forward to seeing the progress
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »

As an aside, for those wanting modern scale, I highly recommend grabbing the free downloadable plans of Pres Bruinings DeHavilland Otter and get the short kit parts from Dave Cowell. Great build, and from preliminary testing will be a good flyer!

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 12:52:17 PM »

You can't go wrong with DPC/Aero-Werkes products. I also built the 21" Fokker D.8 a few years ago and really enjoyed it. The lozenge scheme on mine was printed tissue from templates on the CD kindly provided by Dave Cowell with the kit. Another thing I loved were the perforated paper pieces which rolled up to make the Spandau jackets.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 07:19:15 PM »

Seeing the pictures is getting me amped up about getting and starting this kit.  I just hope the check gets there in time for him to ship it before he goes on vacation!!

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 04:54:20 PM »

The Fokker Is Here!  (OK, that was tacky but I couldn't resist)  Grin

First, a BIG Shout-Out to Dave Cowell of DPC Models and Aero-werks.  Great service, great quality and a down right nice guy!

PIc#1 is the box. Boring, I know, but if I'm going to emulate LastWoodsman I might as well start from the beginning beginning, right?

Pic #2 Nice color artwork, and very neat and professional packaging.

Pic #3 Dave's fantastic laser cutting! Even the card stock, especially the perforated pieces for the Vickers and what I think are etched pieces to simulate cylinder fins.

Pic #4 All inclusive parts sheet to figure out what all the bits are and where they go!

Pic #5 Very nice tissue markings

Pic #6 And after a quick trip to Staples, 3 full size sets of plans. I always make a extra or two so I can cut one up to fit the building board.

It might be a day or two before I can start actual building. We are finishing up a major house cleanup, including almost filling a 20 cubic yard duster. We've been here 22 years and stuff just keeps accumulating if you don't occasionally throw things away!!

Stay tuned.  I hopefully will have located a couple of helpers by the time I'm ready to start!

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 08:16:53 AM »

When you've lived in the same house for 20 years, it is astonishing the amount of "stuff" you can accumulate!!  We realized this after what we went through cleaning out my moms house so we could get it on the market, and they had been there for 35 years! Gave us the kick in the butt we needed to orgsanize our own house. Any way, I digress. The cleanout is complete so on to the build!

BTW- The help wanted poster is out for assistants, but has been a dearth of applicants so far. Sad

Pic #1 Sorting out the strip wood and getting the plans covered with wax paper. And yes, I primarily use CA, with epoxy, white glue and wood glue in spots.

Pic #2 Pins everywhere!!  

Pic #3 First side complete. Yes, I moved the rear peg forward on bay. Smiley

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 09:25:07 AM »

This is why I should NOT build without an assistant!!  As I get older I get more feeble minded and fumble fingered and I seem to need more help! Smiley Smiley Smiley

It took no time at all for me to make my first "Oh Sh*t!" on this build. As can clearly be seen in Pic #1, the top and bottom longerons extend 1/16" forward of the first upright. And yet for some reason, even though I Built the sides to the plan, when I took the sides off I immediately sanded the protruding bits flush.  It wasn't until I was going over the plans and parts to get ready for joining the sides that I realized those bits were to slot into the F1 former! DOH!!!  Pic #2 shows I had to add the bits back on.

As an added bonus I didn't see that the first upright had shifted out of vertical on the first side. Thusly, when I built the second side on top of the first, it's first upright was also off vertical.  After squaring it up I decided to add a gusset between it and the top longeron.  

Perhaps I can get through at least the rest of the fuselage before another gaffe strikes.  Or maybe I should wait until I find an assistant!

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 12:18:30 PM »

Dan, someday you ought to try building on a magnetic board its a real treat. Thanks for pointing out your mistakes...we thought you were perfect this whole time! Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »

Actually Crabby, the reason I found the Oops was in the process of setting up my magnetic board!  First used on the Chieftain it convinced me to use it again. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 06:22:40 PM »

With repairs made to the sides I'm now starting to set up the mag board.  I haven't hired an assistant yet, so I asked my little family from Germany to assist for now.

Pic #1 Fritz, Freida, Wilhelm, Gunther and little Greta watch as I set the uprights.  I came across the family at a sidewalk vendor about a block away from Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin, way back in 2001.

Pic #2 The little Family. Fritz is about 2" tall and little Greta is only about 3/8"

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »

More progress on the fuselage, and a bit of frustration with one of the parts.

Pic #1 With the bottom cross pieces installed it was time to flip the fuselage over and install the top formers.  Something that puzzles me a bit is that starting at the firewall by the time I got to the tail post I was almost 1/8" short!

Pic #2 The only part so far to be an issue is the cockpit sheeting. It is laser cut to the perfect size from 1/32" sheet. The issue is it is laser cut from 1/32" sheet. This means at the fuselage centerline it has a cross section of about 1/32" square, Crossgrain! I think there was a small crack in the carrier sheet because it split when I went to cut the piece free and split the part at the thinnest section. I tried to repair it with the tiniest bit of glue possible but that just made it crack a little bit further along. 

Pic #3 I'm going with gluing the ends of the sheeting down and then gluing from the edge to the center.

steveneill
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 01:00:11 PM »

That's new to the kit and I just built mine a couple of months ago. There was no cockpit sheeting you were just supposed to use bond paper which I did. This would have made it easier. Sometimes it's better to just wet the wood first before bending it. You probably know this already.

I just wet it, bend it around and either rap tape around it ot use rubber bands. Keep at it there's nothing that can't be adjust your are doing great!

Still haven't been able to fly mine yet as we don't have an indoor site yet. I'm working on it but the locals  hear model airplane and they thin drones and loud engines. I'm trying to educate them and get a gymnasium to use. Hopefully you don't have this problem. Wink

ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »

That has the look of a fairly nasty hard  piece of 1/32.  As Steve says the right grade of wood would give you that curve all by itself with a lick of the tongue on one side.  I would have ditched it and made another I think
steveneill
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »

A lick of the tongue. I like it. Wink Agreed softer balsa and the lick. Wink

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 04:26:40 PM »

That has the look of a fairly nasty hard  piece of 1/32.  As Steve says the right grade of wood would give you that curve all by itself with a lick of the tongue on one side.  I would have ditched it and made another I think
Yes, and thick 1/32 too!  In those situations I stick on a full piece of sheet and then cut out the hole
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 04:59:12 PM »

Problem was it was broken before I got it off the carrier sheet.  Not a biggie, with a little persistence and some gel CA I was able to get it reasonably where I wanted it. A very little bit of filler and some light sanding and you'll never know it was cantankerous!

Steveneill all my flying will be outdoors unless something miraculous were to occur.  As far as I know there are only two free-flight folks within a 100 miles of me and they are not the sociable types. One even told me that he has almost unlimited access to an indoor site, but has made no offer to share. Perhaps he can;t, no idea.  As for flying, it's been an insane winter and spring.  A lot more late spring rain than usual, and it it wasn't raining the fronts were moving in or out and it was windy!  I currently have 5 models waiting for trimming flights!

Further updates:
Pic #1 The basic construction of the fuselage is done. A couple of bits to add and some cleanup and sanding to do.  The fit of the laser cut parts has been excellent.  As shown I have the layout of the stab done. I had to make a decision here and I may have decided wrong. The stab structure per the plan is designed for micro RC, so it has a double spar across 3/4 of the stab. To use the excellently laser cut parts that match the stab to the fuse, this secondary spar needs to be there. However once I got it glued together I had a smack myself in the head moment when I realized I just added unneeded weight to the TAIL of a model that has no NOSE moment!! Arrgh.

Fritz is trying his best to help, but this is why I really need to find an assistant. FAST!!  Grin

Pic #2  Has anyone built using this glue? I don't remember where I got the idea to try it, but so far I like it.  The fuse is about a 60%-40% CA to Elmers, while the stab is 100% Elmers. It gradbs pretty quickly, but does give time to reposition things.

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »

Something that puzzles me a bit is that starting at the firewall by the time I got to the tail post I was almost 1/8" short

That means the side frame drawing is not correct; it must not be drawn "true length." Overall length will foreshorten as the sides are brought together at the tailpost; this is more pronounced on a wide, "short" fuselage.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:38:47 PM by Indoorflyer » Logged

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 09:00:10 PM »

Finished the basic construction on the tail feathers today.  The outline of the fin is a double lamination pf 1/32" x 1/16". 4 minutes in the microwave submerged in water and they bent like cooked spaghetti  Grin

Then I got side tracked by the engine and worked on that for a while.

Pic #1 is the obligatory frame shot.  Dang that vertical fin looks small!

Pic #2 The cowl is trimmed and after a few swear words the motor laminations are together and the paper cylinders are installed. A base coat of black today. Tomorrow I'll work on the rockers, exhausts and pushrods.

Also at some point I need to decide on what type of prop hub and prop to use.

steveneill
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 12:59:24 AM »

Looks great! BTW I got to do some test glides with  the small stab and little dihedral she glided very well missing the lawn and doing a wheel landing on the sidewalk. Lucky me.

Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 01:22:01 AM »

Very nice work Dan!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: